Free Hair and Beauty Business

Hi Guys and Gals,
just wondering if you may be able to help me.

I have a commercial property with a fully decked out hair and beauty salon in it.
I am just wondering how you guys would find a good long term tenant.
I have just started advertising "free hair and beauty business" in all the usual places but was thinking about calling around some of the franchisors around sydney.
(it is in Castle Hill NSW)
Do you know if there is an easier way to find these people at the top of the corporations?

The current tenants have a couple of shops but got sick of trying to manage staff so just shut the doors on it recently.(It has been a hair and beauty salon for around 10yrs+)
I am offering the business fully set up for free -when the lease is taken over from the previous tenants.

Maybe you have some other ideas for advertising it ?

thanks heaps

Contact your local hairdressing school (could be a TAFE) and let them know.

Also ask previous tenants if they could let their staff know too.

Regards, Sheryn

For a start, lose the 'free'.

I'd say the stuff in there is worth a fortune - even $5000 or $10,000 for the furniture/stock + great location + long term lease available at X might get more bites than 'free'. Sheryn has the right idea hitting your local hairdressing TAFE though. You could even advertise it as stock included but with a payment plan for people who are really starting new and don't have the upfront $$ to buy the lot off you.

But free? Immediate reaction is: What's wrong with it? Why is someone giving it away? Etc etc. Never underestimate this kind of reaction.

Good thoughts guys !

Its probably not a business that i would give to a newly trained person but
possibly they may tell someone else back at work or elsewhere.

Possibly some hairdressers/beauticians are at the tafe for further training too hey?!!
I agree with putting a price on it with a payment plan may be better .
good work

Are the current tenants no longer paying their rent for the lease?

If they are still paying, why is it that you need to find new tenants, or help them "sell" their business?

It seems like they have told you you can have all the equipment for free and to find new tenants asap.
If so, can't you just sell the equipment for what you can get and widen your target market by leasing the property to any suitable tenant, not just Hair and Beauty prospectives.

Hi Blackspider,
you have hit it on the head !
They are still paying rent and have given me alot of equipment ,
half of which was already mine in the building before they went in.
The reason i am helping find tennants as i dont want to leave it till the end o the lease then have no tenant and the old tenant just walks away.
I believ it is smarter to try rent it as is firstly as a fitout in commercial costs big dollars.This one is worth around 50k min.
To sell it though seperately youd only get 5k ish.
After a while if i can't find someone to take on the salon ill open it up to any use.
It is a pretty good opportunity actually for the right person! But as long as i get a good tenant i m not worried about giving someone a head start.Itll be Win Win !

Has anyone worked with hair and beauty franchises before who may have an interest?

Last edited:
Ha ha free hair ?? I dont know about that man.
btw- noticed i am going seriously grey today actually .

The salon is about 11 years old ,2 storey and is castle hill nsw.(down the road from CH tavern)
It has been a salon for all its life .
It is in a busy little complex and most of fit out is pretty newish

The rent is $645 p/w plus GST .This includes all out goings except excessive water use.

There is also the option to sub lease either floor if yr not interested in doing both hair and beauty .But they work together well in bringing in business for each other of course ! You wouldnt believe the prices ladies pay for some of these treatments these days???!
It is the second biggest industry after food im told too.

Yr welcome to email or pm me if you want further info-as im going into the nest soon

Last edited:
Has anyone worked with hair and beauty franchises before who may have an interest?

I think you can forget the big boys. Chances are if they were interested in the location, they would either:
a) Already have a store in that area. They scout out locations they want to be in years in advance.
b) Already approached an existing business to buy them out if no premises have been available.
c) Already seen your listing and discounted it as not an area they're interested in.

Saving a few $$'s on a salon fitout is not a priority for these guys. If they opened in your location, they'd be gutting the place and refitting it to corporate standards anyway. They are very particular with their stores and franchisees (in some cases to an extreme driving the franchisees crazy) as to what they can and can't do to the look of their stores all the way down to what posters can be put on the walls.

