fitting new lever style door handles

I need to know if there is a knack to this and should I (we) just give up and let the experts do it!!

We've broken or incorrectly fitted three replacement sets I bought from Bunnings. They wern't sitting with handles completely horizontal no matter how much I fiddled. This last one, I've managed to break completely and the handles spin on the spindle.

Has anyone fitted the horizontal lever style handles and are you happy with them :(

seven handels have been fitted to our ppor, i have replaced now eight to date,
i think it was the fact i did not go with a better brand , like gainsborough, instead i tried to save some$$$ and went with "MADE IN CHINA" stuff.
i will know better next time ????????

a lot of the stuffis rubbish im afraid :(

similar story.

look great, but start to play up after 6 mths, and not functional after 8

ta
rolf

Different story here. I'm living in a house I put lever handles in about six years ago. I bought cheap ones and they are doing fine.

Only problem with them is that one of the cats seems to think if he jumps and hangs off the handle, the door will open. He hasn't managed it yet, but is trying.

As for putting them on horizontal, they are no different to normal handles. You need to make sure that the drill hole you fit from the narrow side of the door is horizontal. If you use a door handle drill bit on the flat side of the door, you should have plenty of wriggle room to for minor adjustments.

Jas

As for putting them on horizontal, they are no different to normal handles. You need to make sure that the drill hole you fit from the narrow side of the door is horizontal. If you use a door handle drill bit on the flat side of the door, you should have plenty of wriggle room to for minor adjustments.

Jas

Bingo!

I suspect that the striker has not been put in horizontal and as the handle attaches to the striker it will not (and cannot be) horizontal either.

A word of warning - the enlargement of the striker hole is a high stake gamble as there is not a lot of thickness in the door.

Cheers

Bingo!

I suspect that the striker has not been put in horizontal and as the handle attaches to the striker it will not (and cannot be) horizontal either.

A word of warning - the enlargement of the striker hole is a high stake gamble as there is not a lot of thickness in the door.

Cheers

I think you are referring to the latch not the striker.

Tools

We put in cheap horizontal brass handles in my old house a few years back, never had a problem, even with a small child who barges through her door every 7 minutes to tell me random things.

Bingo!

Cheers

i like your thinking but mine are spot on , i did them , it is not enough greese ?spell on mine they are aluminium on aluminium , soon they grind when turned, and break of at the same place every time, :rolleyes:

We put in cheap horizontal brass handles in my old house a few years back, never had a problem, even with a small child who barges through her door every 7 minutes to tell me random things.

Come on; it'd be about every 4 mins...:D

Don't forget the hand and finger prints.

Back on topic; I've done 4 renos, currently on no.5 and door handles are a pain in the derrier. This one we have bought in the chippy to hang new doors and furniture. Perfectly done, first time. It makes a difference going to semi-solid core doors too, I might tell you.

You are better to block up every hole with wooden plugs (I use wooden golf tees - perfectly shaped with a tapered tip - bang 'em into the existing holes and either snap off or cut) on both the doors and the frame and start again.

Come on; it'd be about every 4 mins...:D
Oh, we timed her. It's definitely 7 :p

We've just hung two hollow core Hume doors here, having some issues with one of them because there's only so much you can trim off them and we've come pretty close to it. The hinges keep working loose on one of the doors because there isn't enough wood left for the screws to go into - doesn't help that particular doorframe was much narrower at the bottom.

I forgot to check this thread. Forgot I complained about these flippin handles. :(

Currently living with three doors, glowing fresh white paint and 2 inch holes with no handles. Not very private.

Bayview I don't understand which holes you block up with wooden golf tees. :confused:

Jas, would you mind telling me what the difference is between a door handle drill bit and other bits? I only have the two inch hole saw hole in the door and then a rectangular piece chiseled out of the door edge. Are you saying that the flat steel piece probably isn't horizontal?

Maybe I will get a professional in to do them all and just watch so I know for next time.:cool:

I've fitted one from bunnings. It has a horizontal handle, and a little twist lock - which is why i bought it, for the toilet.

But the first one i brought home didn't quite fit properly, so i went back and asked one of the guys that was hanging around that area of bunnings, as to which handles are compatible with my handles which are from Gainsborough, and and he reccomended one that fitted perfectly. Exchanged handles and all was 100%.

Sometimes you have to ask a few people in bunnings the same question untill you find one who is sure of themselves about a particular subject, and you can tell that they are giving you a good answer.

Back