From $0 to $5.6 Million in 4 years

Rob can i ask you a question over this.

Does that mean that the debt is non recourse against the other properties.
When you said that the bank owns them, if something goes wrong, and negative equity occurs, can you limit that negative equity to become the banks problem.

I think Rob is not saying it is non recourse or the banks problem.

He is simply stating he would rather have a larger portfolio now at the expense of a lower LVR as over time the LVR will become lower and because the asset base is growing off a higher base the equity gap will end up being bigger.

I said it once before on here if the banks would lend me $120m to buy $100m worth of property and surplus meant I could hold properties for at least 5 years I would sign up in a heartbeat:D

He is simply stating he would rather have a larger portfolio now at the expense of a lower LVR as over time the LVR will become lower and because the asset base is growing off a higher base the equity gap will end up being bigger.

I said it once before on here if the banks would lend me $120m to buy $100m worth of property and surplus meant I could hold properties for at least 5 years I would sign up in a heartbeat:D

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Hi guys,

Thanks Redwing for posting this article online. I guess you wanted to generate a bit of discussion about myself right? :)

One thing I have come to accept is no matter what humans do. Whether they are successful or not, there will always be others out there that want to dissect every piece of information possible to understand the "how's" and the "why's"..... It's just a fact of life.

Nothing I have done as per the article was through magic. Quyen

Hello Quyen

Welcome to the Forum!

Your first post, and I hope the first of many

Yes, people do want to dissect, that's how we learn. If you can do it, I can do it - if I want to!

For most people, though, they don't want to, even if they say that they do.

The community on an internet property investing forum is naturally slanted towards people who invest in, or imagine they want to invest in, property.

Responses here are probably indicative of the general response to stories such as yours. It always seems very fanciful when we read of people who have achieved more than us, in less time than us, and done it from a standing start.

I congratulate you on your success, and hope that you continue to buy property and to grow your portfolio and family wealth.

Australia really is The Lucky Country. Any one of us can become rich - if we want to.

Some of the wealthiest people alive today became that way because they knew what real poverty is and it scared the living daylights out of them.

You have come from parents who risked everything to get here and you have shown great respect to them by proving that they were right to do that. By becoming successful you have justified their faith in their own decision. A respectful Son.

When we have nothing, we have nothing to lose. The most fearful people are those who have a little of something.

Ownership is a fanciful notion. We really own nothing, but if we can be the steward of something, we can go on to great things, yes and our children also. This is how great dynasties are built, from a single action of a single person, passed down through the generations - well, from rags to rags in three generations is the saying, but at least we of the first generation have a great time building it, and our children have a great time managing it, and our grandchildren have a great time squandering it, and so it goes on.

But at least we gave it a go.

So good on you for giving it a go. I, for one, don't give a toss what level of debt you've got or what your LVR is or whether the sky falls next Tuesday.

You gave it a go

And for that, you deserve high praise and all the luck and success that comes your way

Best wishes
Kristine

So would i bigtone, in less than a heartbeat.

Why?
because if i win i win big time, returns on $120m if they turn out to be positive, are huge.
If i lose, whats the worst that can happen, im bankrupt.

The OPPORTUNITY COST, is massively in my favour.

But the same opportunity cost/benefit doesnt stack so neatly as the sums get smaller.

Why?
because i ruin my name and the opportunity to borrow in the future.

Who was it that once said if you are going to be thief, make sure your prize is in the millions.

And what is the annual household income from work/business?

I think we are all in agreeance that to accumulate 5.6 mill is a very good achievement.

But, if you are married, both on $200k per year, double income and no kids, then it is not really that great - just easy actually. Mind you; many people in this financial position don't accumulate even two properties. This family could do it, and still pay off loans as they went.

However, if you are a single parent with 2 kids on $50k per year and renting, then I would say unbelievably fantastic result.

Can you see where I'm coming from guys?

There's always Option 2 :D?

I agree with JIT, the devil is in the details, we can always learn something from anothers journey, hence the popularity of those threads like Brenda's, Keiths, Rob's, Nathans etc

Last edited:
This is truely inspirational stuff Quyen, I hope you hang around here so we can learn more, and I will buy the mag and have a read anyway.

true daniel, that's why you should never invest. its too risky mate, interest rates are going up, prices are crashng, dont you kw ther's a r GFC going on ?

it's hard to admit aht someone may have done well, no, it's hard to admit someone amay have done better than us.

