Frankston VIC: Australia's Cheapest Marina Suburb?

I think you'll find that properties that sit for a longer time in Frangers right now - especially in this pricepoint - it's becuase they are most likely to be:
1. Too expensive
2. Not well positioned
3. Cr@p house
4. All of the above.

The second house for example, is an older house with no wow factors - looks like the Vendors are trying to cash in on the land size a bit.

There was a 2x1 unit sold in our block a few weeks ago for $207k; it sat there for quite a few weeks before selling. I thought it'd go within a week.

I asked the agent what had happened there - she said it was the smallest in the complex, hadn't been renoed all that much, etc.

I would not be surpised if they were all of the above. Need to work on my skill of picking value in individual properties.

207k for a unit seems expensive when you add 20-30k and you can get an ok 3bdrm house on a decent sized block.

- Better area then the first but still a little rough, nice sized block too. Any idea what it is rented at? That may be your answer.

- Don't know that area that well.

As far as properties "under offer/contract", I've seen a few times in the last couple of months where the sticker is put on the board, stays there for a month or so and then is removed. It might be a marketing ploy or it may just mean a condition fell through and the agent is a little slack to remove it. Problem is that you are relying on the agent to tell you the truth.

I agree with you. Knowing the rent a place is getting will give you a much better idea of its value. I'd be calling the agents asking once the buying time is closer.

3rd one is just a block of land isn't it?

The listing is confusing but if you look at it carefully, it say at the bottom 3b edrooms and one bathroom. So a decent slab of land with a box on it as player would say.

BTW, as far as value (seeing you asked):
First property seems good value - depending what it sold for. Maybe why it's under offer.

2nd & 3rd properties are pitched at investors, who are pretty thin on the ground at the moment. Whereas 18 mths ago a vendor could ask for a higher price based on subdivision potential; this is not necessarily the case at the moment. The 2nd property is in Frankston heights, which I consider one of the best parts of Frankston. However, it's on the main road for the area so wouldn't be my choice for a road to live on. I imagine that the block would be subdividable but it will only sell to a very limited market. (I'd be surprised if owner-occs wouldn't be interested in it).

Property 3, if only a block of land, is a very limited market as the price is inflated because of the development potential. Just around the corner is this good reno prospect:
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=49096274&s=vic&snf=rbs&tm=1244076684

Also will not appeal to owner-occs, probably. There has been a lot of FHB activity but I've been told that they don't want a reno project. Good thing with this house is that you'll always have an advantage with a 4 bedder in the rental market. Smaller block but from the map looks a decent size despite absolutely woeful pics that make the place look like it's on no land at all. If you are looking mainly for a block with development potential you'd have to check the size of this. But advantage is if you want to wait for a definite market upswing before developing down the track, something like this is perfect. Spend about $20k and you'll get a good return in the meantime.

Your idea for getting a property like that one with reno potential is good. Rent it out, when convenient renovate (my case pay some one to do it) and increase value. I've been following Player/Michael's school of thought and ideally would like to get a place like this on a block at least 600m in size.

Given the massive amount of work that has gone into getting final approval from the government and the inevitability of its construction, how will you cope psychologically when the marina DOES get built Frankstonite? :D Of course you'd want it to fail, that much is clear to all of us. In your negative world, jobs may not be a necessary thing.

I wonder what you do for a living? Need I ask! It unbelievable to think that anyone could want a suburb to fail as much as you do. Please continue to share your aberrant and highly divergent views with us. We are probably the only people who listen to you. Let loose another tirade - we shall all wait with amused smiles to hear what a terrible place Frankston is. If its so terrible, full of crime and despair, I wonder why you live here?

No, don;t work in real estate. Can you go back and read my comments on Frankston again. I've talked down the scumbags and the Pines area and made this comment: "I think Frankston in general is a great place for investment and a great place to live.".

I live here because I love it, I use the beach every day and don't want to lose it. The marina has followed the usual government process and used stealth all the way. There has been no environmental impacts on the revised marina and public consulation has been non-existent. Over a number of posts I've spelt the negatives of the marina and some of the bad areas of Frankston. If you don't like a locals opinion then don't read my posts.

Finally, I live 400m from the Marina site so I will directly benefit if the project succeeds but I don't think it will and us locals will be the ones stuck with it.

I have lived here in Frankston for 10 years and love the place. It reminds me of when I was growing up in Middle Park..before it became unaffordable for the average person.

I think the Marina will be a smashing success. I know my family and I will get a lot of enjoyment from it and am sure it will attract people from all over the place. It will be nice to have a fresh place to go without having to drive all the way to StKilda Beach.

Frankstonite - you sound like the type of guy who goes touring around the area and registering people's trees on the City of Frankston protected trees register.

A bit scared of any new development are you?

