Floor space

I am going to build a granny flat for my Mum on our property in the Bega Valley. Bega council states that a granny flat must be no bigger than 60m2. If the unit is 60mr (the inside space) and then I build a 1.8 m covered deck off one side is that deck considered part of the floor space hence making her unit smaller, or can the deck be extra as it is not an indoor room???

Good question, and one that could be easily answered by a phone call to your local council.

If it is a problem, why not do it in 2 stages? The 60m2 granny flat build - get the approval for that.
Later down the track put a deck on. Under a certain size you don't even need council approval for a deck anymore (if it is a complying development). Have a read of your council's web-site.

I am going to build a granny flat for my Mum on our property in the Bega Valley. Bega council states that a granny flat must be no bigger than 60m2. If the unit is 60mr (the inside space) and then I build a 1.8 m covered deck off one side is that deck considered part of the floor space hence making her unit smaller, or can the deck be extra as it is not an indoor room???

Look at the NSW planning code for granny flats and construction standards., it can be used instead of local council code. As complying development you won't even need to talk to the council. 60m is external dimensions for floor space with excepted area, and there is a max deck space in addition to the 60m.

Granny Flats

Planning NSW

Development Standards

Attention twodogs

Thanks for your reply, what is complying development?? does that mean I don't have to put in a DA. When you said I don't even need to speak to council what does that mean. Do I just put in a DA with all the bits required and they have to approve it?? I am planning on having a stand alone granny flat, will I be able to have this connected to the services that are here already or will it have to be separate. I have spoken to council but they have been less than helpful and you leave messages for people to ring you back but they don't.......... very frustrating, sometimes quicker to get answers on here.

You may get better help from a private town planner or draftsman than the council, and definitely than from me! Complying development is development that does not require a DA or CC as long as it complies to a set of rules for the type of development. Councils will publish a list of complying development, but they not the only ones who can approve the plans, a private certifier can too.

However in NSW there are rules are appear to override council rules, such as the Granny Flat code in the link I sent. Plans conforming to this code can be approved by a private certifier (or the council). That is the limit of my understanding. I'm pondering a couple of granny flat developments but I will leave the submission of these to whoever draws the plans.

Perhaps more qualified formites can improve/correct this.

I have been told over the phone by an employee of NSW planning that decks are only included in the 60sqm if they are enclosed. You can call them - they have been very helpful to me.

Back