It's almost like some people are HOPING that the person crashes.

gees, the same thinking applies to $400k debt - if you cant meet the interest payments you're stuffed... lets say that every single time we hear someone say "I just bought my first IP"

jaycee, I'd wish you would pull your head in and calm down. It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about something. There are some people here who just want to know some important details about how Quyen achieved what he did. I'd like to know too, and the questions were not in any way hoping Quyen or anyone else was going to crash. Once you are settled, read the questions again.

See ya's.

Congratulations Quyen on achieving what you have in such a short timeframe. It is truly amazing!

Am looking forward to buy the magazine and read your complete story.

Cheers,
Oracle.

true daniel, that's why you should never invest. its too risky mate, interest rates are going up, prices are crashng, dont you kw ther's a r GFC going on ?

it's hard to admit aht someone may have done well, no, it's hard to admit someone amay have done better than us.

It's almost like some people are HOPING that the person crashes.

gees, the same thinking applies to $400k debt - if you cant meet the interest payments you're stuffed... lets say that every single time we hear someone say "I just bought my first IP"

What the hell is your problem? I always want people to succeed...where in my post did I say anything negative about investing? My point is that to get to the "big picture" you need to take into account all the small details. Are you suggesting that people should go out and leverage themselves to their limit without understanding how its all going to be funded?

Whilst $5.6m may sound like a lot.....it is very probable that Quyen has achieved. Not the sort of leveraging I have but nevertheless possible with loans which are still covered mostly by income from the rental properties.

But judging from where he has bought....the properties will continue to steadily go and he has diversified his risk by spreading is purchases around the country.

His strategy is very similar to mine....just that he has about 80% gearing whereas I have a 37% gearing. Each to their own....the other point is that both Quyen and his wife must earn reasonable incomes (say 200k per annum) which will assist with their serviceability.;)

Hi Quyen

For those of us who don't read YIP, it would be great to hear your story on this forum, in your own words if you get the chance. That way we could all learn and be inspired.

Last edited:
Quyen.......Wow, inspirational!

Good on you!

I hate when people say it's luck...you worked hard & were prepared to take risks others weren't.

What a positive mentality you have, thanks for sharing & inspiring me to keep going :)

Dead tired, but still awake!

Hey guys,

Have been flat out with work all day and have flown into Melbourne for two days for work and dead tired, but I thought I'd share a bit more with you guys.

I don't blog, I have never opened Facebook, I never chat, I've never entered into forums, I don't You Tube.......... so this is the first time I've been in such a forum.

Thanks RedWing for opening my eyes.

To continue, I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't take drugs...... How boring I am you must think?

Well, I do love my sports though and I can talk about AFL (my beloved Hawks aren't faring well), Golf (Tiger is human after all), Tennis (Australia needs to focus more on youths) and Soccer (heading over to watch the Socceroos play in South Africa) all day pretty much.

But in working full time, keeping an eye out for property investing opportunities, looking after my two girls and two teenage nephews as well and my curtain business (which I set up on the side), I simply don't have the time to do much these days................

Anyway, you're thinking where am I heading with all of this. Well it's simple, life is simply too short and if you don't make the most of it whilst you can, you might look back in the future and say to yourself, why didn't I give that a go.

What I have done, others can do (and I know of many many others that have done even better). There are no magic tricks or secrets. It's all about educating yourself, networking with like minded people and actually taking ACTION. It's taking action which alot of people are hesitant with. Understandbly taking on a debt of $500,000 is scary to the majority of the population. But try telling that to the likes of James Packer. If he can't take on more debt, how can he build his empire??

I'm sure everyone here knows the difference between good vs bad debt. As long as the banks allow me to borrow more and I'm able to service the loans, then give me good debt anyday :)

Just to give a bit more of a context about my situation:

* Prior to 2002 when I married, I had worked in Australia and Japan, I had saved nothing. I spent it all traveling and just enjoying myself pretty much.
* I lived at home with my folks who weren't rich at all. My mother was a teacher and my father a social worker. Like my story, they came here to Australia with nothing but the clothes on their back.
* But the penny did not even drop for me at all during the time living with my folks. I was living at home for FREE and I thought I had it made!
* After I got married, my wage was $37,000pa and my wife was pregnant with our first child. But she still found work prior to giving birth and was able to work a couple of months before taking leave without pay (as she didn't have enough entitlements for maternity leave).
* Her salary was slightly better than mine at $48,000. Was I jealous, no way. As long as we both were working, we knew we could make ends meet.
* So yes, our combine salaries were pretty decent back in 2003, but it's no where near the $200k combine salary someone mentioned.
* Our salaries have increased naturally over the years because we have both found opportunities to advance to the next level. But still not near the combine $200k.
* Not only do we look after our two young girls but we have also sponsored two of my wifes teenage nephews (15 & 17) as well. They both weren't going anywhere back in Vietnam, so we thought, we'd give them an opportunity to study here and be able to turn their lives around.

