For those with an offset account, do you use your credit card all the time?

I think MangoM means that they use their rewards vouchers to buy things they normally would - eg food and petrol, and so are able to save the money they would normally be spending on such items.
They don't go - ooh $500 voucher/rewards credit, let's get a new ipad.

I agree, I reckon for the vast majority of people (including myself although I'm probably one of the more disciplined), the theoretical savings (interest free period, free insurance, points etc) from using credit cards would be far outweighed by the greater amount we are actually spending in the first place, because of the convenience of using cards.

Spending circa $500 on an iPad or whatever is a very different experience if you have to trudge to the ATM, withdraw 5 green ones and go to the shop and actually hand them over, compared to just giving someone a card at the shop in the first place or typing in some numbers on your internet shopping screen with free delivery.

I know a few people who have gone back to cash only because of this and I'm seriously considering the same. Spending money just has a different feel about it with the folding stuff. Not to mention my banker would know a lot less about me, which can only be a good thing!

I agree with HiEquity, it is far easier to spend money on a credit card than in cash. Especially online. Especially when you remember your credit number off by heart like I do :eek:

I also use an offset account and use my cc for absolutely everything and pay it off in full monthly. I'm disciplined about it most of the time but sometimes the ease of buying online/using a cc gets the better of me and I have a (very) occasional splurge on something.

Back