Follow your Dreams

Just thought I would throw a scanner in the works, investing and making money can be a tough gig, its not all beer and skittles as Blacky stated, just check out his posts, love his honesty:)

Anyway, back to my title "Who is following their dreams", so what is your dream?? Is it travelling/living abroad??? Spending more time with your family and friends?? Reading a great book you can not put down??? Making new friends??? Soaking up quiet times at home with your partner ??? or in the sun ... perhaps Spain... what is it for you???

For me its pretty ordinary really...just having the right people in my life, a mix of family and friends that are loyal, positive and supportive, don't need much more than that

Not sure how the link has anything do to with this thread?? and this is the thing with posting on the forum its very easy to interpret the wrong way or misconstrue, have been guilty many times.

I do not surround myself with rich/wealthy friends cos I don't have many or any:) but hey does it matter, I don't think so, wont change my life one bit.

That is my point surround yourself with those that are genuine, integrity and positive, I know cheesy this may work:)

Sorry if I offend.

I think ALL of us here on Somersoft aspire to be "wealthy". The question is "what is wealthy?"

The simplest answer to that is.....

WEALTHY is having enough income to live the life YOU desire.

As was pointed out in the other thread, a comfortable retirement is very subjective.

I think for me I relate wealth more to time than money. Money can almost be infinite depending on you mindset but time is all too finite and I think I will feel truly wealthy when I have more time on my hands. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoy very much what I am doing with my time at the moment, I just don't seem to have enough hours in my day to do all that I want to and things get prioritised and others deprioritised.

But, I digress....

I set the wheels in motion to follow my dream about 2.5yrs ago and it became a reality 23/12/2013.

Long story short, I moved to Melbourne in 2007 and it was a bit under protest as there was a bit of emotional blackmail involved with family. But my husband and I told my family we would stay there for only 2 years. Melbourne was good to us during our time there and before we knew it 6 years had passed. I'm a country kid at heart who loves the heat and humidity and never felt at home in Melbourne.

Even before moving to Melbourne, Cairns was always going to be our end goal so I had been keeping a close eye on the market. My husband and I holidayed there in 2012 and found an area we both fell in love with. We returned to Melbourne and resumed our day to day life.

But the holiday to Cairns put a bee in my bonnet and Melbourne was getting to be intolerable for me. I realised that the 'right time' we were waiting for probably never happen and we just needed to jump in. After a couple of false starts we bought a property with the intent to rent it out and then make the move a few years later.

The property settled 18th Oct 2013 and we put it up for rent. It was mid-November when a job came up with the company I work for which I decided to apply for. My general manager found out I had done this and offered to move my position to Cairns to work remotely and fly back to Melbourne every month. After a bit of too-ing and fro-ing and working out the logistics it was 2 weeks before Christmas that I got the go ahead for the move. So in the space of 2 weeks had to get a house ready to move and ready to rent out and move from one end of the country to the other.

So it was 23rd Dec that I became a Cairns resident and my husband followed soon after. That was phase 1 of the dream complete.

Phase 2 was starting the broking business which had always been my plan for the move to Cairns but the moving of my position had thrown a bit of a spanner in the works. I gave the working remotely thing a red hot crack but it was tough for a lot of reasons. So then, once again adopting the 'there will never be a right time' attitude I got the ball rolling for the business and handed in my resignation for my reasonably well paying bank job to go from regular paycheck to none to begin with. It's been a great ride and I haven't looked back. I look forward to waking up every morning and going to 'work'.

love his honesty:)

Thanks MTR

Im pretty close to living my dreams - which change as things move along.

A long while ago I wanted to live overseas - Tick
Then I wanted to live overseas and only work 1/2 the year - tick

Im now focused on getting myself into a position where I don't need to work at all. My plan was to achieve that at 35, but I'm running a few years late.
Where I'll live, I haven't yet decided, but it is likely that I will continue to move around. In the meantime I will continue to travel a lot, and enjoy my free time.

As much as I love moving around and traveling a lot, its is also quite hard, and very unsettling. I have never had a PPOR. I think the longest I have ever lived in one house was 2years (not including my childhood years). Sometimes I think I would like to get a stable place, and be able to enjoy having my own house - and be able to enjoy having a few 'toys'. But then other times I think I would get bored in about 2weeks doing that.

