Free Tickets to Home Buyer and Property Investor Show (Sydney)

Cheers Devank. Always worth a visit in my opinion as you do occasionally get some very good speakers. Pretty sure the trading expo is included too which is worth a gander.

Last edited:
Thanks Davenk...I'll check it out. its worth going and just listen to some of the speakers and collect the information that might help you make a decision on where to buy and how much to spend...

Went to the show today. Here are some notes my wife took down.

What To Buy - My Ten Rules For Better Investment Buying By Michael Matusik

1. buy new, buying value

• small project

• prime location

• wheat, work health, education, a...?, transport
• economic pillars

• five or more pillars, not just mining
• accumulative numbers with population growth. Ask and understand the numbers, not just percentage.
• rising workforce, not just unemployment number

5. Design

• perception and use of space

• sharing space too for rentals

• bedrooms equal size and bathrooms

• storage & cars

• noise, privacy and a view

6. Demographics

• not you living there

• live out, not in the property

• white goods and furnishing the property ESP for rental
• singles, couples, groups

• rental is non traditional

• couples no kids
• single parents
• townhouses,

7. Purchase price

• under 600K, preferably under 450-500K. Move a suburb out to afford it.

• wider resale

8. Supply

• local context

• ten year timeframe

• potential trends and sites

9. Proven team

• previous projects

• who is managing the property

• default/ repair policy

10. Local upside

• mixed-use location or will be in the future. Work, rest and play.

• infrastructure plan

• local improvements

• business success

• high recall index, always visit and stay for a couple of days.

Hold for 2 cycles. 10-15 years

Understand your tenant.

Question about OTP:
Buying off the plan can help negotiate with stamp duty, or furniture packages etc, buys time, need to be careful. Not price negotiating.

PROPERTY UPDATE 2012 By Margaret Lomas

Economic factors

• gross domestic product

• gross regional product

• unemployment trends

• jobs growth usually equals economic growth

• industrial and commercial property markets

• services must also grow, otherwise no long term health in the area
• housing starts in the last quarter indicates population growth

• strong leadership at council level crucial driving force behind ultimate economic growth.

State by state

NSW

Sydney housing shortage 130,000

Rental vacancy rates decreasing 1.6%

Rental growth to accelerate already up 5.9%.

Houses forecast to grow at 3% Sydney and 5% in regional I.e Bathurst

Apartments growth less than 1%

VIC

House prices coming off 2011 highs, 3 years of flattening out

Rental vacancies are higher than Syd 2.3%

Ballarat and bendigo 5% forecast

Vacancy rates increase

QLD

Mining towns growth

Non mining stagnating and starting to fall.

Houses in Brisbane suburbs to grow 2%, cbd flat

Apartments fall up to 10% due to oversupply which is not diminishing.

Regional areas with mining influence growth 8-10%

Toowoomba

SA

rental vacancy is the lowest in australia

Growth 3-5%

Suburb growth 5%

WA

Trended down

Increase in rental yield, but not growth

TAS

flat

Vacancy growing

NT

Vacancies should decrease

No major increases

ACT

Highest disposable income

Values flat

Flat vacancy

Cbd poor choices for next two years

Hot spots
NSW
Hunter valley, Orange, Bathurst, black town

VIC

Ballarat, bendigo

Melton Geelong

QLD

Toowoomba

Radcliffe, bundaberg rockhampton

SA

Port noarlunga port Adelaide

WA

Rocking ham, Armadale

Not TAS, nt, act

Market timing is the key, verge of its boom and boom occur during period of ownership. What drives economy?

Why most investors FAIL to build a multi-million dollar property portfolio BY Bryce Holdaway

More than 3 property required.

1. Treat property as a business NOT hobby

• pick the right asset. Investment is a process, not an event.

2. Don't listen to media hype

3. Australia is not one big market.

• huge market to be treated differently with each sub market

4. Understand how to afford multiple properties

• equity fund as a form of cash flow

• family budget

• strategic use of finance ??

