Fundraising ideas ?

So many of you know I am volunteering at Marine Rescue.

We operate a Radio room and a powerful rescue boat all staffed by volunteers.

We are partly funded by the State Goverment. How much, I am not sure. But I am told we need to run raffles, sell sausages outside BCF and man the parking at commercial events for donations in order to get fuel for the boat. We do limited training because the fuel is so expensive. I have been on several rescues and am learning on the job at sea because of fuel costs for training. Fortunately I am an experienced boater and racing sailor.

We did a rescue last night. Three men broken down and drifting a couple of miles offshore. Was about 2 hours. The fuel we used will probably need two us of to sell raffle tickets outside Woolies for a weekend. I did suggest we ask the grateful boaties to buy a raffle ticket book or explain about tax deductible donations to them but that is explicitly not allowed. I know I'd have gladly paid for the fuel had I been rescued. I think people expect us to be fully funded and don't know we have to fundraise. Anyway that is a whole different argument.

I am looking for ideas about raising our profile in the community, fundraising etc. I worked with the local rescue helicopter on Friday and they had a press release out within the hour making them the local heros once again. No mention of our small boat battling the high seas etc. but that is our fault for not being proactive. I contacted the paper but no reply as yet.

Do we have any folks more experienced in this area than me who could perhaps give me some ideas?

At 49 I am about the youngest member, I'm trying to get control of our dead facebook page but am told articles have to be submitted to Sydney for approval which kind of wrecks the whole timeliness of it all. No one else understands how powerful this can be. The dive shop I work with has a thriving facebook presence, I could have photos and stories online before we are even off the boat. So that's a battle I'm trying to fight.

I know I sound like I am moaning but I do really want to influence the culture we have in what is a wonderful organisation. We saved lives.

Ideas?

My immediate thought is that if you are near a populated area, beach? then a regular sausage sizzle may be the easiest and cheapest way to start money flowing whilst you work on other ideas. There always is a fundraising sausage sizzle at Bunnings, weekends and during the week generally too. It must work. You will need one volunteer minimum to run it though, and I guess that you need more volunteers, like most volunteer-run services. Maybe somebody's wife could get involved with other wives to free up the men for manning the station.

Seems crazy to me that you are not allowed to ask for fuel money from the people you save. Some could refuse, but others would be happy to pay. Are your not allowed "officially" to ask? Could you simply let slip to those you save that you have to fundraise even for the fuel used to save them, and see whether they "donate" money as a thank you?

If you are the youngest at 49, then I guess the Facebook thing has to be pushed on them by some sort of marketing person. Will the older ones listen? You might have to wait until they all die or retire before new blood comes in that understands the power of Facebook and the like... and hope the service can run until that time.

How frustrating.

If you can get a story in some newspapers (local and/or national) pushing this story, you may find you get volunteers to come forward. I would guess most people probably think you are like professional lifeguards who are paid (as opposed to volunteer ones mostly who are there for the weekends). Perhaps push about the Facebook angle too and somebody may donate some time to helping get this organised and may also try to make the older ones (and the head office who must vet your stories) see this is 2014 and they need to join the modern times.

If your story gets into the local papers, you may also find a local business who is happy to provide free sausages, free bread, free fuel etc to help. Perhaps they could have a sign up showing they are sponsoring you.

Good on you Simon.

Can you contact various companies in the area and ask for donations and have a raffle day, organise a huge basket full of goodies. On the day you could also have some sort of display set up to promote what you guys do. If you want to go out big time then you could set up stuff for the kids, lots of options here, but requires much more work.

You can also contact various manufacturers (chocolates) set up for fund raising and pass them out to family and friends, volunteers to sell, certain % is made on these, its quite simple process, not so much work

MTR:)

We were facing the same with an organisation I'm with ... fortunately there were a few media savvy young 'uns on board and we just over road the dithering old folks about the facebook and other avenues ... but ... so I feel your pain.

Self promotion is the way to get started. Can you submit something to the free newspapers to start with - The Post and The Star? They are often looking for "human interest" stories - and if they don't have to write them, even better.

Fundraising is hard work. We have a membership fee, hold an annual seminar - but we can't sell raffle tickets or hold bbqs. Fortunately we've discovered an avenue of government funding (horticulture) that will match us dollar for dollar on specific, quantifiable, results driven events.

