Flag Poles

I want to put up a good flag pole and fly our great flag on my front lawn . Not to add value or anything but just because I want to .

I've looked at 4-5 metre aluminium poles on e bay for under 100 bucks . Includes flag , ropes etc .

What do all you gooks think ? I can't say it's something I have taken a lot of notice of in the past . I was thinking of maybe a wooden one or make up one out of some galv pipeing ???

I have teenagers who are a bit rough on things if you know what I mean ....so it needs to be very sturdy :confused:

A mate in the USA put in one that was about 20 metres. massive thing. he had a 25 acre property.

He was in the snow belt so didn't fly it half the year.
And then over one summer he went througha couple of flags due to strong wind. And the flag lines would always bang against the pole if they weren't tied up properly.

I reckon just take a stronger interest in your local government goings on. and keep the bestards honest.

Check with your Council; you usually need a permit to install a flagpole.

Though I have no idea what drives people to want to do such things. :confused:

Last edited:
I am sure also that you have to follow certain protocol with flags. Must be down by dusk or something like that.

I see getting around that lots of people have a flag up . Why are you lot so sour about it ?

I live out of town a bit and the only thing that worrys me about it is that it might scare my wifes horse !

I see getting around that lots of people have a flag up . Why are you lot so sour about it ?
When you're an Australian, in Australia, you're obviously not advertising your nationality, because we assume you're an Aussie. So what motivates you to want to fly one over your home? You already know (I assume) that some people will find it offensive, so what greater good is being served?

Yes, you have a right (provided you get Council approval) to fly a flag. But a right is not an obligation, and sometimes it's prudent to be wise and not exercise your rights.

My neighbour may have a completely irrational fear of, say, Maltese Terriers. I have an absolute right to have a Maltese Terrier, if I want to. But if I were getting a new dog and knew of my neighbour's position, I'd try and find another breed of dog that I like. :)

You already know (I assume) that some people will find it offensive, so what greater good is being served?

Some people would find it offensive that an Australian, chooses to fly an Australian flag in Australia? Tough S***! To me, that'd be all the more reason to fly it. :mad: I pressume you mean pursefattener that when you say you want to fly "our great flag" that you do in fact mean the Australian one... in which case good on you!

To me, that'd be all the more reason to fly it. :mad:
If you think that behaviour contributes to the kind of world you want to live in, fill your boots I guess.

Person 1 engages in Act A.

Act A offends person 2.

Person 1 is offended by person 2 being offended by Act A, so vows to engage in more of Act A.

And this promotes harmony and de-escalates things how, precisely? :confused:

When you're an Australian, in Australia, you're obviously not advertising your nationality, because we assume you're an Aussie. So what motivates you to want to fly one over your home? You already know (I assume) that some people will find it offensive, so what greater good is being served?

Yes, you have a right (provided you get Council approval) to fly a flag. But a right is not an obligation, and sometimes it's prudent to be wise and not exercise your rights.

My neighbour may have a completely irrational fear of, say, Maltese Terriers. I have an absolute right to have a Maltese Terrier, if I want to. But if I were getting a new dog and knew of my neighbour's position, I'd try and find another breed of dog that I like. :)

Don't agree with this. Anyone who finds the Australian flag offensive is as big a tool as those idiots who try and use it to demonstrate "white" Australia.

The flag should be a symbol of repect and identity of our nation. It is steeped in our national history - not just the last couple of years of hoodlums. We have numerous defense personel serving under this flag and have lost many good Australians from the past who have served under this flag.

I have seen many houses which have tastefully and 'correctly' displayed the Australian flag and it has "fitted" the property well.
And then I have also seen the crappy DIY jobs that are a disgrace and should be torn down.

Personally, I am not one to put a flag in my front yard - But I have no problem with anyone who chooses to do so tastefully, and in accordance with regulation.

Talk to your council, they will have the guidelines you need to follow.

Well I would never fly an Australian flag - but, on the other hand, I would never criticise someone who wanted to. If someone takes offense - then it's their problem IMHO. Hope it makes you happy PF. :)

nothing except for the fact that the people who draped themselves in it beleive in what they were doing iss the same as planting one in the front yard.

I'd believe those drongos would like seeing Aussie flag in ont of hosues cause that would show them that they live with people who belvie what they belive....thei verview of what would make a good Australia...

This is in the "adding value" section? A flagpole?

A plastic pink flamingo would add more value than a flagpole.

I'm reminded of the Cronulla riots where the locals draped themselves in Australian flags - and more recently, the Manly riots
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/manly-morons-racist-says-academic/2009/01/27/1232818417563.html

If you are just flying it on a flagpole outside your house that's fine, but I think I can also see where ozperp is coming from.

Understanding someone's POV does not mean agreeing with it.

Just because some bogan uses the flag in a disgraceful way, does not take away my right (or anyone elses) to display this proud natioal symbol correctly.

Understanding someone's POV does not mean agreeing with it. What does this mean ? Whose POV does who understand but not necessarily agree with ?

Just because some bogan uses the flag in a disgraceful way, does not take away my right (or anyone elses) to display this proud natioal symbol correctly.
No one said it did. They ust said in the current climate, thee are feeling it can bring up, surely you dont agree with taking away anyoness rights to feelings ?

If you think that behaviour contributes to the kind of world you want to live in, fill your boots I guess.

Person 1 engages in Act A.

Act A offends person 2.

Person 1 is offended by person 2 being offended by Act A, so vows to engage in more of Act A.

And this promotes harmony and de-escalates things how, precisely? :confused:

Agree 100%.

No one said it did. They ust said in the current climate, thee are feeling it can bring up, surely you dont agree with taking away anyoness rights to feelings ?

If anyone is stupid enough to feel offended by the australia flag, then I can draw them a map as to where they can stick those feelings. :p

I would find it offensive if anyone with half a brain found the australian flag offensive. To me it represents a Hell of alot more then the stupid bogans who decided to riot. Our flag is steeped in military history, of which my family has a strong personal connection. And a few tossers who don't even understand the meaning of the flag and our australian history, who don't show the flag the respect it deserves, do not get to reserve rights on it.

Back