I think "Free Hair & beauty biz" is a great idea.
The "free" is the strongest word in the english marketing language.

Though I'd just let the old tenents worry about it since they have to pay the rent until their lease runs out anyway.
Until then it's not really yourr problem, unless there's only a few months left.

I think you can forget the big boys. Chances are if they were interested in the location, they would either:
a) Already have a store in that area. They scout out locations they want to be in years in advance.
b) Already approached an existing business to buy them out if no premises have been available.
c) Already seen your listing and discounted it as not an area they're interested in.

-Not sure what you mean by this steveadl ?? The big boys-franchisors?? Their are many small business franchises which come out of existing business's. Mate youve got to give it a try -you would be suprised what can come out of a few phone calls .

Piston broke said:
Though I'd just let the old tenents worry about it since they have to pay the rent until their lease runs out anyway.
Until then it's not really yourr problem, unless there's only a few months left.

-Yr right its not my problem now, but what about in a while when the lease runs out ?
My opinion has always been to be procative in business otherwise id find myself broke pretty quickly. Alot of tenants will just stop paying the rent
when it getts tough aswell,so instead of going to all the hasles of sueing them in court id rather get on top of it while ive got time .

You asked about hair and beauty franchises. I'm saying that I doubt the franchises such as Price Attack, HairHouse WareHouse, Petra, Supercuts, Just Cuts etc. would be interested just because there's a location offering a few free chairs and basins.

You'd have a better chance with the small individual operators. Just saying I wouldn't waste too much effort trying to get the franchises interested.

I saw a salon premises like this with free fitout etc available last year for 6 months. In the end the LL ripped it all out and offered it as a vacant shop again. My point is a) a free fit out doesn't mean much if it's not a good location for this type of business (and that's a key point for you as the owner of the building) and b) chances are if the franchises were interested in the location, they would already be there or would have already approached your tenant or another salon in the area about buying them (assuming your store is in a very high traffic and low vacancy area).

I have had some association with this industry in the past and my recommendation is:

1. Put an ad in the positions vacant section with the heading "HAIRDRESSER" and then the details of the pemises underneath for eg:

HAIDRESSER
Fully fitted out hairdressing salon in
Castle Hill looking for new proprietor.
Rent XXXX etc etc...

From my experience there are alot of owner operators of salons that have been set up in the business by their parents, maybe you will get a few biters from the ad who will explore this possibility and you'll get a tenant.

2. Put an ad in the for lease section and use the HAIDRESSING SALON FULLY FITTED. as a heading

There are 2 thoughts I had about this in relation to having another salon there. Firstly as haidressing equipment is expensive, are you sure that the items that the current tenant owns are not going to be claimed before the lease expires. And secondly do you know if the reason it closed was because of staff issues or more of "not enough business" issues.

great points guys- thanks heaps !

I may try an add under hairdresser/beautician maybe as you suggested !

I will write up an agreement for sure to make sure they dont try take stuff at the end of lease.

and it definately was staff issues .It has been a salon for 11 years and used to turn over 9k a week .
I think if someone would go in their and actually own/manage it themselves they will get it pumpin again. Then sub lease out the beauty section and split the costs at 325 ish each incl outgoings !
Alot of people these days expect to just buy or start a business and just get someone in and walk away ,just turning up to pick up the takings.It usually needs alot more energy sown into it when yr getting someone else to manage yr livelihood.

Perhaps stating the obvious since you said you have already been advertising it around the place, but make sure you list it on 'Businesses For Sale' on realcommercial.com.au

It seems your only offering a building and some plant and equipment, no customers or goodwill?
It does help moving a new business of hte same type into premises vacated though. People who cbf ringing up and walk or drive down to get a cut at 'that place they've always gone' will probably still go there. So it is much better than starting cold in a building that used to be, say, a shoe store.

Thanks again guys.

Yes you are correct it is the building lease,
and everything needed to run a hair salon and beauty salon business (excluding products of owners choice)
(they all like their own brands)

Back