FREE investment property newsletter

The latest edition of our FREE 8 page Investment Property Newsletter was sent to subscribers today and discusses how to find a top performing investment property in changing economic times, plus much more.
If you wish to subscribe for FREE or you didn't receive your issue as we had trouble with our ISP today, please email [email protected]
I know the forum's anti spamming policy and thank our host Ian Somers for encouraging us to place these postings in previous months.
Thanks
Michael Yardney
Metropole Properties

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

If anyone has "FREE" valuable information that they wish to share with other investors, they are most welcome to publish those tips directly on this forum? Or is Michael simply using this forum as a marketing conduit?

Reply: 1.1

Personally I would have thought this type of 'information' should be in Meeting Point or other rather than in the Section.

My 2 cents worth..........

:)

Reply: 1.2

I got his newsletter, it's great! Full of insights and information, zero pushiness. Naturally Michael has a business he wants to promote. Just as Somersoft offers this forum to all of us I cannot think of a better way to market, than offer first class, no strings attached great information.

From my point, SPAM doesn't add value for the majority, SPAM is unwanted contains no information of value, and wastes everyone's time. A quality newsletter, with information that adds value, even if it contains a link to a business is not SPAM. Thus the question is for the average member of this forum, is Michael's newsletter of value?

<p>
<table border="0"
cellpadding="0"
cellspacing="0"
width="400"
height="72">
<tr>
<td width="61"
rowspan="4"
height="72">
image-display

<td width="3687"
colspan="2"
align="center"
height="25">
<p align="left">

Investment Laws
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="904"
align="right"
height="18">

1st Law:</td>
<td width="2783" height="18">
"What ever you don't invest you forfeit."</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="904"
align="right"
height="18">

2nd Law:
</td>
<td width="2783" height="18">

"What ever you reap is what you've sown"

</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="904" height="11"> </td>
<td width="2783" height="11">
<p align="right">Jim Rohn;</td>
</tr>

</table>

<p>

Reply: 2

Thanks Ian
Sure I am using the forum to increase our subscription base, but the newsletter is FREE and packed with information.
There is lots of mis information out there at present and our newsletter is the only one I know of written by someone who has invested successfully in property for almost 30 years and traded through 3 property cycles in the same company name without going broke.
It goes to over 1500 property investors in Australia and probably half are regulars of this forum. Each month I gets stacks of thank you emails regarding its contents.
I see it as a way of giving back to the community that has helped me become successful. Most users of this forum are beginning investors or interstate and never likely to be investors in our projects.
Each month tons of new members of the forum email us to get this information, and in the year it has been going only 4 people have requested to be removed from the mailing list.
So I believe your readers find the information useful. I also hope they find my occasional comments on the forum useful. Iv'e been contributing for well over 2 years while lots of other experienced investors have come and gone. (Steve McKight, Geoff Doig etc. I believe I own more property and have a larger turnover than either of them.)
I intend to keep contributing as each week I get 2 or 3 personal emails or phone calls from members of the forum asking for general advice and I love to help them.
Thanks for indulging me in this little justification.
I am happy to post future notices wherever you feel they are appropriate
Michael Yardney
Metropole Properties

Reply: 1.1.1

I draw a distinction here because MY is posting info on a newletter full of useful and interesting property investing information and is NOT full of sales adverts.

I feel there is little difference between MY posting this and one of us posting a link to a news article on another website.

It would be different if he was posting an advert for his newletter/site which didn't really give you much info unless you paid him lots of money first - kind of just a teaser newsletter/site.

Since the information stands on its own merits and any advertising for MY's services is subtle at worst, then I personally don't think it's much of a problem.

If he was advertising a course/seminar, then Meeting Point is the place. Given the general "informational" nature of the newsletter, my view is that this is a suitable place to post.

Of course you are free to disagree ;-)

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.2.1

Robert said " Also, from memory, I don't think Michael has tried to sell
anything from his newsletters (I may be wrong though as I've only got a
"males" memory....)"

Here's the bit where Michael sells his services...
"If you believe you are in the financial position to be involved in this
type of project, and have a minimum of $70,000 equity to invest, please
give Pam a call on 9532 8889 and we will keep you updated with any
opportunities that are coming up."

I happily admit I get the newsletter and I also think it very
worthwhile. My concern is bulk unsolicited email. I don't mind Michael
using viral marketing inside his newsletter, nor using it as an
opportunity to sell his services. I object to him advertising it on the
list.

If Frank Snead is told to share his info and not just give out his phone
number, doesn't this look a little unfair? Shouldn't Michael sell his
services in his signature - like Ross Sondergeld does?

