Flooring suggestions in unit bedrooms - concrete or vinyl planks?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by propertymistro, 20th Nov, 2014.

1. propertymistro

propertymistro Member

Hi all,
    Looking for suggestions as to the flooring option for my unit's 2 bedrooms. The unit is on the second floor and I have ripped up the carpet and underneath is nice looking concrete (needs a clean though). I thought to just seal and paint the concrete but could this create noise issues. My other next option is the vinyl planks that clip together and don't need to be glued down.

I spoke to my body corporate to get an idea of suitable flooring, but is there specific government rules (Gold Coast) against having just concrete as the flooring in unit bedrooms?

Thanks in advance.

2. EN710

EN710 Member

Never heard council specifically address certain type of flooring, but I'm pretty sure your BC won't like it (or at least I know mine won't ever allow it)

3. jkat

jkat Member

BC will usually have rules about suitable coverings -- especially around noise issues.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates ...and people wonder why?

Media:
    If it's a bedroom then carpet as noise transfer to the slab and unit below is an issue. Well insulated floor boards on an underlay may also be suitable however you would want to put something soft underfoot like a rug.

5. travelbug

travelbug Member

Media:
    You'll find it's not a council rule but a Body Corp rule regarding sound proofing. There is an acceptable noise transference level.

Your flooring needs to comply to this.

So I'd say having no flooring would definitely not be allowed.

6. Salvatore1

Salvatore1 Member

Who would rent a property with bare concrete? Dont know if I can recall a home property like tis. Commercial properties yes but home?:(

7. EN710

EN710 Member

Polished concrete floor is quite pretty http://goo.gl/SqT1Wm
    But I don't think I want anyone in my building to have it. Noise! Even with carpet I can still hear the sounds travel, with concrete everyone in the building will know what you're doing at the moment :D

8. Sez

Sez Member

Polished concrete can be quite the maintenance job if it isn't done properly, if the floors are uneven then the top layer cracks and lifts and you end up with holes that need to be filled in and then re-polished. I've seen them be a maintenance nightmare!

Then again, so are the clip in boards :).

I think it is best to check with body corp first for the noise restrictions, they may require carpet or at the very least something on a decent quality underlay.

9. DaveM

DaveM KFC Buyers Agent

Carpet in bedrooms ftw

10. property_girl

property_girl Banned

I looked at having polished concrete put into my house. Polished concrete involves a different process used to make a concrete slab. I don't think it's a matter of simply polishing the surface of the slab.

I am tired of carpets in my rental units. They dirty too quickly. Next time I have to replace carpet, it will be with vinyl wood-look planks, which I have upstairs in my current home. I love them. Everybody thinks they're real wood.

11. propertymistro

propertymistro Member

Thanks all for your replies. It's been a help :)

12. EN710

EN710 Member

What did you ended up choosing for the floor?