The problem is that people are getting jaded with every organisation or charity under the sun hitting them up for funding - some days it seems like they're at every street corner and a dozen in each shopping centre.

Balls and themed charity days seem to be popular - people want to get something "back" for their money, rather than just gamble on a raffle ticket - what about getting all the "water" associated businesses in the area together for a market open day.

Perhaps a themed movie night - see if you can get the theatre donated - with some extreme water related movie to show. Trivia nights. Wine tours. Tours of the rescue boat and headquarters ...

Perhaps see if you can approach a school, provide education sessions on the topic, couple this with a fundraising challenge for the school. Provide the chocolate boxes that MTR suggested etc. Leverage other peoples time into fundraising for you - kids love this stuff! Parents on the other hand...

Book in the BBQ at a local Bunnings
Arrange open days like the Fire Brigades
Talk to local school student councils and see if they want to help fundraise
Talk to Rotary, Lions, etc
Get media assistance

What about a wine tasting and cheese evening, that's my thing, contact some of the distributers, you guys take a % of the profits sold, this could be a great money spinner. Have an MC for the evening chatting about what you guys do etc. Make sure everyone has a skipper though

I know some of the private schools do this one and they make a killing as people buy cases of wine they love.

I'll start by saying I know very little about boating.

I did suggest we ask the grateful boaties to buy a raffle ticket book or explain about tax deductible donations to them but that is explicitly not allowed.

I can kind of understand that cause you wouldn't want to create a mindset that boaties think they're going to be 'billed' if they call you and therefore hesitate in calling you. Would you be allowed to encourage them to sell raffle tickets/fund raise on your behalf?

BCF is a good place to sell tickets. Their customers may be your customers one day, so they're likely to be more responsive. Are there other places you could fund raise that have a similar connection - eg the big boat shows at convention centres. Get boating, fishing shops, marina restaurants(?) etc to help selling tickets.

I know I'd have gladly paid for the fuel had I been rescued. I think people expect us to be fully funded and don't know we have to fundraise. Anyway that is a whole different argument.

I think most people would. I couldn't imagine it would be a lot - a few hundred bucks?

It's not a whole different argument because if people think you're fully govt funded then they're not going to donate, or support you. As PR goes it sounds like you're working with a bunch of people from the 1800's.

I am looking for ideas about raising our profile in the community, fundraising etc. I worked with the local rescue helicopter on Friday and they had a press release out within the hour making them the local heros once again. No mention of our small boat battling the high seas etc. but that is our fault for not being proactive. I contacted the paper but no reply as yet.

That's the sort of speed you need to be at with media releases.

You won't get a response from the paper now, it's yesterdays news. I imagine you have very limited capacity to get media releases out so quick? And even less capacity to get those releases in the hands of lots of journos.

Work out the name of the journo who covers this type of story. So if an article appeared about the Friday rescue contact that journo. Don't leave messages - they won't call a 'random' back unless they want something (They're very busy), and you now have nothing to offer them. You may need to be pushy! Keep calling them till you actually get to speak to them. Explain what you can offer. What they want is juicy quotes/news grabs from you or better still the rescued, and quick. So if you can provide quotes like "We're so grateful to bob and team from ABC rescue - without them I think we both would have drowned" - rescued person. or "It's alarming the amount of people who mix booze and boats. They simply don't mix". - you. The journo will then come to you when they hear (eg get the helicopter release) that an event has happened. After not too long they will be a 'hero' for your cause. They will start to include in their stories that you are short of funds etc.

I imagine you have a boat/yacht. After a bit of rapport building offer them a trip on your vessel. Journos expect, and receive free everything - unfortunately your sort of situation is no different.

At 49 I am about the youngest member, I'm trying to get control of our dead facebook page but am told articles have to be submitted to Sydney for approval which kind of wrecks the whole timeliness of it all. No one else understands how powerful this can be.

As I said above, it sounds like your working against, rather than with some dinosaurs. Just do your own thing - it's easier to say sorry than ask permission.

The dive shop I work with has a thriving facebook presence, I could have photos and stories online before we are even off the boat. So that's a battle I'm trying to fight.

Then post them on your site rather than the rescue page. Commercial (which includes charities) need to post on facebook as people not corporations.

