Flag Poles

If you think that behaviour contributes to the kind of world you want to live in, fill your boots I guess.

Person 1 engages in Act A.

Act A offends person 2.

Person 1 is offended by person 2 being offended by Act A, so vows to engage in more of Act A.

And this promotes harmony and de-escalates things how, precisely? :confused:

If you were talking about someone taking offence to someone sunbaking topless then yes, I would agree with you and I would take it into account, not throw it in their face even more. However, we are talking about someone living in Australia taking offence to the Australian flag. THAT would make me want to stand up for it even more. If anyone takes offence to the Australian flag, then they can go live in a country that has a different flag!

I see getting around that lots of people have a flag up . Why are you lot so sour about it ?

I live out of town a bit and the only thing that worrys me about it is that it might scare my wifes horse !

Good on you Shawn. Some of the comments on here are an embarrasment. Put up a big pole, with a big flag. Dig a hole 10 feet deep and fill it with half a tonne of cement. Leave the flippen thing up there till it flaps to bits, then put up another one mate.

I've never thought about a flag, but after the pathetic comments on here, I just might put up a 20 metre high one. And no idiot can tell me I can't do that where I live. Plenty of people fly the flag in these parts.

Cheers mate.

Firstly, Jaycee, before you post, please use your spell-checker and use correct grammar for a change. I am sick and tired of reading your posts several times over to have them make some sense....well, almost, anyway.:(
To you people who have some objection to some of us flying the Australian flag, all I can say is that you are un-Australian, and I am referring to Ozperp in particular, Jaycee, Dan C, Tess 85, and weg.
You have absolutely no sense of pride in this great country, and all you want to do is knock it, and the flag that represents this country of ours.
Do not confuse the bogans/idiots/jerks who ran riot in Sydney in the past with the average Aussie 'joe' who is proud of his country and is not ashamed to show it by flying the flag.
If you don't know why we fly the flag, then you're sadly out of touch.
The next thing you fools will be doing is protesting about the Anzac Day march.
Amy

If you buy an aluminium one, beware of overhead powerlines when you are carrying it around or setting it up..

A guy I know (electrician!) set up his catamaran in his front yard one day without looking up... The result was not pretty.

I cannot for the life of me see how someone could be offended by the Australian national flag . As I say , I live out of town a bit but if I lived on a postage stamp block in the city I could see how a flapping flag may be annoying , but never offensive .

By the sound of it there are a few laws relating to the flag that I,m going to school up on in the next few days . Yes , I will enquire at the council blah blah .

I have had a hankering to have a nice flagpole set up on my front lawn for a while . I don't really care what my friends and visitors think about it .

Being Australian and being patriotic is a good thing . I just want to look at my Flag and feel the pride of being a good citizen of this great country .

Now , while I'm writing about citizenship .....there is something that is underrated if ever there was ! Too many people don't value and appreciate what it means to be Australian . Money won't necessarily buy it ! I think the WW2 generation knew it ...

I'm thinking along the lines of what you say TC . That was a nice post ;)

No one has really answered my question though about what sort of material to use to build a nice sturdy but tasteful flagpole with . I'm thinking about 20metres high maybe ?

Shawn

Last edited:
To you people who have some objection to some of us flying the Australian flag, all I can say is that you are un-Australian, and I am referring to Ozperp in particular, Jaycee, Dan C, Tess 85, and weg.

Where did I post to say I object :confused:.

PF

Not good at construction so can't tell you what to build the flagpole out of, however would be concerned about the horse thing
Not good at horses either but told they are temperamental so and so's that shy at anything so if its very windy at your place, be careful, or you'll be in strife with the missus.

However if you are building it in the front yard it is probably not a problem because the missus wouldn't have the horse out there would she?

My old man fought a war so we could have that flag, if you choose to honor it, and display it, I for one say go for it

Slim:)

Where did I post to say I object :confused:.

Your comment.....

