Flooring experts please!

When do you use metho to clean the boards
After the first coat?

And I assume that the aim on sanding on second coat onwards is to get it as smooth as possible? While the subsequent coats will basically put an extra layer thus creating the layer of water look

I can't believe some people do four coats, that's amazing

I use metho after sanding, it is supposed to pull the oil out of the boards- gives a better finish. I've found you only need to sand after the first coat, the rest should be fine. The difference in look between 3 and 4 coats makes it worth it. The ones I have done have stood the test of time and are remarkably hardy.

An electric whipper snipper!! NOOOOO!!!

But anyway i had a crack myself on our PPOR, came up alright. 3 coats with the wool broom applicator. Did have some bubbles but found that after a few weeks they disappeared. Also the shine slightly dulls too. Id do it again

I used the broom applicator, the "roughness" could be either air bubbles or not washing the wool applicator prior and the loose threads have been impregnanted into the stain/oil.whatver

I spoke with a painter about poly..... for decks and sounds like a no go to me, it may last longer but when it goes its a nightmare. as i understand its like a plastic layer over the timber and not actually soaking in. so when its gone it peels and big job to fix. Whereas oiling you can slap on every 5 years or so and it soaks in and protects

Attachments

• IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 93
If the floors are in bad shape (i.e cupping, big dents, etc...) I would go for the bunnings hire big drum sander. Just keep moving with it, don't stay in the one spot and sand a huge divet.

The bunnings orbital sander hire one was a bit of a nasty agressive thing from memory.

I would probably just buy a good quality orbital and use that for the edges rather than hire the bunnings one.

If the floors are in okay condition and just need a bit sanded down (so you aren't trying to remove more than say 1mm), you can get away with the orbital for the whole thing. But buy a good one $150+ I went through an ozito, and a ryobi, before I settled on an expensive brand which actually worked.

cool, thanks.
Have already been through both a Ryobi and ozito too. Am due a really decent sander. Hope I can convince the Bunnings guy that I can use one. :rolleyes: Maybe I should say it's for my husband.
Thanks for the tips. Will seriously consider the tung oil.

Give Bunnings a miss and go to kennards or Coates and get some decent gear! I wouldn't bother with an ozito, wouldn't have the grunt

I hired both the floor and orbital from bunnings,

how did you guys get into the corners???

its just not physically possible !!

this is where bunnings is handy, get an ozito multi tool to finish the corners. they come with a sand pad, triangle shape

I used one of these tools with the sanding head to get into the corners.

DMP-012-MFC-Usage-Sand-ed2-LR.jpeg

The last house we reno'd had floor boards. We hired a drum sander and edger from kennards for the weekend and did it our self. The hardest part was sinking all the nails a few more mm into the boards. Gave my finger a good whack and nearly broke it...

IIRC we used an oil based product to finish it off and after 3 coats gave it a nice gloss finish.

426115_10150674816109210_2122531805_n.jpg

kinnonbell. did you have to sand in between coats???

and what did you use, we found that we had to hand sand after each coact, and even after 2 coats it looked pretty average ;(

kinnonbell. did you have to sand in between coats???

and what did you use, we found that we had to hand sand after each coact, and even after 2 coats it looked pretty average ;(

Yes, we sanded between coats. From memory we used an orbital sander with a fine grit paper.

After 2 coats the floor was still looking rather crappy too and I was thinking we had done something wrong. It wasn't until the third coat was applied that it looked all shiny and smooth.

That's a nice little sander.
What does IIRC mean?
And what were the 1st 3 coats? Tung oil or poly?

It's a great tool - has heaps of different head attachments that can be put to many uses.

IIRC = If I recall correctly

I tried looking for the brand I used on the internets but couldn't find it. It was a solvent based product, but pretty sure it wasn't tung oil. I remember on the label saying something about being good for a basketball court due to the durability of the product and figured that would be good for a rental!

Yes, we sanded between coats. From memory we used an orbital sander with a fine grit paper.

After 2 coats the floor was still looking rather crappy too and I was thinking we had done something wrong. It wasn't until the third coat was applied that it looked all shiny and smooth.

yeah! its not only me then!!

we had to hand sand them because hte floor sander just tore throguh it, we tried an ordbital but I think we only tried 180 grit, not 240, so we ended up handsanding, probably took me 3 hours plus a shoulder joint each time, we stopped after 2 coats because we ran out of coating, and it looked quite average

thansk for your feedback

Back