flooding

Just heard the old Oxley on the River, now called (very appropriately as it turns out) Drift, is floating down the river having broken its moorings.

Also heard that Suncorp Stadium is on fire, but haven't seen anything on the telly. Could be a little fire that started and news making more of it for the sake of sensationalism, and it could be wrong of course.

The place was evacuated, the fire was in the substation and seemed to be caused from the water entering the sub station.

Brian

If anyone wants their property CBD, inner north areas checked I can do that for you just PM me.

I am out an about with my work.

Thanks
Brian

Should also have added if you have family members that need help also PM me and I will see if I can help out.

Brian

Oh, no! We are thinking of you Perp. Stay safe and I hope you were able to remove anything of value to you, especially the stuff that can't be replaced.

Take care.

I'm thinking of you Perp. To have gone through that and had to live elsewhere whilst it was all renovated, only to watch it happen again must be so frustrating.
Yes, it is mildly frustrating. ;)
wylie said:
Did you stay up watching it rise and make the decision, or was the street officially evacuated?
We were up watching, and were just getting in the car to leave when the SES arrived with the order to evacuate.

wylie said:
But... as you say, you are safe and sound, and hopefully you manage to save some of the most precious things. Some of the stories coming out of Grantham and surrounds are truly heart rending.

Are you at the RNA?
We've got wedding pics, birth certificates etc, yes. No, we're not at the RNA but staying with friends on a ridge top.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. :)

Last edited:
Sorry folks meant to post in this thread(slaps forehead)

Thoughts go out to you Perp. If you need a hand with scrape, sweep or shovel out when it all subsides let me know. We also have a troopcarrier so can help with moving stuff around if needed.

Just back from delivering last lot of sandbags for a few that we helped out last night that still needed more. Thankfully the water level had gone down a touch from what it was when I left the city around 4pm today. Not much, and mostly due to tide, but still better than it still getting higher.

Large sections of city now closed off, still lots of happy snappers around though. Some people crossing under police tape to go sit with their feet in the water

Offer for Assistance

Hi Guys,

I have been on the forums for quite a bit, and many of you helped me with advice when I first decided to establish a gutter cleaning business in South East Queensland a little while ago.

We have grown substantially since then, I would just like to offer our large industrial truck mounted vacuum's to remove mud, debris and water once the floods subside and our hydro jetting service (to clean all blocked drains from fouled drain lines), complimentary to pensioners and disabled persons. We only have a limited amount of trucks to service this, together with servicing our emergency clients, so we are working on a triage system, with the most serious properties cleaned first.

I personally was out helping people last night sand bagging and removing furniture for elderly people in Verney Street, Graceville till 3am. I must say community spirit is so high and it makes me proud to not only be a Queenslander, but also an Australian. If you need assistance then please PM me

Does anyone know what areas are flooded in Ipswich? There is only very limited info available on their website and it has not been updated since yesterday. I have a property in North Ipswich which should be fine as it's on a hill and survived the 74 floods but my property in Booval is on flat ground across from the station. Pretty sure it will be underwater :(.

Is there a phone number you can call to check?

Seriously hope that everyone is fine and not too affected by these floods - Perp, what a tragedy that you are copping it again! The footage on the news is incredible and it is the topic of conversation over here.

Edit - my property in Booval is not inundated according to 1974 flood level data Phew!!! Kudos to the Ipswich council call centre operators.

Last edited:
Back from West End again - the high tide this afternoon just reached our door step! Its sandbagged now thanks to some help, but the next high tide is expected to be another metre on top of that, so will go back to see how things are in the morning!

Can anyone from Yeronga tell me if there's much water on the east side of the rail line?

I can't see clearly on any maps.
Just came back from Rocklea ,both properties we control are in total water yesterday still can't see the roof:rolleyes:,and i have problems with the insurance
just don't have it in me to take them on just yet,both properties will need a total refit,so until we can get back in maybe 2-3 days time that's when it will start,as long as the front fence is still standing the Australian Flag will go up on the front fence,and if the insurance won't help me then i will go it alone..willair..

To get bet a better understanding of insurance in these areas, do insurance companies offer insurance for flood-prone land in these areas? And what costs are we talking about?

To get bet a better understanding of insurance in these areas, do insurance companies offer insurance for flood-prone land in these areas? And what costs are we talking about?
From what i was told yesterday after about 35 minutes on the phone it comes down too the wording,but i have made a serious mistake when i went through all the paper work,all i maybe get is a payment for loss of rent,but i think i'm stuffed,i found the small line on the second page that states that property is cover for water damage,but not flood just have to take one day at a time..

Does anyone know what areas are flooded in Ipswich? There is only very limited info available on their website and it has not been updated since yesterday. I have a property in North Ipswich which should be fine as it's on a hill and survived the 74 floods but my property in Booval is on flat ground across from the station. Pretty sure it will be underwater :(.

Is there a phone number you can call to check?

Seriously hope that everyone is fine and not too affected by these floods - Perp, what a tragedy that you are copping it again! The footage on the news is incredible and it is the topic of conversation over here.

Edit - my property in Booval is not inundated according to 1974 flood level data Phew!!! Kudos to the Ipswich council call centre operators.

We have friends with an Investment Property in IPSWICH also, apparently they rang the PM the other day concerned for the tenants and property with what was unfolding and talk of 1/3 of the city going under and were told that they were evacuating the RE Agency, so no news..they are somewhat comforted in that an evacuation centre is close by their IP

They rang their insurers and they are not covered for the flood

For most flood prone properties you would not be able to get flood insurance (as per insurance company speak actually "rising water damage") unless you pay a significant premium.

Edit to Add - If anyone needs help with clean up - sweeping, hosing, scraping etc send me a message or give me a call on 0408479851. We also have a large storage area (enclosed garage) under our house that can be used.

Last edited:
Satellite imagery of the flooding in Qld available here:

http://www.nearmap.com/

Just make sure the date is on 14 Jan. The water looks to be about a meter below the peak.

Check out Rocklea to get an idea of why this suburb has such a high yield for a middle ring suburb.

Back