"I thought you had to be over 65 and have wagon wheels and garden knomes in your yard to qualify "

So you think you have to be over 65 and have wagon wheels and garden knomes (sic) in your yard to qualify to fly the Aussie flag?

I don't think so, and your comment was objectionable....and not funny.

Amy

Your comment.....

"I thought you had to be over 65 and have wagon wheels and garden knomes in your yard to qualify "

So you think you have to be over 65 and have wagon wheels and garden knomes (sic) in your yard to qualify to fly the Aussie flag?

I don't think so, and your comment was objectionable....and not funny.

Amy

Amy,

Putting flags in your yard was big with the old diggers and their immediate families, as were wagon wheels, plastic flowers propped into the ground, gnomes and gravel beds.

We all know these oldies had their flags up years ago, and had not intended to offend.

My comment was tongue in cheek (as stressed by the smilie which you did not quote) and was acknowledged by others as funny through sharing of kudos.

pursefattener, go for it and goodluck :).

Last edited:
I had an IP in Altona a few years back. Tenant installed a Western Bulldogs windmill in the front yard. Luckily I sold privately to a real estate agent friend of my mother who could see past this item that uh.. didn't exactly add value.

Yes it was the first thing she took down :p

Firstly, Jaycee, before you post, please use your spell-checker and use correct grammar for a change. I am sick and tired of reading your posts several times over to have them make some sense....well, almost, anyway.:(
You have absolutely no sense of pride in this great country, and all you want to do is knock it, and the flag that represents this country of ours.
Do not confuse the bogans/idiots/jerks who ran riot in Sydney in the past with the average Aussie 'joe' who is proud of his country and is not ashamed to show it by flying the flag.
If you don't know why we fly the flag, then you're sadly out of touch.
The next thing you fools will be doing is protesting about the Anzac Day march.
Amy

I apologise for my typo's but as for the rest of it, give me a break... no pride...complaining about ANZAC day, etc are you serious or trying to be provocative ?

Hey Purse Fattener,

I understand your desire for a flag, and support anyone who wants to fly one.

I was thinking more of the day to day practicalities above. BTW, I think my mate did his in 'aluminum'. But his neighbour from down the road was a sheet metal worker and fabricator, and was the local genius with aluminum welding.....the guy made the flag pole out of gratitude for my mate (a doctor) for healing his seriously ill wife. That flag pole meant a lot to my old mate. After a day in the clinic he worked from on his property, he'd look up at old glory and it would charge him and remind him of what he believed in. In the mornings, it would help fuel him with the energy to get through another day of dealing with people's broken spirits and bodies. The flag imbibed him with strength and optimism and purpose, which he in turn passed onto his patients. He died more than a decade ago, but he still stands in my mind, as the most revered person a community has ever revered. He was a shining light and a healer.....and his flag was very much what refueled him with light and optimism to pass on to others.

When I was in my late teens, I developed a deep respect for the founding fathers of the USA. I read a lot of Washington, Lincoln, and Jefferson....and was seriously inspired by it. That led onto my admiration for American inventiveness and entrepreneurial spirit. Edison, Ford, Firestone, Burroughs.....these self styled camping vagabonds who prized contact with nature to charge their minds and spirit with inventiveness to bless mankind, touched something in my core.

When I traveled to the US for the first time when 19, I remember being genuinely moved by the massive stars and stripes flying around Washington DC - Lincoln's Memorial, Washington Monument, Capitol, Smithsonian, Air and Space Museum, National Museum. Man, that whole strip lifted me and made me value liberty and democracy.

The two symbols that really left a mark on me on my first US trip were looking up at Abraham Lincoln and getting my first glimpses of the Statue of Liberty.

There was something awe inspiring about both. They represented something really really good and worth founding one's life meaning on.

I felt light and charged with energy after that first trip to the USA. When I landed back in Australia, the energy felt heavy and sluggish at Sydney airport, and moreso back in Brissie.

