Front loaded building contract

I'm reviewing the build contract for my splitter in Queensland. This is the first time that I've dealt with a Qld builder so wondering what the norm is up there.

The HIA contract has a prescribed table for progress payments and also has another section where the builder can tabulate their own progress payment scheme. This builder had added another Stage not in the prescribed, called "upper roof", in between the Frame and Enclosed stages. Once the upper roof stage is completed, the builder requires 55% of the total building cost (split between this stage and earlier stage payments). That is 30% higher than the prescribed schedule for the HIA.

Is this normal for Qld contracts? Last time I built in NSW it was front loaded similarly but the HIA contract didn't include a section for the builder to explain why it won't use the prescribed schedule.

I probably sound a little pendantic but the last time I built, the builder went bust and while I was fortunate to be so far in the build process that my house was finished without too many hassles, I know that others less advanced had to foot a lot of out of pocket expenses as the last few stages cost more for the new builder to complete than was left in the kitty due to front loading.

Sorry not familiar with QLD contracts but be very weary of front loaded contracts. Its one of the biggest risks when signing a building contract.

I am sceptical of builder who do this. When builders have cashflow issues (happens often) they will delay projects where they have collected the cash and will need to pay for the sub contractors from their own project.

Back