Front fence conspiracy

Hi All,
Went to our body corporate meeting last night, and now feeling a bit shafted.
We own a small bedsit out the back of a development of 6 in a popular inner bayside suburb of Melbourne.

The front wooden fence needs replacing soon, approx 15 metres with two gates and motorised driveway gate. The owners in the two front large units has gone a got a super whizbang architect designed schmicko plans drawn up. Estimated the cost to be well over $28,000 for the designer fence. :eek: I estimated replacement/reinstate to be around $5000. I feel $28,000 is a too much to spend for a new fence. We got out voted for all the motions put forward in the meeting, by the front two units. The body corporate said that they can only spend up 2 years total body corporate fees which is around $18,000 per single item. There goes the budget.

My other concern is that the half the front fence pertains to the front units property, I ask the body corporate, how do we take that into consideration? They replied, "there is a term, 'He who benefits more, pays more', which is very grey and not black and white."
I suggested that we contribute to the new replacement value of a standard fence, and anything above that is funded by those who benefit more. This was motioned and thrown out the window.

Any suggestions, do we have to spend heaps simply because where out voted?

Thanks,
Ant.

$28K for a 15m fence. Is it gold plated or something? I'm sorry, but that does seem extreme. I'm sure someone will have some help. Mine are all houses so I don't have anything to do with body corps. Sorry.

AntC,

Unfortunately, body corporates are mini-democracies and votes count. Sounds like the front two units organised a voting block to get what they wanted. They need to advertise what they are going to be voting on in advance though so you can rally your team to come to the meeting. If any Capex is proposed its always good to understand how much it is and what it is for prior to the meeting, and then to ensure that as much people as possible attend and vote that are on your side. This is what the front two units did, and unfortunately what your voting block did not.

I'm not sure that there is anything you can do now unless they have breached procedure somehow. Then you could get in some legal support to get the motion overturned and put to a new vote. e.g. Did they notify in advance of the meeting?

Its ugly, and unfortunately its much harder to do anything now that the motion has passed and the funds allocated.

Sorry,
Michael.

I don't have any answers either and by the sounds of it it really sucks!!

The only 2 positives i can see are, 1/ you get good security gates etc and /2 it may add some value to your own unit.

Cheers :cool:

Update on fence ordeal.

Update

Weve contatcted the manager of the Body Corporate, and his reply was "well there are two sides to every argument, and a court proceedings could be very time hungry and expensive." :(
We contacted the the other two owners who live in Sydney, and they had no idea what was going on, and thanked us for informing them.
They both just want front fence reinstated/replaced, weve told them that weve had one quote so far for $7500. Which sounds a lot better.

Weve requested an "Emergency General Meeting" in two weeks to try and overturn the motions put forward and table all quotes and vote on them.

Oh and cop this, one of the owners who voted for the "fancy $25,000 front fence" sold her apartment last week, and won't even be around to foot the bill. Bet she hasn't told her new owner, of the nice surprise coming up.

My poor wife has spent over 20 hours on this bl--dy thing so far, shes not getting paid for it, just trying to save our tushes from getting burnt financially, and fight for whats ethical. All credit to her, you go girl.

Cheers,
Ant.

Back