Football clubs ...

I'm a bit of a sporting nut . Grew up in England , supporting my local team , crystal palace ., high school in Melbourne , where I got addicted to AFL .
back to sydney and with the swans moving there , I started supporting them .
Still watching football so with the advent of the a league I start following sydney FC .

Crystal palace won promotion to the EPL this season but were firm favourites for relegation . The swannies are one of the flag favourites for the the flag and sydney FC , well they seem to drift along in a comfortable mediocrity in an endless search for a guru to save them .

So with the AFL season starting I thought I'd have some thing to cheer about . I do , but not what I thought . The swannies are tracking like a flock of lost ducks , but Crystal palace .....

In the last two weeks they have beaten Chelsea and this morning I was up to watch them beat Everton 3-2 . Now they've just got to beat Liverpool and Manchester city in the the next weeks ....

Almost makes up for loosing Barry :cool:

Cliff

Palace needs Kevin Muscat back :D

Not sure about that :confused: . He only lasted 9 games with palace when they got promoted to the EPL . :eek:He cleaned up his act when he came back to the a league but was still the most booed player when FC played victory .:eek:

The wiki on his behaviour makes for interesting reading .:rolleyes:

Wouldn't mind poppa back , and they were also going to sign mark Milligan which would have been great for him . If he has a good World Cup Milligan will be playing EPL next year . I think he's the most underrated aussie player .

Would be happy for him to be in palace , esp away from melbourne victory ....

In 1996, Muscat was sent off in his first season in the UK in a match involving Crystal Palace and Norwich City after body checking Norwich player, Darren Eadie which then sparked a 21 man melee where punches were thrown. Two other players were also sent off in the incident.[21]

Muscat was branded a "lowlife" and a "nobody" by ex-England striker Ian Wright, then of Nottingham Forest, in September 1999. Wright claimed he was about to shoot when he heard Dougie Freedman, Forest's other striker, shout "leave it". Wright stepped over the ball to allow Freedman to hit it, but instead Muscat (who had, according to Wright, merely impersonated Freedman) appeared to clear the ball.[22]

Muscat was dubbed the "most hated man in football" by then Birmingham City player Martin Grainger in 2000 after a reckless tackle against international teammate, Stan Lazaridis.[23] He seriously injured both Craig Bellamy and Christophe Dugarry, the latter in a friendly international between Australia and France in 2001 with a sliding tackle from behind.[23] The French manager Roger Lemerre dubbed the tackle "an act of brutality".[23][24] It was speculated that Muscat?s temperament was the reason he was never selected for inclusion in an Old Firm derby during his time at Rangers.[25]

In March 2002, Muscat was sent off after just 9 minutes into a match against Grimsby Town for elbowing striker Michael Boulding. As Wolves went on to lose the match, Muscat was subsequently suspended for 3 matches following the incident.[26]

In 2003, after only 3 weeks since signing for Millwall, Muscat was fined and reprimanded by Millwall after a match against Watford where he gave away a penalty and was sent off for stamping on Watford's, Danny Webber. Millwall chief executive, Ken Brown, formally warned Muscat that he would be sacked if he did not "clean up his act." "Kevin?s actions were totally unacceptable. We have made him aware that such behavior will not be tolerated. Any repeat of such a deliberate, unprovoked, off-the-ball incident will result in his instant dismissal."[27]

In 2004, a lawsuit on Muscat brought by former Charlton Athletic player Matty Holmes resulted in a settlement of ?250,000 plus costs in favour of Holmes, bringing the estimated settlement to around ?750,000. Holmes had to have four operations on his leg following a tackle by Muscat in 1998, and there were initial fears that his leg might have to be amputated. The claim was settled at the High Court without any admission of liability.[28][29] In a League Cup tie while at Millwall, he grabbed the throat of Liverpool striker Milan Baro?.[30] Also in 2004, Iwan Roberts admitted he deliberately stamped on Muscat in a match against Norwich City in revenge for his attempt to injure Craig Bellamy in 1999. Roberts was subsequently fined and suspended by The Football Association for his comments.[31][32]

In March later that year whilst playing for Millwall, Muscat was red carded and suspended for 5 games for a challenge from behind on Sheffield United player, Ashley Ward which ignited an on-field brawl that involved most players from both teams.[33]

Last edited:
C'mon Cliff, I was clearly joking. Yeah I remember reading he was the most booooooooed player once before. LOL :p I couldn't add that famous image into SS when where he went in studs up at the knee on some poor guy. :eek:

What do you make of Man City buying Heart :cool: Yeah Milligan is good.

C'mon Cliff, I was clearly joking. Yeah I remember reading he was the most booooooooed player once before. LOL :p I couldn't add that famous image into SS when where he went in studs up at the knee on some poor guy. :eek:

What do you make of Man City buying Heart :cool: Yeah Milligan is good.