Yes, Michael does contribute to the forum, but so do Dale and Rolf and
the others. All have services to sell, yet they don't spam the list
either. Why should Michael get the privilege?

My other concern is the thin end of the wedge. This is a great forum in
which people share their knowledge, and I am grateful to have found it.
I wouldn't want to see the list cluttered up by spammers.

Jas

Reply: 1.2.1.1

On 2/15/02 1:14:57 PM, Jacinta Thomler wrote:
>
>My concern is bulk
>unsolicited email.

Unsolicited email ? Where did email come into it ?

>If Frank Snead is told to
>share his info and not just
>give out his phone
>number, doesn't this look a
>little unfair?

Major difference I see here is that I don't want to have to talk to Frank to get his info. If he has a "passive" distribution method like an opt-in mailing list (like MY) then great. Having to call him and be subjected to a sales pitch is a different matter. Subtle distinction, I know, but I feel it is clear enough.

>Shouldn't
>Michael sell his
>services in his signature -
>like Ross Sondergeld does?

Mmm... personally I think Ross goes a little overboard with that ;-)

>Yes, Michael does contribute
>to the forum, but so do Dale
>and Rolf and
>the others. All have services
>to sell, yet they don't spam
>the list either.

Rolf's classic by-line "find yourself an independant mortgage broker" with the unwritten words "and I am one of them !!!" implied - that's the same type of subtle selling to me... and I don't mind it at all.

>My other concern is the thin
>end of the wedge. This is a
>great forum in
>which people share their
>knowledge, and I am grateful
>to have found it.
>I wouldn't want to see the
>list cluttered up by spammers.

Indeed. As per my other post in this thread though, I am quite happy to receive a link to freely available information which is useful in its own right. Teaser sites/newsletters are useless however.

I do agree with your sentiment though, even if I am personally prepared to be a little more lenient in areas of subtle differences.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.2.1.1.1

On 2/15/02 1:25:00 PM, Sim' Hampel wrote:
>On 2/15/02 1:14:57 PM, Jas
>wrote:
>>
>>My concern is bulk
>>unsolicited email.
>
>Unsolicited email ? Where did email come
>into it ?

Apologies, BUE is an official term… I should have used spam.

>
>>If Frank Snead is told to
>>share his info and not just
>>give out his phone
>>number, doesn't this look a
>>little unfair?
>
>Major difference I see here is that I
>don't want to have to talk to Frank to
>get his info. If he has a "passive"
>distribution method like an opt-in
>mailing list (like MY) then great.
>

This is the thin end of the wedge argument. So now Frank can spam the list, then X and Y and Z can and suddenly the list isn’t a place to share info, but a place to be bombarded with ads.

>>Shouldn't
>>Michael sell his
>>services in his signature -
>>like Ross Sondergeld does?
>
>Mmm... personally I think Ross goes a
>little overboard with that ;-)

But its not out and out spam – its in the sig
>
>Rolf's classic by-line "find yourself an
>independant mortgage broker" with the
>unwritten words "and I am one of them
>!!!" implied - that's the same type of
>subtle selling to me... and I don't mind
>it at all.

Once again, this is on the bottom of useful information.

Jas

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1

Okay, we can come up with definitions for spam which will make even my posts look evil ;-)

I guess it comes down to what we get out of it... personally, given that any advertising Michael does within his newsletter is subtle and not in-your-face like certain other newsletters which get around, and is free, my view is that the information Michael sends out is valuable enough that I would rather everyone knows that it exists, and will put up with the newsletter advert once every so often.

I asked myself, where would be a better place to post this information ?

- it's not advertising a meeting or seminar or get-together, so Meeting Point is out

- it's not advertising something for sale - not directly at least, so Caveat Emptor is out

- it does talk about general property investing information which is relevant to all of us and is what is discussed in Property Investor Forum, so I guess this is the place it belongs.

I guess if enough people cared, we could come up with a new "guideline" which states that Meeting Point is to be used for advertising meetings/seminars/get-togethers AND newsletters ???? Would that be better ?

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2.1

Isn’t that interesting,

Is it plausible that most of the information in the so called news letter is a culmination of information that has been realest in either the national news, local news or on this forum? Could it be that Michel is using good old influence to covertly Spam?

bydntsel

“Things are rarely what they seem to be”

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1

On 2/15/02 2:08:00 PM, Sim' Hampel wrote:

>I guess if enough people
>cared, we could come up with a
>new "guideline" which states
>that Meeting Point is to be
>used for advertising
>meetings/seminars/get-together
>s AND newsletters ???? Would
>that be better ?

