Frugal Living Ideas

Hi all, Interested to hear frugal or sustainable living ideas and experiences. But please do NOT start arguing whether frugal living is right or wrong. This is about specific ideas and whether they are efficient.

I will start with a couple

1. Growing vegetables. We use lots of chilli and it is $10+ here. I reckon growing them is cheaper. Not sure about other vegetables.

2. Installing solar panels. WA is mostly sunny and solar panels could cut down the electricity costs.

No problems with that Singo.

Stop using expensive cleaning products that are toxic, make your own products, using ingredients such as vinegar, bio car soda etc. Plenty of info on the net on this

Organise weekly menu prior to shopping and stick to this list.

Shop around and compare prices to source best packages for insurance, internet, phone

Get rid of foxtel (I wont be doing that:p)

2. Installing solar panels. WA is mostly sunny and solar panels could cut down the electricity costs.

Just dont use electricity at all??
Use candles for light, woodfire for heating, good ventilation for cooling.
cook on those camping stove or eat mostly raw!
Obviously no TV and fridge.
Use esky to store perishable goods for somtime (if any)
If you use gadgets, charge them at friends/public places

Stop using expensive cleaning products that are toxic, make your own products, using ingredients such as vinegar, bio car soda etc. Plenty of info on the net on this

I've recently discovered Norwex (along the lines of enyo) - absolutely love their stuff. Most of it is chemical free and does a great job.

Look at the most expensive cost and work on that

If it's food or rent, then you can't eliminate that, but maybe eat out less, move to a cheaper place

I find its better cutting 30 per week on big things instead of 1 per week on cheaper shampoos for example

G'day Singo,

Vege patch is on the list,no brainer,tastes better as well...Also try prickly lettuce,dandelions etc...Free for all!Better for you internally/externally and add to casseroles and or eat raw.

Dandelions? from memory,the white gus was good for warts too.

Solar panels,i'm holding off atm,ie:new roof n guttering may well be on the cards.

Clothes,i think i bought 1 item off ebad in 10yrs.

My internals/externals are via hard garbage as i see fit and kind donations from former neighbors and new neighbors.

Just an EG:i was asked if i wanted a 6k natuzzi leather lounge,colour is to not my liking but it suits all the same + dining table and coffee tables etc.

Picked up some choice paintings off hard hard garbage and some other choice items.

If only if i had more hours in the day.

Ps.End goal off the grid :)

Frugal ?

Hiya

I find that my greatest cost saver is when i make the switch to Aldi....i think i saved half my grocery bills ....

- Buy second hand where appropriate.
- No coffee at work. Just have tea or wait till I go home (stove top percolator) :D.
- Pack my own (and kids) lunch.
- Always research before buying something (where appropriate).

Could save a fortune by not using property managers for your IPs, in Perth that is on average 8.5% pa, if you are renting one property at $500 pw, that will be a saving of $2,210.... I don't actually do this, but hey another way, imagine if you have 10 of these saving you ($22,100 pa), its huge.

Continually review your finance IR, screw them down as low as you can go, all my loans are at 4.79%, perhaps some have got loans lower??? but it all adds up, especially if you have lots of properties.

Read Mr Money Mustache. He can be a little bit over the top at times, but just pick the things you like, there's plenty of good stuff on his website.

Nah MTR,Wholesale biks(well no brand) and minced kangaroo....5kg kangaroo mince for 20$,i get 20 meals.

Biks 25$,probably get 60 meals out of that.

Breakfast he get's biks and chicken necks one day,lamb n veg the next.

He also get's a choice of bone before i go to work...4 helpings for 2$,not so bad.

Btw i was looking at his bones and i'm thinking lol,i could make a great soup or casserole out of that.

Nah MTR,Wholesale biks(well no brand) and minced kangaroo....5kg kangaroo mince for 20$,i get 20 meals.

Biks 25$,probably get 60 meals out of that.

Breakfast he get's biks and chicken necks one day,lamb n veg the next.

He also get's a choice of bone before i go to work...4 helpings for 2$,not so bad.

Btw i was looking at his bones and i'm thinking lol,i could make a great soup or casserole out of that.

Your dog is doing pretty well, I may check out kangaroo meat for a change.

Those bones sound tempting, but don't do it, may turn ugly;)

Back