Actually, I'm more of a speaker than a writer, because once I write, I can be here all night.

What I'm trying to convey is that there are a million ways to make money. For me, I've found property investing one of the best and proven methods and one which we are comfortable with. Now with our curtain business established and having signed a contract with a large developer in Melbourne, this would then allow us to have more cash to continue doing what we enjoy. Buying more properties.

Another aspect is development which we are in the progress of writing a legal agreement to do with a builder up in Queensland. You put out the cash and hold it in a fixed term deposit in your name and it's used as security for the builder to seek finance. He builds, you do nothing and you work out the splits with him. He's got heaps of projects on the go and I have recommended some of my friends who are interested to give this a go.... It's called being a passive developer. The good thing is that as a builder, he does everything himself (as compared to a developer who will need to hire a builder).

Another aspect is Propert Options, which I believe was mentioned earlier. This is very powerful indeed, but you need the right tools to find these deals. I've subscribed with RP Data at $3000pa, but it's one tool which will allow me to identify perfect sites to proposition owners to take on an Option. This is how Donald Trump made his billions. Controlling the asset is the way to go as compared to owning them. There's absolutely no risk in it whatsoever. But it is damn time consuming indeed. But I'm training my nephews to spot the right location for me and giving them a finders fee.... So they don't mind the time and effort in slogging it out and doing the research.

Anyway, my point in all of this is, I'm not doing all of this to become rich. Money means nothing if you don't have a loving family, stay fit and healthy, have good friends and enjoy life. I'm doing all of this, because I want to. The benefits are clearly there and alot of time and effort have been put in to get things started.

Success to me is taking my family and kids on holiday's as often as we can. That's when you're able to not think about anything and enjoying every bit of time with them.

Success to me is being able to shout my parents a round the world trip and visit my sister in the States on the way. They have worked so hard to give us kids the best education we can so we can fend for ourselves.

Success to me is to live an honest and humble life whereby, you don't judge others but respect everyone in their own right.

But most importantly, success is about giving back. Helping our nephews and also donating to the poor whenever we go back to Vietnam gives us a fantastic feeling. And we never ever want anything in return. And as per my article, I'm more than happy to help others with their investment journey by offering my opinion or assistance in some way.

Anyway, it's nearly 1am and I have to give a presentation at work tomorrow at 9am. Staying with my cousin in Caulfield and not looking forward to catching a jam packed train into the city....... That's why living in Canberra makes getting around alot easier!

I guess I've written pretty much everything here and have bored the beejesus out of everyone so I'll call it a night.

Take it easy guys.

Quyen

Hey guys,

Have been flat out with work all day and have flown into Melbourne for two days for work and dead tired, but I thought I'd share a bit more with you guys.

I don't blog, I have never opened Facebook, I never chat, I've never entered into forums, I don't You Tube.......... so this is the first time I've been in such a forum.

Thanks RedWing for opening my eyes.

To continue, I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't take drugs...... How boring I am you must think?

Well, I do love my sports though and I can talk about AFL (my beloved Hawks aren't faring well), Golf (Tiger is human after all), Tennis (Australia needs to focus more on youths) and Soccer (heading over to watch the Socceroos play in South Africa) all day pretty much.

But in working full time, keeping an eye out for property investing opportunities, looking after my two girls and two teenage nephews as well and my curtain business (which I set up on the side), I simply don't have the time to do much these days................

Anyway, you're thinking where am I heading with all of this. Well it's simple, life is simply too short and if you don't make the most of it whilst you can, you might look back in the future and say to yourself, why didn't I give that a go.

What I have done, others can do (and I know of many many others that have done even better). There are no magic tricks or secrets. It's all about educating yourself, networking with like minded people and actually taking ACTION. It's taking action which alot of people are hesitant with. Understandbly taking on a debt of $500,000 is scary to the majority of the population. But try telling that to the likes of James Packer. If he can't take on more debt, how can he build his empire??

