Friend got $8000 bill from previous rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternit View Post
The tenant did not smoke and live with his family.

So was he there on his own, or was his family there without him?:confused:

The tenant did not smoke and liveD with his family

My bad typing helps me still understand such bad writing, in future feel free to call on my help if needed :confused:

my point exactly.

$8k is a bit of a shock though don't ya reckon ?

the pm didnt notice the carpets were at all more stuffed than they should be until they moved out ?

one would wonder what the point of ongoing inspections and why the stories of supposed insurance companies denying damage claims due to lack of evidence of regular inspections exist wouldn't they ?

Ok, I can understand that damage may have been beyond fair wear and tear.

However, after ten years, there would have been a lot of w&t. For instance, DHA properties get repainted and recarpeted after a six year lease; after nine years the outside gets repainted as well as the inside.

We moved into our house 16 years ago (today). Carpets should have been replaced five years ago- they are a disgrace. We repainted last year. Hot water service needs replacing-but more than ten years life is a bonus. Dishwasher has karked. Ceramic hotplates are cracked and we can only use two out of four.

So your friend may be required to pay something- but certainly not the cost of getting it to a new state. Carpets zilch IMHO. Paint a small percentage. So he should be going back to the tribunal to ask to pay only what should be done to bring it back to whatever condition a 10yo house would be in.

I went back to a house I owned in England after 8 years away. It was already an old house when we left. But the condition was not too bad.

As the owner, I was quite shocked to see the way it had become.

But I now realise that it was just fair W&T that I had not been conditioned to expect.

This landlord may have had a similar reaction.

What so your saying if the PM sees damage they go "well that's ok as the tenant will be there to live in the mess"? So what is the point of inspections?
Well the PM must not be doing a great job but how do you know this damage was hidden? In fact if it is $8,000 worth it doesn't sound very hidden to me, more like the whole place was in bad condition. I stand by what I said that the PM has done a lousy job here unless we hear otherwise.

Can't answer that, as we don't do inspections here.
Not much we can do if a tenant has a lot of clutter and generally messy.
That would be considered none of our business.

Until all the furniture is removed and you can see it in its totality, only then you may be able to assess damage vs wear and tear.

Carpets have a longer life than 10 years. I work where they manufacture carpets. We just installed carpet throughout the whole house a couple of months after a tenant vacated.They ripped up the carpet. We expect it to be there for 15-20 years.
Had to repaint as they repainted rooms after the moved in and used colors
that many would not find acceptable (red ceilings etc) and did not finish many of the rooms they started.We will find out in a few months whether we will be able to be compensated from the tenant as well.

DHA are paid for by taxes.I'm sure they get great deals on carpet and paint :) It would be considered a perk, and people would like to rent to them because of this.

Don't forget that the LL is propbably considering the labor to do this work, not just the materials.

Could it be that the house suffered from settling cracks (seeing it was brand new).

The tenant may have been nice and not reported it?

settling cracks are one thing, worn carpet is another.

$8000 is a shock of a bill - maybe they'll learn next time to look after other people's assets, especially when the person lending the asset is subsidising their living standards for the chosen position to set up home.

Back