Frustration with searches on RE.com and Domain

One way to improve many sites is to run firefox with the no script addon.
Then allow scripts for that particular website only. Prevents a lot of the external advertising etc from running.

Spot on with the big change a year or so ago. It was basic but did what I wanted without the flashing lights and balloons. They must think that people what something pretty instead of affective. I think the changes were aimed at home owners rather than investors who will have a different search criteria.

Not sure what Random is referring to in street view on Domain, still have to click on the tab to generate street view?

Does anyone else have problems viewing photos in Domain sometimes - have to open a photo and close before able to click through the set of photos?

So what is it exactly you are all wanting to see if it's not the street views?
How much detail about the property physically and location wise is everyone wanting?

The biggest problem is getting both sites to run as they were designed to do. If they were cars they would both get a defect notice with a list a mile long. The cops would have to go back to the station to get another book!!

Secondly, cut out all the unnecessary stuff.

Thirdly, a more refined search ability. Both sites are superior and inferior to the other site depending on what you are looking for. RE.com has taken a step backwards since the facelift last year.

Rhett, if you work for one of the sites ....fix the bloody thing!!!!!! :D

I have to say; You Gets What You Pay for.
If RE and Domain are painful then open an account with Investar - for a few hundred dollars and your (L) Kidney you can find any property your heart desires. Oh did I mention that the property is probably already sold.

A.

I agree with all that's been said denegrating the 'new' Real Estate.com.au site.

I too, find it beyond bloody awful and a pain in the @#%^ to use.

It used to be sooooo much better and faster.

And what's with the 'search within a price range', and every other price other then what you want, comes up? Just mind-numingly annoying.:mad:

Simplify the whole thing and make it easy to negotiate...please!!!

Maybe someone can confirm this so I'm not going mad.

On the realestate.com site when you view a property,
down towards the right bottom you have an area which you have
"People also viewed" section to quickly view other properties.
Is it me or was this originally other properties for sale as lately
when you click on a property in this section they now always come up as sold properties.

This shows what people have viewed that have also viewed the property you are currently looking at, which may also be you - at least that is the the way it used to work.

But I have noticed this week that when I go to look at them out of curiosity they are sold. BUT, look at the date they were sold ........ Sold Date: Mon 17-Aug-09. All I have checked have been 2009.

Like I said, if these sights were cars they would be given defect notices.

This shows what people have viewed that have also viewed the property you are currently looking at, which may also be you - at least that is the the way it used to work.

But I have noticed this week that when I go to look at them out of curiosity they are sold. BUT, look at the date they were sold ........ Sold Date: Mon 17-Aug-09. All I have checked have been 2009.

Like I said, if these sights were cars they would be given defect notices.

Thanks Beachside.

I thought it might have been something I had done to change it.
Its been like that for many months now, I'm certain it used to show
as you describe, viewed and also other viewed properties for sale,
It was never sold properties.

Does anyone use www.realestateview.com.au, and how have they found it.

I did some searching yesterday using the same criteria as on Domain and RE.com. It was not frustrating like the others, less functions but a good basic system which seemed to do as it was supposed to. It did have other features on the same page rather than having to open up another such as demography/growth details etc. I did notice a few properties which I had not seen on the other sites, and later noticed one of those was listed in On The House as sold 4 months ago - hmmm, the system or the agents fault???

Who is behind this, whose reports are used, is it RP Data or APM. I have least faith in RP Data.

If anyone is curious of the "price range" set for a property, let me know. I can PM you 2 very simple steps on how to view the minimum/maximum $ range the REA has set :)

EG: Ad title might be "Property Just Listed" or "EOI"

Following 2 simple steps, you'll be able to see the range the REA has set to appear in searches to give you a better idea instead of picking up the phone (then again they'd probably tell you something different)

Note: (This is for RE, not Domain)

Vinnie

ps: I'm no hacker, just a cluey IT dude

Firstly, I'll start by giving RE.com credit for two things:

1. Including post codes. I remember doing searches for "West End" and coming up with results in both postcodes: 4101 & 4810. Why they have two same named suburbs in one state is beyond me, but at least they sorted that out.

2. Allowing me to exclude properties under offer / contract.

Okay... now to give them a little ribbing. :)

When searching, I'm actually okay if they do want to list suggestions (property that doesn't 100% match my criteria), but allow me to toggle this on and off. I'm guessing they do this so they can explain to prospective clients (agents and owners) that a property has been 'viewed' X many times.

Let me put in Max # for Bedrooms and Bathrooms. You'd be surprised how many times our searches could be made so much easier if I had this feature. It could default to "Any" so those that are happy with the current settings wouldn't be disadvantaged.

Being able to select prices in $50k brackets is useful, but would be nice if I could replace this with specific prices (especially when the search result numbers are really high).

How much did McDonalds pay to get their icons on the map? I'm sure it's a sweet deal for RE.com, but it's not THAT relevant to house prices.

The 'More Options' feature just seems like a waste of time. If I select that I want a property with 'Fully fenced' it reduces my results from 1,004 to 92. I'm pretty sure that more than 9% of property in the Chermside region are fully fenced.

I would like to see a filter to exclude all property that don't list a numeric sale price. That way, if I choose to, I can all eliminate the games played with "Offers over... ", "POA", "Auction", "By Neg", "Contact Agent", etc.

I would like to see a filter to exclude all property without an address.

In the 'Sold Prices' area, many of the agents are entering 'Contact Agent' instead of the price.... making the concept pretty useless.

Here's an example:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-kellyville-107576017

Price guide of early 700's.. after looking through some fairly simple HTML code on this page, it's clear to see the Agent has listed a price range for this property of of 600-700k.

Anyone doing a search for maximum of 650k will still this property, however it's out of their reach - FUSTRATING!

Is this a case of the REA under quoting?
I don't really "get" what you're saying here.

The price guide says early 700's, meaning the vendor wants 700+

You say if I did a search for max 650k that I'll see this house, but I'll also see "early 700's" and already know it's out of my reach.

Looking through the HTML to see the 600-700 only tells you that a search of "max 600k" should still show this listing, but the listing itself basically tells you that they want 700+ anyway.

So, specifically what were you trying to say?

You say if I did a search for max 650k that I'll see this house, but I'll also see "early 700's" and already know it's out of my reach.

Probably a bad example as it has it listed in the title, my apologies. However if the ad had a title suggesting "JUST LISTED", this could most definitely waste ones time. From 650k to say 720k (70k more) - far out of budget if a maximum was 650k

I may just be overly fustrated at the moment looking for property as it seems it's been happening far too many times.. to the point that it's pushing fustrating to boiling point.

/rant

"happy thoughts, happy thoughts, happy thoughts" :eek:

Why not search an exact price on RE.com in google as below:

Site: RE.com "$xxxx"

Wouldn't this work?

(Just answered my own question - no! Unless i'm doing it wrong...)

Back