From the other side

Well here we are in sunny Qld. Made the move with only minor breakages and have settled in nicely. You all may remember we leased this house for a year off the internet, sight unseen. What an eye opener. Partner arrived at 5.30 after a really bad day, so it was getting dark as he first saw inside the house. Rang me and said, it looks old & dirty. I spent an absolute sleepless night thinking we had rented this place for a year and just how bad was it. I had just spent all day cleaning our townhouse for rent so had an absolute cow that I would have to completely clean another one before I even unpacked. I rang the agent next am and they went around there and said really the kitchen is clean and you could move straight in and cook, but the skirtings are chipped, ceiling fans rusty, walls chipped. Anyway, next am after a good sleep, he rang and said it didnt look half as bad, the sun was shining, he could hear the waves crashing on shore thru the night and he was really only worried that the rumpus room where I was going to set up a studio was really dark with only 2 little windows. That doesnt worry me because lots of light moving across during the day can be a problem for my sort of painting.

So, the real gripe is that there were only 2 pictures on the net, one of the front which we had done a drive past when we were up here deciding where to live, the other one was the main bedroom which had navy blue and white curtains on both big windows - which were gone when we go here and replaced with white nylon. All bedroom windows have vertical venetians which dont work at all, missing chains, weights, wands and broken cords so they dont even slide across, so I feel like I am going to end up on Utube at night with a thin bit of nylon between me and the world. When I complained to the agent, they said "its very private" because the owners have put ply above the fence along one side but the other (whilst having thick vegetation) a neighbour could still see over.
The piece de resistance though, is the bir. Yes, said the agent when I enquired bir in 2 brs. I opened up the sliding doors, to find not only no drawers (thats fine, have bought a chest of drawers), but the hanging rail is 2700H in mid air, attached to the ceiling, I kid you not. You would need a ladder to hang clothes up
The kitchen & dining room has the most disgusting orange romans with blue & yellow aztec designs, but one looks like it hasnt been down for 10 years, the other two are literally nailed on with one hanging down and not able to be pulled up. I have pinned this all up with safety pins and now it looks a lot better.
The plastic laundry trough bottom is so covered with paint and goop I will have to wash in a bucket and I need two hands to turn on the laundry taps
I have to laugh on the condition report the agent said property presents well. I changed it to property shabby
Now the toilet has started leaking, at least they are sending a plumber in the am
I have complained about these things of course, heard zilch. We are paying $400 pw for this, but its position, position, position. PS- partners really bad day consisted of finding his two cars he sent up on transport had been milked of all petrol leaving him high and dry 100mts down the road. The old Merc has a big tank which takes over $100 to fill and also has an auxilliary tank. Of course if you complain they say its illegal to travel with petrol in the car, but they dont tell you that first off. I reckon they would be making a minimum of $500 a day extra. Anyway, bottom line is,we love it and he loves his new job and my daughter & SIL are flying up in June. All good

Welcome to sunny QLD!

You will love the lifestyle change & wonder why you didnt make the move years ago!

Cheers
Stella

I have lived in Qld before, but right up North 25ks inland from Mackay on the Moranbah/Saraji projects (Incidentally could never have imagined then that anyone would buy houses and make cap gains in Moranbah) and would have stayed then, if I could have bought all my rellies up. Were loving it so much already, trying to think how we could at least get one/some of the kids to move up

Back