Frustrated and Confused Build/Pest Inspection

:confused: Hi , wondering if anyone can offer advice?We are trying to buy our second property PPOR. We have made an offer on a property in Winston Hills Just over a week ago. Offer was excepted, we held off from paying a holding deposit and signing up ! We have had a worrying Building and Pest inspection!

The house is around 38 yrs old , red brick! There is traces of old termite damage in roof joist. Evidence of high moisture in bathroom wall, the back yard also needs drainage issue soughted. Gutters replaced !

The pest and building guys could not access the sub floor as the silly vendor bricked up the only access a number of years ago. We have refusedto go any further and have requested that access to the subfloor be had , to be able to make a informed choice as to go ahead with deal. There now has been a verbal that the vendors will cut traps into floor board so pest and building guys can return and go into sub floor.

This is where it is has stalled!

Advice ? Should we just walk away or wait until they do or don't allow access to sub floor? Of course we are vunerable to someone else now coming along and signing up and leaving a deposit! However do people really buy houses without gaining access to sub floors?

Any advice would be good !

Bellosky

Some of our ip's are near impossible to get to the sub floor (no they're not on slabs!) - there's very little clearance under - just enough for ducted heating pipes (stuffed if I know how they will ever be repaired/replaced!! :eek: )

Cheers,

The Y-man

We bought our PPOR last year which had traces of old termite damage. We were in exactly the same position except the vendor allowed us to knock out a few bricks to access the underfloor area.

Despite all this even if a termite/pest report gets the OK, its almost impossible to be sure that the property is 100% clear. If you decide to go ahead with it I recommend get a check at least once a year and also get some Termidor and/or baiting stations if the property allows.

I wouldn't let it put you off the property, just do your checks and even if you cant do them fully then get the protection.

I would also mention the termite mud tracks to the RE as a possible bargaining chip.

Lots of Love :D

Building inspectors have a nack of condeming everything ( limits liability )
The facts are all houses have problems. You just have to ask yourself can you except the problems?
I am glad I bought my ppor after condemnation.:)
Saying that it will be the bigest investment you ever make. So be carefull.
If termites are a worry try using a seperate pest guy as Building & Pest guys are usually Building guys with basic pest knowledge.
I have used http://www.pestforce.com.au/ the past and found the proffesional they have sniffer dogs & thermal cameras at their disposal.

Good luck

I don't personally like houses with low clearance and will not go anywhere near it -- unless it's significant value. accessibility and moist will always pose a problem.

Back