floor plan software

Hi all,
I have done a search on the forum and it looks like 3d Home architecture and SmartDraw were the favorites in 2004. can someone confirm if these are still the better of the floorplan tools out there. I have tried the older version of sierra 3d home architect and the 2008 smart draw on a trial. I couldn't see anywhere that Smart Draw did 3D models. Both seem like something I would be after but before I purchase I wanted to see what you guys think :) I want something that I can design a home in and to generate plans and 3d models that is actually useful to take to an architect and will save the architect time and in doing so, me money.

thanks
Splade

Google has one, forget what it is called (I discounted it when I was trying to draw up my IPs floorplan ... most floorplan software doesn't like inconsistent wall thicknesses). I should probably mess around with it myself since I need to sketch up a floor plan for a maybe-PPoR so I can take it to builders and find out if I can even afford to build the bloody thing or not.

Hi all

It depends how much you want to spend.

Check out cheif architect. I just purchased the home and garden one $750.

It is the same as the full blown version, except it does not print out the plans. You can how ever copy them and give them to the architect etc.

It is a 3D cad based program and a lot of architects use it.

Its really wicked :D

hmm the 3d home architect is only $40 for 3d interior/exterior and landscape design, and it looks pretty good to me, but I am not a proffesional so maybe I am missing something? archieCad and chief architect look pretty good but are they hundreds of dollars better?

would an architect take me seriously if I took them a design I had made in 3d home architect? would it save them design time? or do I need to use the more expensive tools to save them from doing extra work that I could do myself?

Thanks for your replies so far.

bedroom_3d_rendering.jpg

I like the 3d plans as I can visualize the place much better than normal plans and can actually envisage planning a property, whereas with normal plans I found it boring :)

Is this the google product mentioned above?

drawing it in any 3d program thats cheap will not save an architect time chances are they wont be able to import it all and would have to do additional stuff like terrain and prob even change things to meet regulations and AS and the BCA, even if u paid for archiCAD and drew it you design will change with the architecs input. lets face it, if u knew about architecture or drafting you wouldnt need to take it to an architect, personally i wouldnt take it to one regards less. see a draftsmen :)

hmm the 3d home architect is only $40 for 3d interior/exterior and landscape design, and it looks pretty good to me, but I am not a proffesional so maybe I am missing something? archieCad and chief architect look pretty good but are they hundreds of dollars better?

would an architect take me seriously if I took them a design I had made in 3d home architect? would it save them design time? or do I need to use the more expensive tools to save them from doing extra work that I could do myself?

Thanks for your replies so far.

You need to check that any program you use can be converted to CAD.

1 thing chief architect is modified for australian materials etc. and can be converted to CAD if the architect does not hace chief. They also have user group to help you.

In the past I have designed a house on paper and gave them to an architect to made up into building plans. I had no problems. If you draw plans up on a basic program and it prints plans out, you can give the drawing to an architect to make up into building plans.

I gather what ever way you go the architect would need to go over all the plans to check it mets standards and will work.

Hi Splade,

Short answers:
yes, I would take you seriously;
no, it would not save design time;
no, you do not need expensive tools.

As an architect, I love it when clients bring sketches, magazine cut outs, drawings on napkins etc to show me what they're thinking. It is my job to understand what they want and translate it into a buildable building.

Sure, using a design package on the computer will help you develop your ideas, but I would never use a client's sketches to design from. Anything the client gives to me is used as a reference....I distill the image or idea to its' basic form/function and then design from there. It probably sounds awfully wanky, but this is how it works in my office.

Thanks everyone. you have all been a great help. Ill probably just go with home architect then as this will allow my partner and I to get down exactly what we are thinking so we can more easily communicate what we want to an architect or draftsman. What is the difference between an architect and a draftsman anyway? and when do I see a town planner? or do I even need to see a town planner? will the architect know all the regulations for my area or is that the purpose of the town planner, so I should see the town planner first with my home architect design to make sure it will fit on the block as it is supposed to, before getting the architect to draw it up, or does the architect usually confer with the area's town planner? sorry for so many questions...

Hi Splade,

The difference between an architect and a draftsman/designer has been discussed on SS before, but in essence:
Architect has 5 years at uni (2 degrees) followed by 2 years experience, and then exams to enable registration. This is because the title of "architect" is protected under legislation.
Draftsman/designer undertakes TAFE or similar qualification.

There are many talented and capable designers and draftspeople out there, and many are better at designing than some architects.

Typically an architect is engaged to undertake a design project because the clients want something a little different than standard. This can often be reflected in potential re-sale value down the track.

A capable architect will liaise with your local council to ascertain restrictions and development guidelines relevant to your site, before even starting to sketch a design solution.

I have never needed to use a town planner for a single dwelling/ MU housing project in the past. The only two times a town planner has been required was designing a 12 storey building in Forster and Coffs Harbour.

An architect can offer services from initial sketch concepts through to administering a building contract to project handover. We often take projects through to completion, and assist with selections of lights, fixtures, colours, materials etc.

Obviously I possess a very biased opinion! I do, however, believe that you get what you pay for.

I hope this answers your questions.

yes that was excellent, thankyou :)

one last thing (I hope...)
Can you recomend any competant architects or draftsmen in Adelaide?

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Hi Splade,

I'm glad my mutterings have made sense and managed to help a little! Feel free to ask anything and everything...afterall, that's how we learn.

Unfortunately, no, I do not know any architects or drafties in Adelaide. I'm based in Sydney/Newcastle at the moment.

Perhaps some of our SA formuite friends can help on this one?

Back