Fridge is too cold

So I have a 12 year old fridge.

Just lately the food is freezing at the bottom of it. I've turned it down as low as possible but still getting drinks freezing etc.

I don't know much about fridges but I'm thinking dodgy thermostat. Any other ideas?

Might have a blocked drain somewhere , most have a drain from the freezer
to the evapurator bowl on top of the motor , you could try turning it off for
a few hours and unfreeze the system.

Not considering a new one? That 12 years old fridge might cost your $$ more in electricity over the year.

I used to have a 6 years old fridge that do that only in summer and work fine in winter. Go figure.

Check the rubber seal around the door, if there is a leak the fridge runs too much as it can't reach the set temperature.

Get warm, damp cloth and clean the seal all the way around then close the door slowly, check visually and manually for a compressed area of seal or a cool breeze.

Safety warning: Don't do this when drunk as head may get trapped in door, which of course saves times opening it when you want the next drink :D

Check the rubber seal around the door, if there is a leak the fridge runs too much as it can't reach the set temperature.

Get warm, damp cloth and clean the seal all the way around then close the door slowly, check visually and manually for a compressed area of seal or a cool breeze.

Safety warning: Don't do this when drunk as head may get trapped in door, which of course saves times opening it when you want the next drink :D

LOL Thanks for the laugh... and don't try to do in from inside either :eek:

Twelve year old fridge... dump it.

It might be the seal. I notice it is splitting in some places.

I plan to get a new fridge. I just want to get six more months out of this one before I knock down and rebuild my PPOR. No point buying a new fridge now only to move house and store it while we build. House sitting so won't need a fridge while building.

There is a lady in town who comes out and replaces fridge seals for quite a reasonable price. Last time I asked for it she said my seals were fine and just adjusted my hinges instead and didn't even charge me. So she gets my business forever now :)

Reminds me of that joke about the sea lion at the Tupperware party .....

If the fridge is continuously running the chances are the thermostat has fused.

Chuck the fridge onto ya trailer and go for a drive down a bumpy track, this can unfuse the thermostat.

It might be the seal... .
Reminds me of that joke about the sea lion at the Tupperware party .....

I once had a seal in my fridge too. I had to dump the fridge as we couldn't get rid of the fishy smell. :eek:

Also reminds me of the joke about the penguin and the seal.

If the fridge is continuously running the chances are the thermostat has fused.

Chuck the fridge onto ya trailer and go for a drive down a bumpy track, this can unfuse the thermostat.

This actually works. We had this issue and we called a fridge man. The fridge was up stairs and he told us to use a trolley and get it down stairs and plug it in. If it still didn't work to call back and he would come and fix it. It worked. Something to do with bumping it down the stairs.

All the time we were thinking he just couldn't be arsed carting it down the stairs and wanted usto do it for him. :D

Blacky

It's a rather sad reflection on our throw away society that a twelve year old fridge should be dumped. A fridge could, and should last a good twenty years (apart from energy efficiency changes).

More a sad reflection on the inbuilt obsolescence of most appliances in the past 20 years.

It's a rather sad reflection on our throw away society that a twelve year old fridge should be dumped. A fridge could, and should last a good twenty years (apart from energy efficiency changes).

Agreed, my mother recently got rid of Kelvin (Kelvinator) who has been in her life for almost 40 years, two marriages and 3 states and replaced it with a more svelte version Sam (samsung) who has already started giving her grief after a few years.

She can now understand why I suggested repairing Kelvin would be the better option.

Back