Flat mate begs for $4...

No joke, my flat mate begged me for $4 last night because he is "broke as a joke", this was after telling me how ****ed up work was and he'd already called in sick tommorrow because of that - he asked if he could "pinch" the money off me, not borrow, so I assume there was no intention to pay it back.

What would you do in this situation and why?

Tell him, 'That's funny, I was just about to ask you for $5' & laugh it off as a joke. Seriously, ignore it! The more you buy into other peoples' victim-drama mentality, the more you fuel their fire.

I know I'm careful (ok, hee hee, tight) with money, but to me, $4 is $4. I worked for it & it's better in my pocket than someone else's. ('Look after the pennies & the pounds look after themselves')

Oh, & start looking or a new flatmate as it looks like him paying his half of the rent may soon become an issue too!

Good luck!

mate, I would just give him the $4 - its just loose change.

If he asks again convey in a friendly tone if he is borrowing this time....

Maybe have a quick read of 'The Richest Man in Babylon'....just a flipside to '...it's just loose change'

PS Not having a go at Melbournee, completely understand this viewpoint too...whatever works best for you :)

Maybe have a quick read of 'The Richest Man in Babylon'....just a flipside to '...it's just loose change'

PS Not having a go at Melbournee, completely understand this viewpoint too...whatever works best for you :)

understand your viewpoint completely as well :) Each to their own I guess.

Just that you gotta help a mate out sometimes- and as Evand says its not an amount to ponder and waste time over. Thats my 2 (X 200) cents ;)

Hi Melbournee,

I agree with you helping someone out...good karma & always comes back times three!

Maybe if Bon forks out the $4 willingly & with grace, he will find himself at least $12 richer & with a good feeling that comes from helping people to boot!

evand, sure I get what you're saying and that's why I gave him the $4, it simply wasn't worth the conflict when I have to live with the guy. But, it's not a one off incident and it's all been one way with the food, money, Internet being taken off me, most of the time unasked. If I give him $4 when he's worked a full week at work, what's he going to ask for when he doesn't work a full week from calling in sick? I earn less money than him, but I drive a $2500 car I paid cash for instead of a flashy $60k car he has to pay back $300/wk for and I buy my food instead of eating take out for every meal. Should I pay for his instant gratification lifestyle?

I won't be with the drop kick for much longer, moving out in 5 weeks and can't ****ing wait.

I am with Mat&Mary on this!

i am not a 'hand out' kind of person. because i have lived with parents that gave me the bare essentials and i had to sleep on a floor for 3mths after i moved out of home. (yes - they wouldn't give me a bed).

i held 2 jobs working 12 hrs a day 6 days a week just to support myself. and i was 18yr old only!

a leopard won't change it's spots. $4 turns into $8 then $16 - 'you get my drift'

my sister recently asked me for $4k (so she could pay off her car loan and sell the car and then promised to give it all back) but the problem was i had only just got back in touch with my sister after 5 years of turning my back on her for similar issues. THEN she recently showed me a photo of her 'brand new convertable'!!! WTF

i say it isn't the $4 as that is chump change to lots of us on here, but it is the fact that he can't be bothered even going to work or get a second job!

what was the $4 going to buy anyway??? a coffee?

Should I pay for his instant gratification lifestyle?

I won't be with the drop kick for much longer, moving out in 5 weeks and can't ****ing wait.

Flatmates are always a pain - be they stingy or spendthrifts! Human Nature... Thats the real issue at heart.

So u hav decided against the $4 "loan" which is good as well- In the end its what choice you feel happy with!

My guess is that you had decided against it before posting this thread- but just wanted validation of your decision. Justification rather than decision making
;-)

I would insist on a 12 month payment plan @ 20% interest to get that $4.00 back !!! I mean $4.00 is a serious investment and can not be laughed at.

Who knows, next time they may ask for $4.50, then what?

Cheers

Mick

No joke, my flat mate begged me for $4 last night because he is "broke as a joke", this was after telling me how ****ed up work was and he'd already called in sick tommorrow because of that - he asked if he could "pinch" the money off me, not borrow, so I assume there was no intention to pay it back.

What would you do in this situation and why?
I would be asking the question,,Why,4 bucks buys you stuff all in money terms,why only 4 bucks ..willair..

Tell him to hit on his mother for $100, then he'll be right for the next 25 weeks.

Seriously though, the guy needs an attitude change if he is that desperate when working full time.

So u hav decided against the $4 "loan" which is good as well- In the end its what choice you feel happy with!

My guess is that you had decided against it before posting this thread- but just wanted validation of your decision. Justification rather than decision making
;-)

no need to guess mate, re-read the thread and you'll find my decision in there.

evand, sure I get what you're saying and that's why I gave him the $4, it simply wasn't worth the conflict when I have to live with the guy. But, it's not a one off incident and it's all been one way with the food, money, Internet being taken off me, most of the time unasked. If I give him $4 when he's worked a full week at work, what's he going to ask for when he doesn't work a full week from calling in sick? I earn less money than him, but I drive a $2500 car I paid cash for instead of a flashy $60k car he has to pay back $300/wk for and I buy my food instead of eating take out for every meal. Should I pay for his instant gratification lifestyle?

That's good to read :cool:

I had a feeling that from your fed up tone, that he was a leech with everything but I wasn't expecting to read that he was that selfish of a git :eek: You really were getting taken for a ride, I wouldn't let that happen again.

Back