Fish pond safety requirements- obligations of landlords info

I've spent the morning ringing around a few agencies to find out what my legal obligations as a landlord are for safety pertaining to a fish pond on my rental property:

Fish ponds are exempt from pool and safety fencing requirements per the Australian Building commision website:

"What are safety barriers NOT required for?
Structures not used principally for swimming, paddling or wading including bird baths, fish ponds, fountains, dams and water supply/storage tanks
Swimming pools or spas not capable of containing a depth of water greater than 300 mm
Inflatable swimming pools (typically toddler or wading pools) not capable of containing a depth of water greater than 300mm
Spas inside a building that are used for personal hygiene such as a spa bath in a bathroom."

Information from my local council via phone call to planning department- City of Onkaparinga in SA - "no documents are available/ no council regulations exist."

Phone call to Legal Services Commision hotline: "I don't know try calling the Residential Tennancy branch or try asking a personal lawyer."

Phone Call to the Residential Tennancy branch SA- "as there is no legal regulation in place for safety requirements pertaining to fish ponds, if the tennant were to injure themselves on the pond, you would not have broken any law, it is just the tennants responsibility to exercise common sense, however- you could furthur protect yourself with a clause in the lease agreement something along the lines of- the tennant is to excercise caution with regards to safety around the fish pond, as no legal requirements exist pertaining to its presence on the property"

OK over to you experienced property managers or any Lawyers willing to comment...

In the one place we had a fish pond, even though it is raised up from the ground, there are easy climbing "steps" up to it. We filled it in and planted it out. No way did we want any child to drown in it, whether or not we could be sued...

I wouldn't like to comment other than if you know about a problem in your property and a tenant and visitor is injured then you can be held liable.

I don't know how animals would be treated, but they would probably be property of the tenant and if your negligence has resulted in the damage to the property of the tenant then the tenant would probably have a basis to sue. Whether they would win or not is another matter.

I would also like to argue with Dazz that all lawyers do is argue.

In the one place we had a fish pond, even though it is raised up from the ground, there are easy climbing "steps" up to it. We filled it in and planted it out. No way did we want any child to drown in it, whether or not we could be sued...
This is exactly why we did the same with our very first IP except we were able to remove the actual pond (and a few rocks) and installed into our PPOR. There are still some rocks & concrete there, but covered over & planted out.

I wouldn't like to comment other than if you know about a problem in your property and a tenant and visitor is injured then you can be held liable.

I don't know how animals would be treated, but they would probably be property of the tenant and if your negligence has resulted in the damage to the property of the tenant then the tenant would probably have a basis to sue. Whether they would win or not is another matter.

I would also like to argue with Dazz that all lawyers do is argue.

I've replied to the wrong thread - the one of about the dog injuring itself on the fence. That is why half the comments above don't make sense

my reading is if the pond is over 30cms deep, it needs a fence. end of story, whether its a fishpond, frog habitat, wading pool etc etc

my reading is if the pond is over 30cms deep, it needs a fence. end of story, whether its a fishpond, frog habitat, wading pool etc etc

correct... over 300mm of water you need a fence. the way around the depth is to install a peice of mesh on solid legs so that the depth from the top of the water to the top of the mesh is less than 300mm. Get the mesh in black and you hardly see it but the fishies can swim arouond merrily in their full depth water. (aluminium security mesh works well and will not corrode in the water)

obj232geo232pg11p26.png

Back