Forbes suburb in NSW. Is it worth buying?

I read someone talking about this suburb today. Searched the web and the results state the suburb looks decent.

I see a pretty disparate sale prices. Some 4b houses are listed for around 400K and some 3b around 160K mark. Any one knows a bit more about the suburb?

Getting finance at all will be difficult or a just a certain LVR ?
Also, is there a rebate (on stamp duty or otherwise) for purchasing land?

Searched the web and the results state the suburb looks decent.
I see a pretty disparate sale prices. Some 4b houses are listed for around 400K and some 3b around 160K mark.

That's it? That is the sum total of your research on a potential IP?
Suburb looks decent and has price variances you don't understand the reason for. I see. :confused:

Getting finance at all will be difficult or a just a certain LVR ?
Also, is there a rebate (on stamp duty or otherwise) for purchasing land?

No it's fine but these type of areas are the domain of the majors, with the associated problems of credit scoring etc, particularly if LMI is involved.

Thanks but no thanks Propertunity,
Not everyone has been dealing in properties for ages. There are other stuff that I can do better and I did not ask for a comment on my knowledge about the suburb or my research capabilities. I asked for help and you did not provide any.

I was told you and Jacque were the better BAs around and I have been saving to hire one of you to assist me reach my goal. If that's your attitude, it makes my decision lot easier.

Thanks but no thanks Propertunity,
I asked for help and you did not provide any.

I was told you and Jacque were the better BAs around and I have been saving to hire one of you to assist me reach my goal. If that's your attitude, it makes my decision lot easier.

Hi Dreamzr4u

Cool down....I think you are a tad too sensitive...knowing Alan, he is a straight shooter....he is playing the devil's advocate by challenging you to dig deeper....

if your only criterion in choosing a buyer's agent is just based on a single response which you didn't like ......you have a lot to learn....

think about it...Alan could have not bothered to answer you...you go out and lose your money and then what happens?:eek:

I owe Jacque a few :) but I don't think she goes west past St Marys let alone Forbes. :eek:

Really, as Virgo says, it was just a challenge to do some more of your own research. You'll get a much better response if you do as much as you can and then ask very specific Qs about specific properties in specific streets or school catchment areas.

Cheers,
Alan

Forbes, NSW is not a suburb, it's a small town in the midwest of the state.

It's dominantly rural and has been for a couple hundred years located on the Lachlan River. I dont know if there are any mines starting or going on there lately, but I can tell you I was born in that "suburb"......LOL !:D

I wont ever be buying there....just my opinion.;)

EDIT: Had a quick look at those houses, but no addresses....cause Forbes is a flood town so address is important. We lived just a couple doors from the river b ut on the south side which rose up quickly and would never flood, but the other side of town looks dodgy flood wise.
best a trip out there to investigate for ones self.

My first IP was Forbes. Did a very minor reno (paint), and added 60% of its value.
Was, and is positively geared.

Have a chat with Deb Downey from Ray White. She's great :)

My grandparents lived in Forbes.

Have not spent a large amount of time there...just occasional holidays as a kid.

My (very rough) thoughts:-

(1) Its prosperity fluctuates based on what is happening in the rural area. If there are droughts then not much money is coming in from wheat /lamb/cattle/wool sales.
(2) Some parts of this town flood...very impressively too. Have seen someone row a boat across to the roof of their house near railway lines to rescue stranded chickens. Cheaper areas are low lying though much would be outside of flood areas. Have also seen large rapids flowing through park where the swimming pool is (lower end of Batteye Street) near town centre. Get a flood map.
(3) Its on the Newell Highway and so gets a lot of passing traffic (trucks) from Melbourne to Brisbane.
(4)It used to be a big gold mining area (150 years ago). I think its got 21 pubs yet population is about 9000. Goldrush population was more like 35,0000
(5) it is fairly close to Parkes which was a mooted transport distribution hub for NSW
(6) Its about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Sydney
(7) It can get very cold in winter (not as cold as Orange or Lithgow but you get the idea) and very hot in Summer.

POPULATION9,360
FAMILIES2,504
WORKFORCE4,077
AVERAGE AGE39
AVERAGE INCOME$368 A WEEK
TOTAL PROPERTIES4,171
AVERAGE RENT$120 A WEEK
AVERAGE MORTGAGE$220 A WEEK
AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SIZE2.4
AVERAGE HOUSE PRICE$277,000 IN 2008
Unless noted, demographic data sets are from the 2006 Australian Census.

The driving distance from Sydney, Australia to Forbes, Australia is:

232 miles / 373 km

Last edited:
Not necessarily.

Newer houses are unlikely to be built in a flood area. Houses in true flood areas are going to be old and very cheap.

There are areas (almost like suburbs) within Forbes-some are considered desirable with good amenities. Some are seen as too far from the centre of town.

Not necessarily.

Newer houses are unlikely to be built in a flood area. Houses in true flood areas are going to be old and very cheap.

There are areas (almost like suburbs) within Forbes-some are considered desirable with good amenities. Some are seen as too far from the centre of town.

What about Parkes for flooding. On paper it looks a better option (yield wise) and it seems they only got landlocked from flash flooding rather than river flooding

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...nland-nsw-floods/story-e6frfku0-1225965300259

Spend a few months watching how quickly and how few rental properties are available in Forbes, it would have a very low vacancy rating.

You need to remember that with small regional towns the difference between a "good" area and a "bad" area is much smaller than in a metropolitan area.

4 blocks can sometimes make an absolute world of difference.

One thing to consider is Forbes is an '"application only" town on Genworth's location guide so deals with LMI may be harder.

Back