From a Sheltered Life to the Latest Gadget!

G'Day

I know I’ve led a sheltered life – but using the mobile phone as a wireless internet modem just takes the cake!

I am happily looking forward to handover of my new shopfront at Mordialloc on Friday, but due to one complication or another I won’t have computers, won’t have internet, won’t have phones or faxes, but yes! will have Raymond on the window, the laptop on the desk and the mobile phone.

So I figure I can take some of the ancient Dell computers from Westall, connect one of them to a printer at reception and burn stuff to CDs and load in to the reception computer if anything needs sharing or printing. I can send faxes from Westall on the way home each day.

But what to do about …. The internet!?!?

The indispensable, wonderful Internet!?! And I’m probably talking about four weeks before the infrastructure is in place, so that’s a long time if I can only check emails at home and can’t track applications progress through the day.

So I thought about getting one of those dinky internet card thingies, then discovered that I can connect my mobile phone to the laptop and use the phone as a wireless modem!

Well! You could have knocked me down with a feather!

So I am now connected with 3 on a $29 plan, and once the full shop system is installed and operational I can drop back to a $5 monthly charge just for web and email access – and yes, this means that I can access email anywhere. (sigh) There is just no rest for the wicked.

But the lovely helpful gentleman on the 3 Help Desk said that although reception was excellent at the shop, they could not guarantee reception along the ‘coast’.

‘What’ said I ‘Does that mean I can’t take my sandwiches and have my lunch at the beach?!?’ ‘Oh, no, goodness gracious me.’ He said (or words to that effect) ‘The reception along the coast is not guaranteed.’

As he was so nice I didn’t have the heart to tell him that the ‘coast’ was in fact, the shoreline of the Bay. But when I sit and look out over the water I shall think of him, somewhere in another hot and dusty continent, with no ocean (or bay) just 50 metres from his office.

So this evening I feel very swish. I am really a Luddite at heart, so to take this bold step and join the wireless revolution is a giant leap for me.

Cheers

Kristine

http://www.three.com.au/cs/ContentS...plate&p=1155054450837&cid=1173842652468&Nav=1

Sounds interesting. Let us know how broad the broadband is in reality. Suppose you could always share the link with another computer by a peer to peer network.

It frustrates me that adsl links are not mobile.

Back