I'm sure everyone here knows the difference between good vs bad debt. As long as the banks allow me to borrow more and I'm able to service the loans, then give me good debt anyday :)

Just to give a bit more of a context about my situation:

* Prior to 2002 when I married, I had worked in Australia and Japan, I had saved nothing. I spent it all traveling and just enjoying myself pretty much.
* I lived at home with my folks who weren't rich at all. My mother was a teacher and my father a social worker. Like my story, they came here to Australia with nothing but the clothes on their back.
* But the penny did not even drop for me at all during the time living with my folks. I was living at home for FREE and I thought I had it made!
* After I got married, my wage was $37,000pa and my wife was pregnant with our first child. But she still found work prior to giving birth and was able to work a couple of months before taking leave without pay (as she didn't have enough entitlements for maternity leave).
* Her salary was slightly better than mine at $48,000. Was I jealous, no way. As long as we both were working, we knew we could make ends meet.
* So yes, our combine salaries were pretty decent back in 2003, but it's no where near the $200k combine salary someone mentioned.
* Our salaries have increased naturally over the years because we have both found opportunities to advance to the next level. But still not near the combine $200k.
* Not only do we look after our two young girls but we have also sponsored two of my wifes teenage nephews (15 & 17) as well. They both weren't going anywhere back in Vietnam, so we thought, we'd give them an opportunity to study here and be able to turn their lives around.

Actually, I'm more of a speaker than a writer, because once I write, I can be here all night.

What I'm trying to convey is that there are a million ways to make money. For me, I've found property investing one of the best and proven methods and one which we are comfortable with. Now with our curtain business established and having signed a contract with a large developer in Melbourne, this would then allow us to have more cash to continue doing what we enjoy. Buying more properties.

Another aspect is development which we are in the progress of writing a legal agreement to do with a builder up in Queensland. You put out the cash and hold it in a fixed term deposit in your name and it's used as security for the builder to seek finance. He builds, you do nothing and you work out the splits with him. He's got heaps of projects on the go and I have recommended some of my friends who are interested to give this a go.... It's called being a passive developer. The good thing is that as a builder, he does everything himself (as compared to a developer who will need to hire a builder).

Another aspect is Propert Options, which I believe was mentioned earlier. This is very powerful indeed, but you need the right tools to find these deals. I've subscribed with RP Data at $3000pa, but it's one tool which will allow me to identify perfect sites to proposition owners to take on an Option. This is how Donald Trump made his billions. Controlling the asset is the way to go as compared to owning them. There's absolutely no risk in it whatsoever. But it is damn time consuming indeed. But I'm training my nephews to spot the right location for me and giving them a finders fee.... So they don't mind the time and effort in slogging it out and doing the research.

Anyway, my point in all of this is, I'm not doing all of this to become rich. Money means nothing if you don't have a loving family, stay fit and healthy, have good friends and enjoy life. I'm doing all of this, because I want to. The benefits are clearly there and alot of time and effort have been put in to get things started.

Success to me is taking my family and kids on holiday's as often as we can. That's when you're able to not think about anything and enjoying every bit of time with them.

Success to me is being able to shout my parents a round the world trip and visit my sister in the States on the way. They have worked so hard to give us kids the best education we can so we can fend for ourselves.

Success to me is to live an honest and humble life whereby, you don't judge others but respect everyone in their own right.

But most importantly, success is about giving back. Helping our nephews and also donating to the poor whenever we go back to Vietnam gives us a fantastic feeling. And we never ever want anything in return. And as per my article, I'm more than happy to help others with their investment journey by offering my opinion or assistance in some way.

Anyway, it's nearly 1am and I have to give a presentation at work tomorrow at 9am. Staying with my cousin in Caulfield and not looking forward to catching a jam packed train into the city....... That's why living in Canberra makes getting around alot easier!

I guess I've written pretty much everything here and have bored the beejesus out of everyone so I'll call it a night.

Take it easy guys.

Quyen

excellent work, thanks for sharing, hope you stick around on the forum

I guess I've written pretty much everything here and have bored the beejesus out of everyone
QuyenAn..... Are you kidding?!?!

There's quite a few here that love reading this stuff.

I like the way you think and wish you continued success.

As others have said, thank you for sharing your story and thoughts and I also hope you will continue to post (if you can find the time, lol)

Regards
Marty

Kudos to you Quyen.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Another big THANK YOU for sharing your story, Quyen and congratulations on your achievements!! It's clear that you love learning & even better - you love taking action as well. Obviously a combination that will continue to serve you & your family well in the future.

But most importantly, success is about giving back. Helping our nephews and also donating to the poor whenever we go back to Vietnam gives us a fantastic feeling. And we never ever want anything in return.

Thank you so much Quyen, I think much like you.

But I share my donations half to Vietnam (the people, not the regime) and half to Australia. Why? Because Vietnam gave me my first life and Australia my second one.

And there's always some spare left for all the others too.

All the best

Truong

Back