Funding settlement shortfall and deductibility

Learned members,

My purchase is set up as following:

95% loan

10% equity release - deposit and stamp duty

Let's say the equity release doesn't come through in time for settlement (as it requires a change of lender and discharge of existing mortgage), how can I fund the shortfall and keep the deductibility?

The 10% will only be covered by dipping in to a higher interest line of credit (which is already mixed), and gulp, credit cards.

Will this be any different if it is an IP from day 1? Vs Year 3? I presume its the same, as it is where the trail began?

Any good ways to cover the shortfall then pay myself back with the loan?

Any alternatives I could offer the vendor to get it across the line on the date? (We both need it to settle the precise day it's planned to).

A loan is a loan - same principals apply whether borrowing from credit card of a LOC.

How are you releasing 'equity'? Make sure you don't ruin deductibility of interest by mixing borrowed with non borrowed funds.

Also sounds like you are highly leveraged, be careful.

Hi Terry

Yes, highly leveraged - this purchase is 105% borrowed.

I've refinanced another house to 90% LVR. A second separate loan is secured by this house, and will serve as the deposit, stamp duty for the new purchase.

The house is otherwised financed by a 3rd separate loan with another lender.

(An uninvolved 3rd house is left alone doing its thing at a lower LVR).

My serviceability is very high, I'm not too concerned by a short stretch at high LVR for these two properties.

Settlement day will be tight due to the time lost over Easter. How do I cover the shortfall and maintain deductibility of the deposit/stamp duty loan?

If I pull the money out of the LOC (Which is mixed), this portion of interest is deductible, but if I pay this debt with the 'equity loan' a week later, will this loan be deductible as the money enters my account rather than the vendors?

Make sure you don't ruin deductibility of interest by mixing borrowed with non borrowed funds..

Yes - Good example is using the credit card as you proposed.

ie existing card (private use) has a $10K balance and you draw another $10K for the IP. So its 50% deductible for a month lets say. When you refinance this to the new equity release you will lose deductibility on 50%. You cant earmark the $10K refinance as being for one specific use.

If this is the case you may be better delaying settlement and paying vendor interest - You lawyer should advise.

If I pull the money out of the LOC (Which is mixed), this portion of interest is deductible, but if I pay this debt with the 'equity loan' a week later, will this loan be deductible as the money enters my account rather than the vendors?

Get this split before drawing if you can.

Back