For inner city high-rise residential owner-occupiers

Hi everyone,

James here. I just joined specifically to have garner some feedback I have been thinking about (not sure if it fits into this section of your forum or in the 'Innovative Techniques' - so I have put it in both, I hope thats fine).

I have something I would like to ask of the more vocal of you – especially from owner-occupiers that live in residential high-rise apartments/condominiums in and around Australia's CBDs. I am grateful for any valuable insight or opinions you may have :)

Basically, I am looking to get feedback from owner-occupiers that live in residential high-rise apartments/condominiums in and around CBDs.

At this stage I have been asked by a Chinese developer (a relative) to install a digital display (a commercial TV designed to run 24 hours a day/7 days a week) in a residential apartment building – in a block of about 30 units in Melbourne's South-East.
His rationale was that it is being done in China and that it improves the aesthetics of the apartment (more modern design, I suppose) which can improve the building value, possibly justify higher rents and I suppose increase tenant loyalty.

This kind of rang light-bulbs in my head over the benefits a digital TV could offer a residential apartment building. This is what I have come up with so far:

1. Provide an easy, efficient medium for building management to update residents on important building messages by displaying them on the screen.

2. Inform and update residents daily with dynamic news content (top stories, sport, showbiz and weather as they enter/exit their building.

3. Provide free wi-fi to residents and visitors in common areas (lobby, tennis courts etc).

4. Possibly improve the modern design aesthetics which increases apartment value, possibly justify higher rents and tenant loyalty (bringing the building somewhat in the digital age?)

5. Nil cost of ownership for the building including hardware solution, on-going maintenance, support etc.

6. Provide advertising revenue that is generated by relevant, targeted advertising (of course suiting the market demographic residing in the building) that is sold/leased on the displays.

Specifically, I would like opinions on how receptive owner-occupiers would be to this new facility in their high-rise buildings with special emphasis on the fact that relevant advertising will be displayed on the screen (I have a friends living in Southbank and know for a fact, my friends and alot of people hate junk-mail with a passion).

However, I am at two ends if advertising on a screen will be viewed in the same light as junk-mail intruding on one's letterbox.

Thanks guys, sometimes it is hard to think outside of my own head and I am most grateful of any feedback any of you can provide.

Thank-you!

James

At this stage I have been asked by a Chinese developer (a relative) to install a digital display (a commercial TV designed to run 24 hours a day/7 days a week) in a residential apartment building – in a block of about 30 units in Melbourne's South-East.

I'm confused as to where this screen or screens would be... in every apartment, in communal areas?

If it cost less to run and depending how big the screens are
Maybe in lifts or outside lifts or lounge areas

If u can secure advertisers that would good but if it cost heaps to run

The owners Corp would just remove it in later years and the effort would be just another innovative exercise

Far too crass for my tastes. I don't think the owners in higher end buildings would go for it. They are more interested in what art will hang in the walls Ok in mid range I'm sure.

We have something like this at work. It seems a bit too corporate-y for me. I sure wouldn't pay more rent than usual to have advertising in my apartment building - doesn't really provide any "value" for me personally.

Thanks Cimbom. Yes, definitely.
In terms of value, how do you feel about the latest news and today's weather as you enter and exit the building?

Basically, I am looking to get feedback from owner-occupiers that live in residential high-rise apartments/condominiums in and around CBDs.

I don't live in such a place, but happy to provide feedback on what I would like... or not.

His rationale was that it is being done in China and that it improves the aesthetics of the apartment (more modern design, I suppose) which can improve the building value, possibly justify higher rents and I suppose increase tenant loyalty.

I'm not sure it would improve the aesthetics, unless you had a nice scene rather than adverts running. When something important needs to be conveyed (eg. fire alarm check tomorrow 11am) you could have that displayed. What type of messages would tenants need to hear about and how is this sort of information conveyed to residents of high rise now?

This kind of rang light-bulbs in my head over the benefits a digital TV could offer a residential apartment building. This is what I have come up with so far:

1. Provide an easy, efficient medium for building management to update residents on important building messages by displaying them on the screen.
See above. How are important messages relayed to residents of high rise now?

2. Inform and update residents daily with dynamic news content (top stories, sport, showbiz and weather as they enter/exit their building.
I would think the only people who would notice are those kept captive waiting for a lift.

3. Provide free wi-fi to residents and visitors in common areas (lobby, tennis courts etc).Is it really "free"? Who pays for it? I assume the company using the screens to advertise their product or services also pays for the "free" wi-fi? How would they know if their adverts are having any results in increased sales?