That thin edge of the wedge is now looking suspiciously thicker ;)

Jas

Reply: 2.2

Michael,

What do you want me to say? My information is freely available in a lot of channels and I have not 'gone' anywhere. Quite the opposite and I continue to invest in real estate owning more than 70 +ve properties (and growing).

Many people know that I am quite a regular on the chat forum here at Somersoft. I also write articles for magazines and speak at events around the world.

Seems like your facts are a little light on... do you adopt the same approach for your newsletters?

Steve McKnight
http://www.propertyinvesting.com

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1.1

On 2/15/02 4:20:00 PM, Jacinta Thomler wrote:
>
>That thin edge of the wedge is now
>looking suspiciously thicker ;)

Not sure I follow, Jas ?

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1.2

> From: "Jas" <[email protected]>
>
> On 2/15/02 2:08:00 PM, Sim' Hampel wrote:
>
> >I guess if enough people
> >cared, we could come up with a
> >new "guideline" which states
> >that Meeting Point is to be
> >used for advertising
> >meetings/seminars/get-together
> >s AND newsletters ???? Would
> >that be better ?

On 2/15/02 4:20:00 PM, Jas wrote:

>>That thin edge of the wedge is now
>>looking suspiciously thicker ;)

>Not sure I follow, Jas ?

If one newsletter is the thin end of the wedge, having a 'guideline'
which allows newsletters is a thicker portion of the edge.

If we have to have spam, far better they appear in a new forum devoted
to people advertising their services...

jas

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1.2.1

That is exactly what I suggested... if it's such a problem, let's make the guideline that newsletter adverts go into Meeting Point along with the seminars and courses ("free", "at cost" and "for fee") which appear in there. Problem solvered. Property Investor Forum free of spam (in any form) once more. Happy ?

Other suggestions welcome of course.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2.1.1

I subscribe to Michael's newsletter and I find it most informative. The first time I did so was by reading about it in this forum. Knowledge is power and Michael's contributions have enlightened me to some of the pitfalls for the first time investor. Personally I am grateful. As it is an opt in publication why not advertise it in this forum. After all this forum is about passing on knowledge. Well done MY.

Arthur A

Reply: 1.1.1.1

I have no problems with MY newsletter being "advertised" on this forum. As
Tony the Tiger used to say - there greeeeeeeeat!

ian

Reply: 2.2.1

Yeah, yeah...alright people, enough with the jibes. Put your ego's away, they are not wanted here.
Jacinta: I just want to ask, if you feel that MY's advertising is spam, why do you subscribe? If it wasn't for Michael posting here, I wouldn't know about the newsletter (and I'm sure that goes for at least 50% of the people that recieve it). Are you one of those 50% Jas? If so, then you should understand where I'm coming from. As others have already said, MY's newsletters are packed with great info, a lot of stuff I wouldn't know if it wasn't for the newsetter.
Ian: please don't decide to not allow Michael to post about new issues of the newsletter, they've given a lot of people (especially brand spanking new investors like myself and my partner) heaps of great info that we would not have come across otherwise.
Hey, how's about creating a win/win situation? Maybe you could ask Michael to add details of the forum in the newsletters, allowing those that don't know about it to discover it, in return for advertising each new issue as it comes out on the forum?
You know, people work so much more productively when they work together to formulate a solution, than when they bicker and point fingers at each other. Just some things to think about.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'
P.S. Michael: keep that rad newsletters coming, mate.
P.P.S. Ian: Thanks heaps to you and Jan for a great forum.

Reply: 2.2.1.1

If Rolf were Spamer, what would you say about Steve Navra and Frank Shead?

What about Freestyler network and services associated with it - software, hardware and real estate people?
If Michael Yardney is Spamer, what about very first page of very same forum where Ian advertising Jan’s new book?

Did I personally benefit out of all this? Of cause I did! Do I like Spam? Not really. But how else do we learn about new services and products?
Where do we draw the line?
Soft Spam is OK but hard core one is no good?

Why don't we create another page and call it "Spam" or “Classifieds” and every one can advertise their services and Ian can charge them for it to pay for the forum? Dead simple.

We had that discussion nearly year ago – stop Spaming. If we to stop people to Spam we have to stop give references of nature such as “Call this solicitor he is good” or “That Lady Real Estate Agent from North Shore is very professional and honest…”

Are we concerned about who is Spaming more or the Spam as fact it self?

Yes, it is very tricky - the soft core and hard core. How much do you show them to keep them interested?

Is this what Caveat Emptor was established for? Was it established for business and hard core advertising?

Serge.

Back