• minimise interest repayments
• need a property savvy financial analyst

5. Be mindful of future trends

• lifestyle culture.

Smaller space to get the lifestyle

Workforce will change. Land value is more important, not size of land.

Scarcity. Not highrises.

6. Buy the right property.

• owner occupier appeal

• most important person is the valuer for buy and hold strategy.

7. Have a reliable blueprint

Thanks Devan for that synopsis from today. Am going tomorrow. If any SSers are going to be there, might be good to say hi. Will be at Karina's (Buying in the US) area at 3.45 pm but then again, there will be a big turnout.

I found cheap parking last weekend in the city - Wilson Parking at St Andrews (under Town Hall). Is $10 for weekend days and if you book online it only costs $5.50). For somewhere a bit closer, the parking under the new CBA buildings at Darling Park is $12 for the day.

I went to the expo today but only for an hour in my lunchbreak. A lot of the usual stands weren't there. Much less US and Queensland spruikers than before. Lots of stands for mining town property purchases. Didn't get a chance to listen to any speakers unfortunately. Had one woman try to tell me what great rental yields I'd get by buying a display home in SE Qld. Told her that for the deposit I'd need I could instead buy 3 properties. She looked somewhat confused and her boss quickly took over, hoping I hadn't noticed that she had much less understanding of property than I did.

She looked somewhat confused and her boss quickly took over, hoping I hadn't noticed that she had much less understanding of property than I did.

There was this Townsville stand where the guy was talking to this lady about how great Townsville is and how it is the place to be...We realised he was marketing brand new properties and walked away...

Another one...I wouldn't name which company had their director talking up granny flats...renovations, BA services...

I agree with Lomas about the industry being more regulated. She said she has been lobbying Bill Shorten to do this and would like as much support as possible. I reckon it's a good start because heavens knows how many people get into situations (not being educated) and trust these commission based OTP sellers...

This broker as well said, it's free service and I flagged that they need to accept it's commission based. Everybody needs to earn their income but really...I reckon it's a two way street.

There was this Townsville stand where the guy was talking to this lady about how great Townsville is and how it is the place to be...We realised he was marketing brand new properties and walked away...
Is that the NRAS property?

Lomas's presentation is the only one I thought worth listening to. Everyone else seems to have high level of conflict of interest or hidden agenda.

Oh.. got a free copy of 'Think and Grow Rich - Property' book.

Lomas's presentation is the only one I thought worth listening to. Everyone else seems to have high level of conflict of interest or hidden agenda.

Nah it was a Townsville specific "seller"

Lomas's presentation was decent though her slides were outdated with dates/months being in the past e.g xyz would happen in June 2012..

Pretty cool...which one is the Property book? Different to the Think and Grow Rich book itself?

Saw the stand for that book but have heard so much negativity about Stuart Zadell(spelling?) that I didn't bother with it. Does it seem like it's worth a read?

I listened to Matusik, Lomas and Rich Harvey. I found all interesting. Also the French bloke from Multi-focus property(Supposed to be about setting up a strategy but was a one stop shop talk and just a marketing spiel really)

Also listened to the guy from Silverhall. Supposed to be about finding cash flow and growth in 2012/13. Was more just another marketing talk about NRAS approved new properties in Newcastle, Townsville and SW suburbs of Sydney. Anyone know anything about this group? Looked interesting but I'm so green around the gills and wet behind the ears I have no idea if it is worth investigating further.

Last edited:
I found cheap parking last weekend in the city - Wilson Parking at St Andrews (under Town Hall). Is $10 for weekend days and if you book online it only costs $5.50)

beachgurl thanks for the online booking hint, u saved me $7 :)
(I'll park a bit closer)
btw I'm going there on Sunday morning
Cheers

Taking the family in today. I have never been to one of these before. I will let my 6 year old answer most of the questions

Back