Frankstonite - you sound like the type of guy who goes touring around the area and registering people's trees on the City of Frankston protected trees register.

A bit scared of any new development are you?

OK then mate, come down here and I'll give you a personal tour of the area and explain the issues related to the marina.

Take me up on my offer will you? You can then make an informed decision on whether I'm a tree hugger or not.

market report: agents failing to disclose medians to buyers & sellers

Agents continue to fail to disclose median prices to owners when doing appraisals. They dishonestly use privacy legislation as an excuse for hiding vital price-sensitive information from buyers and sellers. It is no wonder their reputations are suffering.

State of the market: Zero new listings in Seaford, Frankston and Frankston North in the past 2 days, according to Domain's website: www.domain.com.au. Supply is tightening with listings down 10% in Frankston over the past week. If this keeps up, there will be nothing for sale in 3 months.

Frankston North has a mere 9 listings
Seaford has 26 listings
Frankston has 101 Listings (down 10% on last weeks figure)

Of the above 136 homes for sale, only 40 are priced below $300k, try calling the agents for these and you may be disappointed - I'm guessing many are "bait advertisements" designed to sucker you in so the agents gets your name and number for his next real listing.

Either way, the median is starting to shift to the right. I predict that the next quarters median will be up significantly. The entire area is still cheap, around 35% below Melbourne's median. Compared to all major Aussie cities, Frankston is the cheapest beachside suburb with marina designation.

Business must be pretty poor for the self-described environmentalist real estate agent who has recently started posting here. Get back out there and start knocking on doors -you can't make a living posting your anti-owner views here. Have you thought of finding more honest work?

I will keep posting state-of-the-market reviews here, using domain data.

I believe agents aren't encouraged to post on this thread. If you are an agent & are reading this, please ensure that everyone in your agency makes new clients aware of the latest median prices. Failure to disclose this vital information to new buyers or sellers on your books will result in your being named here. The internet can make or break you. Do the honest thing by all your buyers and sellers - we have long memories.

Last edited:
As far as properties "under offer/contract", I've seen a few times in the last couple of months where the sticker is put on the board, stays there for a month or so and then is removed. It might be a marketing ploy or it may just mean a condition fell through and the agent is a little slack to remove it. Problem is that you are relying on the agent to tell you the truth.

We all tend to be a bit too cynical when it comes to agents and ethics (me being the ringleader - and I was an agent for 5 mins :eek:), but in these instances, it is usually that the finance didn't get approved.

Not surprising in this (finance) climate.

Last edited:
Agree with you Bayside on that one, in the grand scheme of things it is undervalued but "the Pines" is not one of them. Frankston is a big, big suburb and that is probably one of the worst parts of town.

Can you tell me where you lived? If you really did what you say you did, and lived in the area for 7 months then you were wearing rose coloured glasses.

I think Frankston in general is a great place for investment and a great place to live. Remember I'm the one who lives here. There is still a strong undertow of low life scum that are not going away as development happens and prices increase, check out Hampton East for a perfect example. Building a marina is not going to solve any of these problems and it especially won't solve them when it's a 20-30 minute walk from the city itself. And remember, the Pines is ~10kms from the proposed development site.

At the end of the day I merely pointed out that the Pines area is/was a housing commission, and that should paint an accurate picture for anyone looking to invest in that area.

FWIW, we own a unit in central Frangers - bought in 2003, and my SIL bought a house on "The Pines" the same year.

She works in Seaford and my wife is a nurse at Frangers Hospital - since 1999 (except the 3 years were in the US) and I worked in ICU there for almost 3 years.

We are up there a lot, have to go through it to go anywhere else as well.

From my years of observation of Frangers, I reckon it's not that bad. I've lived in worse places I can tell you.

South Frangers is really nice, Central is a bit more "commercial" but still allright, "The Pines" where the SIL lives is actually not as bad as people think.

"The Pines" is your typical lower-socio economic citizen area. Now, I'm not saying this to be derogatory; just stating facts.

But there are loads of good people living there - always a percentage of low intelligence hoons and bogans of course, but it is mostly full of normal people, pay their way and live life in a decent fashion. It is coming up slowly but surely, and my SIL has more than doubled her money since 2003, and is about to start the subdiv process on her block. She reckons it's been great.

Funnily, she is thinking of moving on - she has started to outgrow it, and is using her subdiv to fund this.

As for the Frankston Marina, here's my take on all this;

I live in Dromana, which is about 20 mins south of Frangers, 5 mins from the Marina Cove marina.

Martha Cove is going to be a terrific place; very "Monaco". It is spectacular and invokes a feeling of excitement, there are a number of very expensive boats sitting there now, but is currently a bit of a dead duck.