4. Possibly improve the modern design aesthetics which increases apartment value, possibly justify higher rents and tenant loyalty (bringing the building somewhat in the digital age?)

Personally, I would not pay higher rent for being "forced" or even having the option of being able to watch a large screen that is showing advertisements. I cannot see increased tenant loyalty either. I agree with someone else who said a nice piece of art would be more appealing, but maybe the screen can be an "artwork" when it is not displaying necessary notices to the residents... but there would be no "profit" in that for anybody.

5. Nil cost of ownership for the building including hardware solution, on-going maintenance, support etc.

I would see it a bit like pop-up ads on my computer... annoying. So it could backfire. I wouldn't want to pay for on-going maintenance or support for someone using my foyer to advertise their wares, even if that screen also doubled up as a notice board.

6. Provide advertising revenue that is generated by relevant, targeted advertising (of course suiting the market demographic residing in the building) that is sold/leased on the displays.

Specifically, I would like opinions on how receptive owner-occupiers would be to this new facility in their high-rise buildings with special emphasis on the fact that relevant advertising will be displayed on the screen (I have a friends living in Southbank and know for a fact, my friends and alot of people hate junk-mail with a passion).

However, I am at two ends if advertising on a screen will be viewed in the same light as junk-mail intruding on one's letterbox.

I hope my answers don't offend. I really would feel it impinged on my foyer, trying to sell me something under the guise of being a medium to pass on any information. What sort of information would be conveyed on the screen, and how is that information conveyed at present?

I have a "no junk mail" sticker on my letterbox and I would not like such advertising "in my face" each time I walked into my "home".

I'd love to hear what others think?

Thanks. No not at all :) I appreciate direct answers :)

Well this more-so benefits building management as they no longer have to print out multiple printouts and physically place them in each elevator of each building they manage. In the block of apartments I live in, the owner's corporation/building management manage 20 buildings. So its more so a time/efficiency saving for them.

Examples of the types of data I have seen are emergency procedures, general info about bodycorp services/meetings, housekeeping info (noise levels, usage of bin chute, noise levels etc).

Re: Free wifi: Assuming this venture is pursued, the company I start would pay for it utilising the revenue generated from the advertising. A portion of that revenue could go to owner's corporation - say 6-10k a year - which could go to contributing to other maintenance costs within the building.

Personally, I would not pay higher rent for being "forced" or even having the option of being able to watch a large screen that is showing advertisements. I cannot see increased tenant loyalty either. I agree with someone else who said a nice piece of art would be more appealing, but maybe the screen can be an "artwork" when it is not displaying necessary notices to the residents... but there would be no "profit" in that for anybody.

Yes, I agree with this too.

In reference, to the ROI on value for advertisers. Yes. This would be difficult to quantify.

The company that provides the screen and technology will pay for the screen and all associated costs with maintenance, repair, insurance etc.

:)

Thanks. No not at all :) I appreciate direct answers :)

Well this more-so benefits building management as they no longer have to print out multiple printouts and physically place them in each elevator of each building they manage. In the block of apartments I live in, the owner's corporation/building management manage 20 buildings. So its more so a time/efficiency saving for them.

Examples of the types of data I have seen are emergency procedures, general info about bodycorp services/meetings, housekeeping info (noise levels, usage of bin chute, noise levels etc).

Re: Free wifi: Assuming this venture is pursued, the company I start would pay for it utilising the revenue generated from the advertising. A portion of that revenue could go to owner's corporation - say 6-10k a year - which could go to contributing to other maintenance costs within the building.

Yes, I agree with this too.

In reference, to the ROI on value for advertisers. Yes. This would be difficult to quantify.

The company that provides the screen and technology will pay for the screen and all associated costs with maintenance, repair, insurance etc.

:)

Crikey!! If the revenue generated from the advertising is so much that a portion ($6K to $10K) can go to the owner's corporation, then my eyes water at just how much revenue they would expect from this venture?

How would they know how much revenue flows from it anyway, in order to work out how much would go to the OC?

The company that manages the screen and sources the advertising for the screen would have to be transparent in terms of the revenue generated on that screen for that building. I hope that sentence wasn't that long.

"Digital Signage" is the proper teminology - and I better not comment too much because I work for one of the companies that sells it :D

Agree with others though -
waiting rooms - yes
shopping centres - yes
real estate agencies - yes
stations/bus stops - yes
residential - ...... not so sure.... bit like the capitalist version of the North Korean state radio that is piped to very household and can be turned down but never turned off?

The Y-man

i live in a high rise having lived before in the southbank, south melb, st kilda and CBD market.

would be interested to work out the marketing to the target advertisers and how it would get the owners corp to OK it.

Back