flooding

I cant sit still. Really want to help..any businesses that need help to move things? can store things at my house etc

I think ppl would want to save as much as possible from the flood. Wished we had a trailer.

Just heard the old Oxley on the River, now called (very appropriately as it turns out) Drift, is floating down the river having broken its moorings.

Also heard that Suncorp Stadium is on fire, but haven't seen anything on the telly. Could be a little fire that started and news making more of it for the sake of sensationalism, and it could be wrong of course.

Gee, I haven't been watching the news and knew that there was a lot of water about, but not this much! Stay safe everyone who is effected by this. Don't take any silly risks. I really hope everyone stays safe. Our thoughts are with you.

Just heard the old Oxley on the River, now called (very appropriately as it turns out) Drift, is floating down the river having broken its moorings.

Also heard that Suncorp Stadium is on fire, but haven't seen anything on the telly. Could be a little fire that started and news making more of it for the sake of sensationalism, and it could be wrong of course.

Suncorp is on fire - a friend can see it from theirs :(
Cazy times...

Stay safe everyone who is effected by this. Don't take any silly risks. I really hope everyone stays safe. Our thoughts are with you.

Am with Skater here. Our thoughts are with anyone flood affected. Please stay safe.

As a side issue can someone please tell me how you create a new thread? For the life of me I cannot work it out. Also how can you change the time you are logged in for? I keep having to write my details in because I take so long to write posts etc. Would appreciate someones help. Thankyou,

Charlie

If you want to help out there's always sandbag filling or delivering to do. A lot of the sandbag depots are being held up by a lack of forklift drivers, MR or HR license holders etc. and this is being overcome by using human chains. Even if you can't lift you can help organise, hand out water bottles to vollies, direct the traffic in the depots etc.

There's a whole line of eateries and bars under there!

Attachments

• flood1.jpg
    flood1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 300
As a side issue can someone please tell me how you create a new thread? For the life of me I cannot work it out. Also how can you change the time you are logged in for? I keep having to write my details in because I take so long to write posts etc. Would appreciate someones help. Thankyou,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

To start a new thread, go to the main page, the one with all the different forums on it. Click the forum you want, then in the top left corner, just above all the different threads is a small box that says "Start New Thread", click this box and away you go.

As for staying logged in, click the little box that says "remember me" and you will stay logged in for as long as you like. I basically never log off, so whenever I go to the forum I am already logged on.

Hi Charlie,

To start a new thread, go to the main page, the one with all the different forums on it. Click the forum you want, then in the top left corner, just above all the different threads is a small box that says "Start New Thread", click this box and away you go.

As for staying logged in, click the little box that says "remember me" and you will stay logged in for as long as you like. I basically never log off, so whenever I go to the forum I am already logged on.

Thanks Skater, I'm not much of a tech head. Really appreciate that.

Sorry to everyone for having this in the middle of this thread.

Thanks again,

Charlie

Went for a wander at lunch - a block away from my office the water is being pushed up and out of the drains already. In the time it took to cross two sets of traffic lights it had completely covered a painted bicycle sign. Rising very fast.

A mate of mine lives in Yeronga. He's on the high side of the street. The places across the road on the low side are under water. He's moving stuff upstairs right now. It's a double brick home with a slab floor and tiles on the ground floor. But the kitchen is on the ground floor, so if the water comes in he'll lose that. And the bathroom. He just finished a reno last year. Must have been at least $250K. I have a feeling that I'll be in Brisbane next week clearing out mud from his house.

A mate of mine lives in Yeronga. He's on the high side of the street. The places across the road on the low side are under water. He's moving stuff upstairs right now. It's a double brick home with a slab floor and tiles on the ground floor. But the kitchen is on the ground floor, so if the water comes in he'll lose that. And the bathroom. He just finished a reno last year. Must have been at least $250K. I have a feeling that I'll be in Brisbane next week clearing out mud from his house.

Every extra pair of hands will be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, catch up on your sleep, you won't get much once the waters go down and you get up here.
Marg

I suggested that when he was putting stuff upstairs he should move some of his wife's stuff downstairs - she's got a room full of fabric and stuff that will never be made into anything despite her best intentions. He liked that idea and said he might start tossing it out into the water now.

We evacuated our PPOR in Kenmore at 0430 this morning. Water is nearly up to the ground floor ceiling and is expected to get into the upstairs overnight. :eek:

We had a $250K flood claim just 20 months ago, I'm didappointed that we're experiencing a repeat so soon.

But we are counting our blessings. As youve no doubt heard, many lives have been lost, and one of our neighbours thought they were insured but turned out not to be covered for flood. :( Their house, like ours, may be a write-off. :'( No doubt there are many others uninsured, too.

I'm thinking of you Perp. To have gone through that and had to live elsewhere whilst it was all renovated, only to watch it happen again must be so frustrating. Did you stay up watching it rise and make the decision, or was the street officially evacuated?

But... as you say, you are safe and sound, and hopefully you manage to save some of the most precious things. Some of the stories coming out of Grantham and surrounds are truly heart rending.

Are you at the RNA?

Perp, my thoughts are with you and your family. How awful especially evacuating during the night, nighttime if more frightening I think, not being able to see. How terrible for you.

Thank goodness you are all ok.

Back