Floating or glued timber floorboards?

I'm looking into changing the current carpet on our apartment (PPOR) to floorboards (considering engineered timber laid on concrete), and have spoken to various builders and shops. The timber flooring will be in the living room / kitchen.

There are two schools of thought out there:

Floating:
This is better because the floorboards will be allowed the chance to contract and expand according to the weather, and having it not 'locked' to the floor would avoid the floorboards 'curving' as they expand against each other.

Glued:
This is better because it will be glued solidly to the ground, and avoid the 'loose' feel of the floorboards. It will also reduce the echo when walking over it.

I'm starting to get confused which floorboard would be better... I know that both seem to be well-recommended. Any feedback on my query would be greatly appreciated!!

it depends on the boards- and what is below you. If its another apartment below, you'll need to use an acoustic underlay & floating boards.

If its not, then you could do either but glued boards would normally be for solid timber or engineered solid timber while floating for the cheaper veneer, bamboo or fake timber boards.

Thanks Bryn :)

BodyCorp does have a regulation for acoustic underlay, so we're definitely allowing for that.

There is an apartment below ours, and we were hoping to use engineered solid timber floorboards. Hence the 'uhmm, to glue or not to glue' dilemma :p

if you put an acoustic underlay on the slab, you have nothing to glue to- you can put engineered solid timber down as floating, provided you buy the right type (i.e. locking boards not T&G).

Thanks to everyone for their feedback :D

Floating floorboards it is then.

(iinvestor... that living room picture looks really nice! I love the floorboard colour.)

Back