floor polishing

Hello, can I please pick your brains.

I want to get my timber floors redone. Our home is 26 years old but the thought of removing all our books and furniture so we can get the floors redone has meant that this job has been in the too hard basket for way too many years.

We have discussed only doing half one time and the other half at another time so we can leave the goods and chattels in the other rooms rather than remove everything. Or do we get it all done at once so as to get it over and done with and have it all match (my preference).

We have a storage room under the house which is currently filled with other people's stuff as well as our own, but that could be dealt with. Anyone want to buy a carved mantelpiece for a fireplace?

What treatment is the best these days? We have been told to avoid water based. Any other tips? Any current recommendations for professionals in Brisbane.

Thanks in Advance

What was the reason given to avoid water based?

My understanding is that water based looks much nicer but it requires more regular coates than oil based.

I'm a fan of tung oil. Give a low-build, satin finish that can be made thicker and glossier with more coats. Can be repaired easily.

Decide up front whether you like the thick glossy piano finish on your floors. That will then limit your choices for product.

We had a buffing and single coat done last week on a house. Looks great. Will take photo and post up tonight. Will also send you sander details.

Any thoughts on whether to do it all at once or in two parts?

And whether getting it redone will make any difference at all to a valuation if I want to draw equity/sell? Middle class, family-friendly middle ring suburb.

I would do it in one go. There will be a lots of dust and a strong toxic smell, so it is better to stay away from the house during these times. If you do it in two sets, it will be 2 times longer. It might even be more expensive as it requires more time of a floor sander.

Also when you see the new shiny floor, you might feel sorry to move in the all the furniture from the other unpolished side.

It is just my opinion and I think a floor sander will give you better advice. :) We had our floors done recently, we took off the old carpet and re-polished the hardwood floors. It was a big mess and different power tools were left around our house until the end of the job.

I've used oil based in my IP... polished in 2003... still looks good today.
This is what i used
http://www.wattyl.com.au/en/find-th...looring/Clears/WattylEstapolFlooring7008.html

For my other IP i used single coat waterbased. Its been a year... lets see how that holds up when i do my next inspection.

Also, I would just bite the bullet and do it one go. Maybe get one of those PODS so you can store your stuff outside your house for a 2-3 days. Then move it all back in after its done.

Forgot to send you photos Angel. Way too much going in in my life at present :D.

The buffing and top coat didn't smell two days later. We stayed off the floor for two days and there is no smell. I did give the sander my choice of a satin finish rather than high gloss, but told him to use his discretion.

He was concerned about coating over the existing coating, seeing it was not a "proper" polish but just a buffing, which means there could be a reaction between the original coating and the one he put on.

Unless you really need your floors done, I'd put it off. I wouldn't do it for a valuation anyway. Our own PPOR could do with a buff and recoat but the thought of moving everything to do it is enough to help me decide it can wait ;),

Hi Wylie

My floor will require much more work that what yours sounds like. In some places the coating has worm completely through.

As soon as you replied that it wouldn't make any difference to the valuation, we decided against it (again).

My real estate agency at Redcliffe said there is no point renovating the Townhouse so we wont be spending a week over there. Thought about getting here sanded at the same time we were over at Scarborough.

I have already convinced myself to do it all in one go and to hire a POD for the front yard rather than carry everything downstairs. Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Hi Wylie

My floor will require much more work that what yours sounds like. In some places the coating has worm completely through.

As soon as you replied that it wouldn't make any difference to the valuation, we decided against it (again).

My real estate agency at Redcliffe said there is no point renovating the Townhouse so we wont be spending a week over there. Thought about getting here sanded at the same time we were over at Scarborough.

I have already convinced myself to do it all in one go and to hire a POD for the front yard rather than carry everything downstairs. Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Don't take my word for it though, about the valuation. You could always check with a valuer, and there is one who posts here.

In my experience though, valuers have told me they look at size, number of bedrooms, comparable sales etc. I've been told cosmetic things don't alter the valuation. I recall it well as we had to have our house valued when it was not quite finished, and the valuer said the decor (not yet painted where we had done a big reno, few things unfinished) wouldn't change his valuation.

I also recall more structural things that were not finished would have to be valued "as is", i.e. I asked him if he could value as though they were finished. He told me no.

There is one room in the house we've had done that was once a semi-open verandah. It was worn through in parts, and it has come up ok, but quite different to the rest of the "internal" floors. I'm heading there today, and will take a photo of the old verandah floor and post it up. It still looks so much better than it did. The main front verandah is grey where the old coating has been gone for years. We were going to have it sanded, not buffed, but time and cost came into it so we will paint it instead.

Back