Free API Digital Subscription (Brisbane +Maybe Others)

Hi All,

I recently discovered a feature of our BCC library. If you've got a library card (if you don't a quick visit to one of the librarys will have you going in 5 minutes free of charge) then you can head to the library website and sign up for Zinio access.

BCC provide access to a whole swag of free magazines, one of which being Australian Property Investor!

1. Get Library Card
2. Browse https://www.rbdigital.com/brisbane/service/zinio/landing?
3. Create a New Account using your library card #
4. Find the magazine you want and click "Checkout now" below it
5. In the modal pop-up, click on "Start Reading"
6. Create a Zinio account if you don't ready have one
7. Start Reading!
8. (optional) Download the Zinio app and read that way, it's great.

I believe some other councils are also offering similar services so you should checkout your local and see what they have to offer.

Great initiative. I hope Kindle books are next.

I did a quick google, haven't verified what I saw but it appears that this'll work for most public libraries in the country.

Hi All,

I recently discovered a feature of our BCC library. If you've got a library card (if you don't a quick visit to one of the librarys will have you going in 5 minutes free of charge) then you can head to the library website and sign up for Zinio access.

BCC provide access to a whole swag of free magazines, one of which being Australian Property Investor!

1. Get Library Card
2. Browse https://www.rbdigital.com/brisbane/service/zinio/landing?
3. Create a New Account using your library card #
4. Find the magazine you want and click "Checkout now" below it
5. In the modal pop-up, click on "Start Reading"
6. Create a Zinio account if you don't ready have one
7. Start Reading!
8. (optional) Download the Zinio app and read that way, it's great.

I believe some other councils are also offering similar services so you should checkout your local and see what they have to offer.

That is awesome. Works for Melbourne as well. Thanks for sharing.

I can second that

Just go to your local library and the staff should be able to help you out. It works for the Willoughby/Chatswood libraries, I can get lots of magazines, no charge, and not on physical paper so I have nothing to throw out of the house later. Excellent!

This works great :)

After renewing my library card (due to lack of use), I was able to download q few mags I usually buy including API :)

Thanks heaps!

Got a randwick council library card and it works !

Great resource ! Only problem is I don't seem to value the content as much since I am not paying to read it.

It works for Ashfield, NSW library card too. Discovered it a few months ago and didn't renew my API. More environmentally friendly than having a couple of shelves of old API sitting at home :)

Yen

Weird, looks like API has been removed completely from the libraries with RBDigital... Incl casey/brisbane/monash.

Can anybody else jump on and see if it's still on theirs? I can't find any library with it still listed!

They must've stopped letting libraries subscribe to it, dang!

Yep, same deal with Melbourne Library, gone from there. Gone from Brimbank as well I see.

I suspect that someone from API got wind of it (maybe even on here lol), figured would mean decreased sales, and pulled it. Insecurities?

Just had a confirmatory squiz on my local. It's obviously been wiped from the entire system completely so no one's gonna find it anymore.

Shame, and very likely that API got wind of it here.

Shame.

They way I viewed it, I wasn't a subscriber before so their income stream from library users would be via advertisements. Plus word of mouth to other potentially new subscribers.

Guess they didn't think that was enough. :confused:

It is gone from Ashfield library's e-collection too :( No API, SMI, YIP to download.
The print editions are still in the library catalogue though, and they can be borrowed.

In this day and age where information can be accessed for free through many sources, the ad revenue would make more money for API than subscriptions. Lower readership = less advertising money. When they take it off Zinio, we would simply find the information elsewhere eg. this forum.

Yen

It is gone from Ashfield library's e-collection too :( No API, SMI, YIP to download.
The print editions are still in the library catalogue though, and they can be borrowed.

In this day and age where information can be accessed for free through many sources, the ad revenue would make more money for API than subscriptions. Lower readership = less advertising money. When they take it off Zinio, we would simply find the information elsewhere eg. this forum.

Yen

The irony is that they depend on this forums for their material.

I reckon those magazines needs substantial number of subscribers to get advertisements. SPI magazine has given annual subscription at $29.99 etc. this is to boost number of subscribers.

Paid subscribers are not the only people reading these magazines. I'm on the email list of all 3 mags. There are lots of ads being served up to me every week in the newsletters. Furthermore, they can track exactly how many ads I click, how much time I spend browsing the ads, whether I buy the product etc...this is much more valuable than an ad in the print version where they have no way of tracking viewing at all.
At the end of the day, we need these property magazines for their wonderful stats, and they need us to read their stuff so they can make money.

Hmm, the obscure things one can learn when starting an online business. And yes, I'm tracking how many people from somersoft are clicking on my signature to view my website through google analytics but I can't identify the individuals :)

Yen

Back