Forum running like a herd of turtles !!

Yep,

Those turtles are at it again. Running through my work's broadband connection as I always do and its as slow as!

Cheers,
Michael.

geoffw said:
A clutch of slugs is more likely.
Ohhhhhh.....those poor unfortunate creatures who (unlike their counterpart, the snail) have lost their home!!! :(

Guess they should have visited Somersoft (maybe learnt a few value lessons) before over extending them-shells!!! :D

I've noted the forum intermittently slow since around the new vBulletin version being installed. Muppie, which server was being hit, Sydney or USA? And would a site that was mirrored on two servers more likely avoid DOS attack slowdowns?

And I am still unhappy with the post writing limitations of the new vBulletin, such as most mouse edit function being unavailable.

when you experience slowness on this forum, can you also try accessing http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/index.php and see if it's just as slow?

This other forum runs on the same machine so if the problem is on the network or machine, both somersoft and cbus should be slow at the same time.

Knowing whether or not this is the case is important so we're looking at the right place.

OK it appears that the database for the forum needed to be optimised. With such a huge forum as this, I guess it needs to be done regularly. Sim has been notified so he'll run an automatic schedule for it.

My beef is not just that SS is running slow but it keeps logging me off.

More than three qtrs of my posts are lost (Hey! No cheering!). I write a considered reply, hit "preview" and it asks me to log in. If I don't think to save my wisdoms they are lost forever. That's when WTF cuts in.

So is this post worth saving before I preview/post or don't I really care enough to save?

RichardC said:

More than three qtrs of my posts are lost (Hey! No cheering!). I write a considered reply, hit "preview" and it asks me to log in. If I don't think to save my wisdoms they are lost forever. That's when WTF cuts in.
Richard/Bill,

I had the same problem, thinking it was because of the new features in Somersoft, but was later informed that unless you check the "remember me" box when you log on, if you take too long (ie. dawdle) before hitting "submit" or even "preview" it logs you out.

Very frustrating.........:mad: :mad:

But once you check the box, you can take as long as you like, and there is no need to "save" anything for fear of losing it.

RichardC said:

So is this post worth saving before I preview/post or don't I really care enough to save?

If I'm writing a longer post I find it easier to type it out in MS Word and then paste it in. That way you can also spell check it etc.

Cheers

Sultan of Swing said:
If I'm writing a longer post I find it easier to type it out in MS Word and then paste it in. That way you can also spell check it etc.

Cheers
I don't know if it's a new feature, but when you get the screen to post into, just above the smilie faces (top right corner) there is spell-check icon, but mine asks if I want to download iespell.

Does anyone else use this function, that is, have they downloaded iespell enabling them to run a spell check before hitting the "submit" button thus avoiding posting those dreaded oops...typoes??(sp?) :eek:

It didn't used to be this way, and this is claarly an advance in the reverse direction.

When I'm serious I do take time to think about what I'm saying.

ps Had to log back in before I could post this. :( :(

RichardC said:
It didn't used to be this way, and this is claarly an advance in the reverse direction.

When I'm serious I do take time to think about what I'm saying.

ps Had to log back in before I could post this. :( :(
No that's true, I don't remember ever having to "remember me" to stay logged on, but once you get used to it, at least you won't have to keep doing it when it times out on you.

i don't know why any of you guys are having problems. i lurk heaps and toss in the odd bean (as you can see) but have never found somersoft slow or had it log me out, even if i've been away from the screen for an hour or so.

perhaps it's your service provider and not somersoft.

lizzie said:
perhaps it's your service provider and not somersoft.
It was Somersoft- but it seems to be running OK again now.

I had a PM sent- I received the email notification of the PM about 8 hours after the PM (and I monitor email very regularly).

Back