Maybe doing something like what Kathryn does would work. Half the year one place, half the year somewhere else.
I also have a long list of places to visit, which grows the more I travel. And add to the list a long drive around Australia.

Blacky

I would follow my dreams, but doing those sort of things with a goat outside of dreamland is against the law

As much as I love moving around and traveling a lot, its is also quite hard, and very unsettling. I have never had a PPOR. I think the longest I have ever lived in one house was 2years (not including my childhood years). Sometimes I think I would like to get a stable place, and be able to enjoy having my own house - and be able to enjoy having a few 'toys'. But then other times I think I would get bored in about 2weeks doing that.

Blacky

What about wife and kids?

Just thought I would throw a scanner in the works, investing and making money can be a tough gig, its not all beer and skittles as Blacky stated, just check out his posts, love his honesty:)

Anyway, back to my title "Who is following their dreams", so what is your dream?? Is it travelling/living abroad??? Spending more time with your family and friends?? Reading a great book you can not put down??? Making new friends??? Soaking up quiet times at home with your partner ??? or in the sun ... perhaps Spain... what is it for you???

For me its pretty ordinary really...just having the right people in my life, a mix of family and friends that are loyal, positive and supportive, don't need much more than that

We have been fortunate enough recently to follow some of our long held dreams. In 2013 we spent three months traveling Europe. Recently we upgraded to a larger PPOR where we have enjoyed hosting family and friends and bought a grand piano.

I enjoy doing all the things you've outlined above as well, MTR! Life is short, we all need to enjoy it as much as we can!

We have been fortunate enough recently to follow some of our long held dreams. In 2013 we spent three months traveling Europe. Recently we upgraded to a larger PPOR where we have enjoyed hosting family and friends and bought a grand piano.

I enjoy doing all the things you've outlined above as well, MTR! Life is short, we all need to enjoy it as much as we can!

Hi Jingo
Sounds great, I like the upgrading of the home. We also did this 5 years ago, stuck our neck out a little but its my dream home what I have always wanted. No point making money if you don't enjoy some of it today.

I found last year was a little stressful for me, I will be only doing 2 developments per year now which should help and do more travelling.

I am also sourcing a property for an investor at the moment, I may do a couple of these pa, but I certainly would not want this to be full on either. Its one thing giving up your day job but if you end up replacing with another day job then what is the point.

MTR:)

Hi

My dream was to always become financially independent and earn a 6 figure income from my investments without any debts and I achieved that by my 40th birthday.

Now I have another dream and that is to find a wife but if I can't find one of them maybe I will buy a Ferrari as they are much cheaper to keep!:eek:

Regards,

alicudi

Hi

My dream was to always become financially independent and earn a 6 figure income from my investments without any debts and I achieved that by my 40th birthday.

Now I have another dream and that is to find a wife but if I can't find one of them maybe I will buy a Ferrari as they are much cheaper to keep!:eek:

Regards,

alicudi

Just read my thread on "on line dating".... hehe that will help NOT
but then again, some women may like your Ferrari;)

Hmm.
I used to hate working. So I quit my job and took some time off, travelled, chilled-out.
Now I realise that, in the absence of work, I'm wasn't really doing anything productive either. When I travelled without a time limit or agenda (given that I didn't have a job or commitments to go back to anyway), my day-to-day life was pretty much sightseeing, eating, sleeping, laundry (only no cooking and cleaning, as I was staying in hotels).
I just wanna work in a productive job and/or raise kids and travel in my spare time.

Hmm.
I used to hate working. So I quit my job and took some time off, travelled, chilled-out.
Now I realise that, in the absence of work, I'm wasn't really doing anything productive either. When I travelled without a time limit or agenda (given that I didn't have a job or commitments to go back to anyway), my day-to-day life was pretty much sightseeing, eating, sleeping, laundry (only no cooking and cleaning, as I was staying in hotels).
I just wanna work in a productive job and/or raise kids and travel in my spare time.

Yep, I can relate to that and understand where you are coming from!

Back