Seeing the US stuff highlighted how small minded and negative so many Australians were in the 70s. Knockers. And that knocker consciousness is still here. that's why Australia doesn't have the courage to stand up and lead the world in so many things we could easily excel in.
We don't really have a vision, nor a strong clear set of values to act as a compass when all looks glum and lost.

I am all for an aspirational, noble, can do mindset for Australia, one that values the opportunities our natural assets provide us, does not take them lightly, realizes they won't be around forever. The she'll be right attitude is such a cop out. It is what people think when they have no vision or desire to make the world a better place, to help more of life rise up out of poverty, ignorance, and despair.

I understand the thought processes of those who think nationalism is dangerous....after all, that's what despots like Hitler appealed to.....but I think a lot of them throw the baby out with the bathwater and get it wrong.......It was nationalism that drove other nations to stand up and defend themselves from Hitler.

There is nothing wrong and everything right about being clear and committed to what one thinks is good and right. How can you otherwise recognize when good and right is being eroded?

So, I am ok about flying the flag, especially when it inspires and reminds one of how lucky we are, and the obligation and responsibility we have to ourselves and the rest of the world to use our resources wisely, for the advancement of mankind and good of all.

With the uncertainties ahead of us, we need some big picture vision, something aspirational and inspiring.....we need polies who are statesmen, sure footed leaders who hold a beacon up and light the way forwards for those who fell paralysed with uncertainty and fear of doing the wrong thing or offending someone who might think differently. Courage, a bold heart, a a clear big vision. That's what we need more of.

Enough of this politically correct self doubting fear mongering paralysis that tries to suppress the rising spirit. It never built or inspired one person, let alone a nation, onwards and upwards to greater achievement.

Australia needs a vision......those who say we need a new flag....well a new flag, an inspired flag, will only come from inspired minds.....not a bloody committee of highly paid smug public servants. Let's get the vision and values thing happening first, then think about what flag represents that best. But one thing is for sure, I don't want a new flag based on compromise and not offending anyone.... A flag should unite a nation.....and those who don't understand that, don't understand why a united nation is important, ney, imperative for its survival. For if a nation is not united in values, is it then not divided against itself?

Last edited:
I apologise for my typo's but as for the rest of it, give me a break... no pride...complaining about ANZAC day, etc are you serious or trying to be provocative ?

Take your pick. Choose one or the other. Or both.

This is your previous post..

"nothing except for the fact that the people who draped themselves in it beleive in what they were doing iss the same as planting one in the front yard.
I'd believe those drongos would like seeing Aussie flag in ont of hosues cause that would show them that they live with people who belvie what they belive....thei verview of what would make a good Australia..."

Do yourself a big favour and try to differentiate between those few idiots who drape themselves with flags and make big di.ks of themselves, and those of us who wish to show their pride in their flag and country. I was flying my flag before ANY of these fools were even born, and possibly even before you were born.

My flag is not a large one, is flying over my backyard and NOT in the front yard to 'offend' anyone.

Do you suggest that I remove my flag just because it might give these jerks some sort of warm and fuzzy feeling that I'm one of them? Well, it just ain't gonna happen.

I will continue to fly the flag, irrespective of who I might offend.

Amy

If anyone is stupid enough to feel offended by the australia flag, then I can draw them a map as to where they can stick those feelings. :p
You've missed the point, and I'll try once more. :)

I don't object to the Australian flag. I served the Australian military for 7 years, my husband served for 12 years, my sister is serving in "an unnamed desert hotspot" right now, and hubby's first cousin was killed in Afghanistan serving in the British Army last year. I can proudly recount my Australian ancestry back about 5 generations on some branches. I've participated in more than a few ANZAC Day marches, and will do so again. (Have to get the uniform let out though :p)

I say again, I don't find the flag offensive, but I know that there are many people who are upset to see it flying, particularly on private homes, because whether you intend it or not - and I don't believe it's pursefattener's motivation - many people think it's sending a nasty message when it's on a private home, which isn't the same when it's on a public building.

