Food Intolerances

This is a bit off topic, but a good friend of mine is presenting a seminar on 'Food Intolerances' next Monday. Some people may find it useful. Here's the blurb he sent me...

Are Food Allergies or Intolerances Making your Sick?

Gluten free, lactose free, diary free, is constantly in the media, but do I need to worry?

Lifestyle Essentials is running a seminar on “Food intolerances” if you have general ongoing health concerns such as, sinus, joint soreness, head aches, constant colds and flu, depression or even an inability to lose weight you may have underlying food intolerances.

Food allergies and more so Food intolerance affect one in five people, with the majority of these people not even aware that they have an intolerance to Food. This seminar is designed to educate you on how you body reacts to food intolerances and give you strategies to prevent problems occurring in the future. Can not afford to miss seminar. To book email [email protected] or call Simon on 0430 273 800 as we only have limited spots left……..

If you are not in Melbourne you do not need to miss out, you can request an MP4 file of this seminar..

The location is:
Sage Lending Solutions office
40 Winks building
Level 1, 321 Whitehorse Rd
Nunawading, VIC 3131

What I'm allergic to is so obscure yet so common I'm pretty well screwed ... never hear it in the media of course. Common ingredient in chocolate, lollies, some chips, cakes, general rubbish. Stuff you shouldn't be eating anyway.

So hard to avoid we just bake our own junk food :)

i am intolerant to all offal - eating liver, tripe, kidneys or brains makes me vomit - but don't see it on any lists :rolleyes:

I just found out I am severely lactose intolerant from a biopsy of my small intestine. I have been feeling unwell for about 10 years and the last 6 months have been really bad - lots of tummy problems, burning, gas, bloating, pain etc.

I have been suffering for so long and all it took was a simple procedure to get the diagnosis. After changing my diet I am on the mend (except I can't seem to give up chocolate!).

The moral of the story - dont wait 10 years to get your symptoms investigated!!

what bugs me is the "no nut" policy at schools.

my kids LOVE nuts, but they could potentially kill another child.

how is stuff like this solved?

As Milhouse says:

"I'm allergic to dairy.......and non dairy..................and my own tears"

Then he starts crying........HAHAHA!!

Why is just about everyone allergic to something these days? Why is this a recent phenomenon?

My kids and family in general eat everything in site, very rarely sick, no allergies etc....i think kids (and people in general)are too 'cotton woolled' these days and that could be some of the cause of this stuff. Witness the rise in popularity of anti bacterial products for one example, what a joke. Purely fear driven and marketed exactly that way.

Now people are having seminars and making money from food allergies.......strange days indeed.

Evand, I reckon going back a hundred years and further, kids were allowed to roll around in the mud, play with different animals and be exposed to all sorts of bacteria which builds up their immune system..
As you say, kids are wrapped in cotton wool now days, so as soon as they're exposed to something foreign they get the flu..

I think the diet was so simple back 100years.. very organic with no pesticides, preservatives, artificial flavours, colours and other nasties that knock the immune system and probably cause an imbalance in the chemicals of the brain, that could cause depression, add, adht, etc.. I dunno, I'm no scientist :p

I've been told that cow's milk (full of lactose) has never been suited for human consumption :confused: In the past, maybe there was the same % of people experiencing lactose intolerant symptoms, but we just didn't know what the cause was?

Food intolerances are becoming more common for the same reason that Asthma is

No one really knows

1. An increased diagnosis due to a health or allied health proff needing to provide an answer........
2. Possibly environmental issues
3. Increasing exposure to foodstuffs that increase your "inflammation" levels.
etc etc

There is some really good anecdotal evidence that some auto immune disease progression can be halted and in some cases reversed with food based issues.

We have been here before as to strictly medical views and alternative views, and it tends to polarises opinions.

We need to be mindful where to look for our evidence.

If you have a think about it at a really fundamental level, if all you eat is donuts and coke for 4000 calories a day you will be unwell pretty quickly.

I know most of you say, hey thats obvious, but the reality is the dietary make up of around a quarter of australians is pretty much just that with a bus load of animal based protein on top.

I have a 13 yr old kid with rheumatoid arthritis......................no known family history, general medicine says "buggered if we can help", except using some lifetime maintenance drugs that are a No No.

Some "simple" but not common blood tests suggests she is intolerant to cassein.

Having removed any product that contains this protein, her condition has stablised and appears to be improving...........time will tell

ta
rolf

Why is just about everyone allergic to something these days? Why is this a recent phenomenon?

Maybe because of the increased levels of non-natural ingredients in nearly every line of food and drink, and being driven by society wanting everything
prepared and packaged for them, rather than using raw ingredients and cooking something.

i think kids (and people in general)are too 'cotton woolled' these days and that could be some of the cause of this stuff. Witness the rise in popularity of anti bacterial products for one example, what a joke. Purely fear driven and marketed exactly that way.

I agree. Houses, generally are cleaner, kids have to wash their hands every 5 minutes, bleach and cleaners kill all the germs. How are they supposed to build up any immunity ?

I think the diet was so simple back 100years.. very organic with no pesticides, preservatives, artificial flavours, colours and other nasties that knock the immune system and probably cause an imbalance in the chemicals of the brain, that could cause depression, add, adht, etc...

Even going back 50 years things were alot better, alot less chemical laced foods. Not that fresh food eliminates any health problems, but they help enormously.
Microwaves are another wonderfull piece of technology which destroys food... I don't like seeing mothers using them to directly warm up some babies milk :eek:

Back