Free rent due to roof leak?

Hi there people

Three weeks into a tenancy our Suncorp insurance works to have a roof replaced on our investment property commenced. They removed the asbestos roof and tarped it up overnight before a large deluge caused some leaking.

The insurance repairers are in there the next day cleaning up the water and getting the carpet in one bedroom cleaned and dried. Mostly just leaking and stains along walls.

Pending weather, roof is going on tomorrow and once on all painting will be done immediately.

Tenants have now asked for 2 weeks rent as compensation for inconvenience of "living in a worksite".

I have Terri Scheer landlord insurance, however the work is also a Suncorp insurance job. The property manager has suggested two weeks' free rent with no advice on whether I can claim anything through insurance or whether I should get the property temporarily deemed "uninhabitable" (perhaps around water that may be near power outlets behind wall?) so that I can make a claim, but it may be "inhabitable" again in a few days so would there be a minimum time frame.

Any advice or experience would be much appreciated.

Were the clients aware that roof were going to take place before they signed the tenancy agreement? If so, then i would say no.

If they were not aware, I guess thats fair enough, depending on how long they were inconvenienced for.

Did you know the work was going to take place?
Were the tenants aware?
These facts will be relevant if this ends up in any sort of dispute involving the tribunal.
Marg

Hi - try and speak to Suncorp first and explain that due to the fault of their repairmen there was this problem and tenants are claiming compensation.

Also speak to you Landlord insurer.

If you compensate the tenant before speaking to the insurer it may be more difficult to recover costs.

Consider the bigger picture too;i would speak to the insurers immediately but at the same time negotiate and resolve with the tenant. Insurers can take ages sorting these things out and if you lose the tenant what will it cost you then. Can you negotiate 1 week compensation with the tenant and claim this from Suncorp.

Back