Footpath/Road bore for telephone connection

I am completing a new rear unit and connecting telephone line with Optus. My builder has installed underground telephone line and have the one end of the telephone line just right at the front gate.

Today, Optus told me that I have to ask builder to have the one end of the telephone line at other side of the road. The builder should conduct the survey and know where the telephone should be, as this a part of the plan permit. If Optus orders their contractor to do this, it will be more expensive than builder does. Optus says draftly cost is more than $1000 for this.

I requested the builder install telephone line at other side of the road but he told me only telephone company can do this.

Anyone knows what the right thing I should do to connect the telephone line in my case?

The builder contract excludes the telephone survey and installation cost for works provided contractors (see below). I think that I will arrange a contractor to do this. Do you know any contractor can put the underground telephone line to the other side of the road?

attachment.php

Attachments

• builder contract.png
    builder contract.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Optus may require certified contractors to undertake the work. Work done on private property can be done by your guy but when it connects to the "main" it may require an approved contractor.

Optus should be able to clear it up, I would imagine that as there is no cable installed yet your builder cant just run a conduit across the road as it would need to go to a pit or specified place for optus to install a cable from.

Optus should advise you where you are to make a point available for them to install their cable. It may even be Optuses responsibility to cross the road??

The way it usually works is that you (or your sparky) takes it to the property boundary and the provider takes it from there. I have never dealt with Optus though so maybe they do things differently. If they are adamant that you need to organise it then ask them for a list of their approved subbies, but it is going to cost you a lot more than the $400 estimated by the builder. Just keep in mind also that when dealing with any of these new connection departments that the wheels turn very very slowly.

Tools

The network is mostlikely owned by Telstra and Optus will not pay for the road bore so you need to request the new connection through Telstra and they will bore the road to pickup your leadin for the price of a standard new connection:)

Greenfield areas ( new estates) may be an NBN area, so different rules apply

As a CT with Telstra i come across this all the time and you didn't hear it from me:cool:

A 15mtr road bore and pits either side would cost around 3k

Back