Properties are still sitting there unfinished, many are way too expensive and are sitting unsold. The commercial/retail section hasn't started, the private boat mooring berths are too expensive and many sit empty. There are only so many people floating around with $2 mill for a waterfront townhouse (thats about what they are) no where near the City. If it was in St.Kilda or Williamstown, or Port Melb - it would be a huge success by now.

But it will eventually become realistic in price, everything will get finished and it will be a fantastic place to live and visit.

We have seen this area create a lot of visitor interest all year round now - despite it's unfinished state. It has definitely put Safety Beach and Dromana on the map a bit more; the cafe activity on weekends, the values of the real estate - everything is improving and increasing. Not saying it is all due to Martha Cove, but it contributes; it's another part of the attraction to come.

How does this compare to upcoming Frangers Marina?

If they learn from Marina Cove's mistakes and make the place more affordable, and start the comm/retail section straight away so there are some amenities in place for the new residents who build there, and cafes etc for the visitors, it will go well IMHO.

People love Marinas. We visited plenty of them while in the US, and they are always a thriving, active place all year round. Ovbviously Summer/Autumn is the best time.

The Frankston Marina will part of this exisiting City-
- is closer proximity to Melb than Martha Cove,
- has improved freeway links to get there,
- train line,
- much bigger population than Safety Beach, Mt.Martha and Dromana combined
- hospital, Uni, TAFE, good schools
- large population

- IMHO makes it a project that will be an asset to the City.

Last edited:
forum rules

When I created this thread over a month ago, it was with the intention that existing owner-investors, together with those who have already made the decision to buy in Frankston, should have a venue to discuss matters relevant to us - namely, things like zonings, property managers, development applications and so forth.

Unfortunately, this thread has deteriorated in the last week, thanks to unsolicited new posts by people who have vested interests of their own in wanting to discourage existing owner-investors.

Can I respectfully ask that those who want to pour scorn on the views of committed Frankston owner-investors create a thread of their own? Perhaps you can name your threads "Why I Hate Frankston" or "Marina suburbs in big cities invariably fail" or something of that nature. We wish you well in your endeavours and will not post on your threads.

Once again, if you are on this thread it should be because you own or plan to own in Frankston. Under-employed real estate agents or people with fake IDs need not post here. You know who you are. And we know who you are.

Thank you for your courtesy in abiding by forum rules.

Now worries, Dr K, event though you have a aimed that post at me I'll ignore it. Simply because:

- I'm not a real estate agent
- I don't hate Frankston, I live here, you live in Toorak
- I've state that Frankston is a great place and that I feel the marina is a white elephant and the Pines is not a very nice area
- I own in Frankston

...and if I WAS a real estate agent wouldn't I encourage investment as it means a higher turn over of properties?

Just because I give an opinion on things people post doesn't make me a covert estate agent or a bad person, it just makes me an outsider.

Never said it was a nice area just that it's changing and in a great location. Anyone who wastes so much of their own time talking down an area must have alteria motives or be a double hander.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=1111

Not the first stabbing in Frankston, won't be the last.

So why am I being maligned? It appears that we agree on the Pines. After all, it was you that argued the point when I pointed out to another poster that the house they listed was in a "not very nice area"?

Some more on the murder last night:

Local resident Helen said she had lived in the area for 14 years and the strip of shops was now a notorious drug and drinking hangout.

"I lock my doors when I'm driving through this area," she said.

Many locals said the area was known as a dangerous place.

One woman said her daughters would now be banned from visiting the shopping strip across the road from the suspect's house.

Neighbour Bob Kerstjens said: "It's the first I have ever heard of anything like this happening in our street. It's just ridiculous."

See how ppl have different opinions?

No need to call me names just because you don't agree with me, I thought I'd answered your accusations via the reply I sent to your PM.

Frankston isn't the only area affected by murder - see article. I suspect the median house price for Castle Cove (Syd) is a touch more than Frankston North.

Agreed, but if you have been keeping up with this thread you would have noticed the irony. The street this murder occurred in is the one that Bayview lived off for 7 months. That is why I posted the link.

Guys, I think that my views on Frankston are well know with regards to, "Don't be fooled into thinking it's the next Cottlesloe" or whatever. Frankston North is not the most desirable area to live but, as pointed out, no worse than any other lower socio-economic area in Melbourne.
I want to point out that it's pretty rare to hear about stabbings in frankston - unless they're just not reported. The recent incident is apparently a father killed by his son in a domestic dispute. Tragic. But that doesn't make the streets any less safe. Just don't **** off your family - no matter what suburb you live in.

Last edited by a moderator:
please explain

Just curious as to why an agent must disclose the median sale price to prospective purchasers? I can't recall anywhere in the sale of land act or relelvent statutory regulations that state an agent must disclose the median price.

The energy your putting into this astounds me, as investors we invest in things we think will improve have growth make us money. I don't understand why an investor would waste so much time and energy on negative opinion
Move on buddy

Back