I realised that :cool:

I should have added a couple of smilies ... Actually I've gone back and added four for clarification ;)

Cliff

What do you make of Man City buying Heart :cool:

Not sure . When rangers bought Northern spirit it wasn't handled well and was the start of the down hill slide for the spirit . :(

What about all the Man U , arsenal , Chelsea etc supporters who go for heart ? :eek:

And wanting to change their strip to sky blue ? Sorry there's already a sky blue team in sydney ......:rolleyes:

Cliff

I only follow real football (AFL) and not pom football (soccer)

Cliff, my beloved Eagles are going much the same direction as the Swans i think.
They have an awesome line up but just ravaged by injuries :(

I only follow real football (AFL) and not pom football (soccer)

Cliff, my beloved Eagles are going much the same direction as the Swans i think.
They have an awesome line up but just ravaged by injuries :(

Hopefully the swans can beat Freo for you this weekend . I'm assuming is deliberate , but every season the swans take their foot of the gas a couple of times . It hard to be at peak fitness / intensity all season. I have a feeling Hannabery is going to rip Freo to pieces this weekend . He's been so ordinary this season. Fyfe was the danger man last time we met Freo .

Cliff

Last edited:
a question for the poms on here,

im no particular afl or soccer fan

but why do none of the poms understand AFL when its probably closer to soccer then it is to scrabble.

every pom ive spoken to just thinks afl is a bunch of savages chasing after a irregular shaped ball,

sure the rules arent the same but getting the ball from one end to the other, with different rules that even I dont find too complicated,

10-15m kick is a mark, handballs are ok, tackling is ok,

the only hard part I would think is the can't tackle high and push in the back rule , and possibly the holding the ball rule

but why do none of the poms understand AFL when its probably closer to soccer then it is to scrabble.

every pom ive spoken to just thinks afl is a bunch of savages chasing after a irregular shaped ball,

sure the rules arent the same but getting the ball from one end to the other, with different rules that even I dont find too complicated,

the only hard part I would think is the can't tackle high and push in the back rule , and possibly the holding the ball rule

I think to really appreciate Aussie rules you have to see the game live . So much of the game happens out of the immediate camera view. Runs 100mts to get into free space . recurrent leads to open space then someone leading into that . It can be a real chess game out there and the aerobic fitness of the players has to be the highest of any code .

One only has to look at how Falou has gone back from his time as a passable player ( just ) in GWS to being lauded as almost the best union player on the planet.

Cliff

How can it be called football when they used thier hands for 70% of the game?

...but why do none of the poms understand AFL when its probably closer to soccer then it is to scrabble.

every pom ive spoken to just thinks afl is a bunch of savages chasing after a irregular shaped ball...

Preconceived ideas is all it is...they don't care about it, as they never grew up with it. That's all it is. Same as over the border codes in Australia, people say the same thing about opposing codes.

Watched the Copy Del Rey :(...that Bale is a star, he was way off the pitch and was impeded and still caught up and finished the play !

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/16/gareth-bale-goal-barcelona-copa-del-rey_n_5162353.html

How can soccer be called football when they're lying down faking shin pain for 70% of the game?

In Australia that only happens if you've been tackled by Kevin Muscat , and then it's because you've got a compound tib / fib Fracture ....

How can it be called football when they used thier hands for 70% of the game?

Is it a " I've got a nick beginning with D " kind of thing ...:eek:

Cliff

Hopefully the swans can beat Freo for you this weekend . I'm assuming is deliberate , but every season the swans take their foot of the gas a couple of times . It hard to be at peak fitness / intensity all season. I have a feeling Hannabery is going to rip Freo to pieces this weekend . He's been so ordinary this season. Fyfe was the danger man last time we met Freo .

Cliff

AS long time swans supporter, you are a "true believer" Cliff.

If Sydney Beats Freo, it will give glimmer of hope we have a chance, but I expect us to be demolished.

IT is the curse of Buddy. I never particularly liked Buddy ( as footballer) as he seems to shine when the game was already won. So I could not understand why after getting Tippett, we chased and paid a heavy price for Buddy? IT buggered up the the "bloods culture" ( remember when we booted Barry) and now, players that played for heart as starting to give up. And where is Goodes?

Prove me wrong but I fear Sydney Swans could have the worst season since the 1990s this year.

Peter 14.7

The main thing I wasn't keen on was the duration of the Contract , Though the implication is he's not getting much in the last years and with inflation thrown in he might be a cheap player at the end . The reality is he is a good player , but was playing with the same team for ? nine years , so every one takes a while to adjust , but they do look top heavy .

Time will tell.

I'm just hoping there was no problem with rhino and buddy which was the suggestion. He typifies the swans. Given his season last year , now to be dropped to the reserves .....

Cliff

Back