Floor Sanding - what kind of coating?

I've just got a quote from a floor sander and he's given me some options

Urethane or Polyurethane.

I asked if it is Oil Based or Water based, he said neither.

He said there are 4 types - water based, oil based, urethane, polyurethane.
(though googling seems to indicate that urethane and polyurethane are the same and comes in water or oil based flavours)

Anyway, the price he's given me for 70sqm is
Urethane - $1,750
Polyurethane (2 part)- $2,500.

(includes sandback existing polished floors to bare wood, seal it, apply two coats of paint).

The property is an IP and ideally I want to be hardwearing because i don't want to have re-sand every year or whenever a tenant moves out. I am opting for gloss, because my property manager says gloss is more appealing to tenants.

So my questions is, which one should i go for urethane or polyurethane?

the urethane option is probably the single pack version these guys sell http://www.urethanecoatings.com.au/

i use their two pack sometimes which is what he will probably use for the second option and i can tell you its not worth the extra $750 he has put on the price.

go get another quote.

Tonka, whats your opinion on single vs 2 pack?
Cost factor aside, is 2pack heaps more durable than single pack?

The house does have west facing windows which take in a substantial amount of light from 1pm until the evening.

Tonka, whats your opinion on single vs 2 pack?
Cost factor aside, is 2pack heaps more durable than single pack?

The house does have west facing windows which take in a substantial amount of light from 1pm until the evening.

2 pack products are always more durable than single pack. when i sand off polyurethane i can tell if its single or two pack by how easy it comes off, obviously 2 pack is harder to sand off. my concern is the difference in price between the two options, he's charging an extra $10 sqm for 2 pack poly over 1 pack poly which is quite a big price difference and not the sort of pricing im familiar with.

now i havent seen the floor, i dont know exactly what products he is using im only basing this off the information in this thread. There may be a number of reasons for the quote being priced the way it is so please dont take my word as gospel on this but i would definitely advise a 2nd quote before you make a decision.

i dont really give people the option as i use 2 pack products but if i had to quote a difference it would only be a few dollars per sqm.

Back