Yes, I could say "well, they're wrong", and do it anyway to "stick it to them", but that's precisely the kind of action that escalates conflicts which eventually lead to war. To me, the ultimate respect to show to those who've died serving us is to ensure that their country remains the peaceful, harmonious place that they loved. They would want nothing more, IMHO, than for us all to just "get along", and not have any more wars.

It really doesn't matter whether their being offended is rational or reasonable, IMHO; I'm trying hard to emphasise that it's not about the flag. As several of you seem to have not understood my earlier example about the Maltese Terrier, I'll try another one... what about if my neighbour had been, for example, raped many years ago, and Pink Floyd was playing in the background at the time. I am playing Pink Floyd - completely inoffensive in itself (except against good taste, IMHO :p) - quite loudly one night when the neighbour's teenage son runs over and says to me: "Look, I know it's a bit dotty, but my Mum gets very distressed when she hears Pink Floyd" and tells me the story.

By Council by-laws, I have a right to play whatever music I like, as loud as I like, up until 11pm. It's only 7pm.

Do I play Pink Floyd at a louder volume for the next 4 hours, "because she can't tell me what to play and I have a right to play it", or do I choose to play something else, or turn it down? For me, I'd always choose the latter.

The fact that there's nothing offensive to you or I about the Australian flag is really beside the point; it's not about the flag. It's about doing something that you know upsets other people, when you could easily not do it, at very little cost to yourself.

To quote my Mum, my attitude would be: "I don't care who started, I'm finishing it!" I consider it a sign of courage to be the first to back down, when there aren't bigger principles at stake.

And I guess that's where we differ - many of you obviously feel that there are great principles at stake. I think our country can be completely wonderful and have all the wonderful symbols and unity of purpose etc, without having to fly the flag in my own yard. I don't have a flag in my yard, I don't have a Southern Cross tattoo, I don't have my car painted with the Aussie flag, and I don't wear green and gold undies, but I still feel very Australian, and a very proud Australian. :)

Peace to you all...

I don't have a Southern Cross tattoo, I don't have my car painted with the Aussie flag, and I don't wear green and gold undies, but I still feel very Australian, and a very proud Australian. :)

Peace to you all...

I see your point exactly. When flag flying becomes jingoistic, then there is a problem.

I cannot see how flying the Aussie flag in Australia could be offensive to anyone! Flying another country's flag here might be! Or if I lived in aznother country and wanted to fly the Aussie flag I might be pushing a few boundaries. But to not fly the flag here because it might offend someone is crazy. If the Aussie flag offends someone then why on earth are they here?

I think this is heading down the same path as kids not singing Christmas carols in case it offends the non- Christians.

Winston, you hit it on the head perfectly, kudos to you!:)

Yes, I could say "well, they're wrong", and do it anyway to "stick it to them", but that's precisely the kind of action that escalates conflicts which eventually lead to war. To me, the ultimate respect to show to those who've died serving us is to ensure that their country remains the peaceful, harmonious place that they loved. They would want nothing more, IMHO, than for us all to just "get along", and not have any more wars.

Great post Ozperp. Agree totally. :)

. I am playing Pink Floyd -

Not this one?

Us and Them
And after all we're only ordinary men
Me, and you
God only knows it's not what we would choose to do
Forward he cried from the rear
and the front rank died
And the General sat, as the lines on the map
moved from side to side

Peace does need to reign within all people - then it will reign in all countries - the world - under every flag. :)

Every time i have been to the US,that's the one thing that stands outeverywhere you go, their Flag is outside any business,home,fastfood outlet,why can't it be the same here,if people want to fly our flag then just do it,there is always one flying outside my fibro office,plus i have severalFlags that i have bought from the auctions over the years,from German U BoatsWW2,Japanese WW2,Australian WW1,and i'm sure everyone that stood or went underwater looking up at their flags,felt the same way..willair..

Back