For inner city high-rise residential owner-occupiers

would be interested to work out the marketing to the target advertisers and how it would get the owners corp to OK it.

That's easy Melbournian - we'll put iris scanners to recognise you and put adverts targeted to your personal needs :D.... uh, hang on, not meant to have that yet... now where's that little red ball...

The Y-man

Ah thanks guys :)

It is clear the response is swaying towards that this isn't a good idea. Your responses are KIND OF what I have expected.

I am most grateful for all your input and feedback :)

I'm a bit foolish and stubborn SOB so I'm going to give it a shot with putting it in 1x building anyway - see if I can push through the obstacles and see if I can get it physically in there with the resistance or lack of from OC and resident's committee.

Feel free to give further feedback below, I love this whole exercise in hearing what people have to say. Especially when its honest and direct to the point.

I will continue to read and respond should there by more people commenting.

:)

The other issue we had when we owned an aprartment in a highrise in Southbank (Melb) was theft from common areas - vases, pictures/frames, etc all got stolen.

The body corp had to decide between having surveillance or no "extras" in foyers etc. Can imagine your flat screen going walkabouts too if not watched.

The Y-man

Having previously owned and lived in a wonderful apartment in an iconic building in Sydney I am able to give my opinion. These building all have security cameras & mostly a concierge on duty. I really do not think any of the owners would welcome a flat screen t.v in the foyer relaying news,info& including ads to amortise cost of same. The atmosphere we like to maintain is one of serene escape from the clamour of the City once we enter our home. Now putting on my hat as a landlord in other inner city apartments all well maintained about 50/50 owners to tenants I observe that the foyers though pleasant are not necessarily a place to pause & watch news, info etc Most people once they enter are only interested in getting up to their own space ASAP often loaded up with lap tops ,shopping etc . I had thought the only place where such installations as you contemplate would work might be a communal laundry in a more budget building but they are often fairly bleak rooms & I think people often don't even linger there They usually put their washing in the machine & come back later to retrieve. Nevertheless I do wish you well with your enterprise- & don't want to be negative-maybe start thinking of other places where they might be installed- car wash cafes?

i personally don't think the idea would be successful unless you have advertisers lined up

i have a friend whose business is overseas in asia which runs a company that basically rents the space of tables in cafes etc. his clients are the major telcos etc. So basically he has a printing division that prints the ads and paste them on the tables where patrons sit. and he had to sign up to nearly majority of the major cafe outlets.

http://www.tableview.com.my/index.htm

unfortunately he did try to implement it here in melbourne but it did not eventuate. just my 2 cents.

Not knowing a lot about advertising myself, but i would assume that to generate the sort of revenue indicated, there would HAVE to be far more ads, than anything "useful".

I wouldn't like this in our building foyer, it screams out train station to me. And as mentioned by others, people only pass thru the foyer on their way to/from their apt.

Back