Freestanding House on Title but a Duplex?

Hi everyone,

I recently saw a property up in the Logan Council area (QLD) and I was just perplexed at how it was approved and built. So the place was clearly a duplex which had a shared garage wall with the property next door.

However, it was only sitting on 400 sqm land (same as next door) and the agent told me that it was actually listed on the title as a freestanding house. It also had its own independent street number.

Is this legal or was there something dodgy done during the build process? How did they manage to get a subdivision into 400 sqm each? It wasn't on a corner but it was at the end of a no-through road.

do you mean an 800sqm block that they built a duplex on & then subdivided (i.e. 400sqm per house) or a 400sqm block they built a duplex on & then subdivided (i.e. 200sqm per house)

Hi, I believe it was a 800 sqm block they subdivided into 2 and built a duplex. This in itself must've required a special ruling or something I think?

But another thing is that the agent said its a freestanding house according to the title and there isn't a mention of a duplex anywhere... :confused:

Last edited:
I hope I didn't confuse everyone... :eek:

So the Duplex would've been on 800 sqm and then they subdivided it to have 400 sqm each side. However, each side is listed as a freestanding house on the title according to the agent - is that normal?

Its Logan city council.

all the duplex properties on that street you PM me are on separate titles, even they share a common wall.

highly recommend astute buyer to check if its flood prone since its so close bush land and open space.

In NSW you can have torrens title on that sort of construction but when listed they are usually described as a torrens title duplex not as a free standing house.

Thanks RR and Macca.

Yeah... I was quite perplexed in regards to their free-standing title and was wondering if this was a QLD thing or if they did a dodgy by the council when building it? :eek:

Back