I know I sound like I am moaning but I do really want to influence the culture we have in what is a wonderful organisation. We saved lives.
You don't sound like you're moaning at all. Just frustrated by people in your organisation who have no idea about fundraising, PR or new media.

Then post them on your site rather than the rescue page. Commercial (which includes charities) need to post on facebook as people not corporations.

I thought about this too, but if Simon posts on his own Facebook I reckon he will incur the wrath of the organisation. Would that be so Simon? If not, then I'd give it a try anyway.

I don't use or really understand Facebook enough to know whether you could post under your private page and link to the organisation. Could that absolve you of actually posting "on their behalf"?

I'd double check with head office re media and FB procedures - I know our mr group up here get a lot in the paper.

Work with rotary for fundraising ie walk/runs
See what other grants are available - a lot out there and once you have the basics of a good application it's not too hard to make minor alterations
Talk to your local pollies
Hold a corporate barefoot bowls comp - Thursday late afternoon through summer set fee per team of four
Rubber duck race
Flugtag event
Kayak/canoe/ski/paddle board regatta

Some great stuff above. I really mean it.

Like I said, I am one of the youngest there and most think facebook is something teenagers do instead of studying.

So I explained it over and over and it looks like I am to be given the Facebook rights tomorrow. They do all mean well and I imagine that I drive them nuts by asking why we do certain things and why not do other things. I'm sure some of my questions are naive and I certainly am not experienced enough to understand some of the constraints we have.

But I commanded an Army sub unit a lot larger than this so I thnk I have something to offer. I told the boss I wanted his job :) I think he was glad someone did ...

Hi Simon
I used to volunteer at my local Sea Rescue and we were always strapped for funding.

When we rescued someone we would get their contact details and send them a note in the mail. It was worded very well to stipulate that the service is FREE, run by volunteers and was self funded - however, if you would like to donate please do so (and here is a handy envelope). Also please consider becoming a member and volunteering.

Most of the rescues were non-critical, the most common being "we ran out of fuel" closely followed by "our battery is flat".
The majority of people who received a service were happy to fund at least something.

Being a volunteer sea rescue group could you organise a fishing competition in your local area? Get support from companies to donate some prizes, people pay a small fee to enter - which goes to your group. At the end of the comp run a bar/sausage sizzle for extra $$.
You could contact a local fishing clubs and get their support also.
Make it a rule of the comp that they must log on and off, or they are disqualified ;)

Blacky

The Bunnings BBQ is a very good idea. You can make thousands in a single day. The catch is there's a very long waiting list.

A friend of mine runs annual trivia nights, I can put you in touch with him if you want. Between the cost of the table and the money people spend, they make about $50-$100 per head. Put 50 people in a room...

I think the simplest and most effective way is going to be the BCF bbq, I would call on your members to volunteer a few hours every couple of months to man it.

If you had a roster and asked them to attend on that day most would do it I believe.

When at BCF have photos and something to read on display, this causes people to stop and then they are twice as likely to support you.

Also give people the opportunity to simply donate into a couple of buckets, not everyone likes or can eat sausages and coke.

I think the FB will help but quite often journos like contacts that are efficient, if you keep them in the loop it makes them look good. Used to be papers like the Star and Post were keen to get stories, build a rapport and you will get regular articles published.

If you don't get control of their FB page maybe you could start a "Supporters of Marine Rescue" page and post whatever you like?

Are any of your local bowling clubs/rsl clubs willing to sponsor? They have two to three rounds of community funding grants per year, they also often have volunteer groups of staff or members who are happy to help out with fundraising efforts.

As a kid we used to buy raffle tickets and an ink stamp pad from the newsagent.

We then used to door knock and sell tickets ficticiously for the local football club. If someone didn't buy a yicket we'd usually do something silly like pinch the milk money.

It was going great guns till we knocked on the door of the treasurer of the local football club lol....he chased us half way round the block ! lol.

Trivia night in your buildings, where you can incorporate showing people around? You could offer businesses a free table if they're a donor or something, you guys are in a nice spot on the foreshore IIRC.

Are any of your local bowling clubs/rsl clubs willing to sponsor? They have two to three rounds of community funding grants per year, they also often have volunteer groups of staff or members who are happy to help out with fundraising efforts.

Following on from Mooze, search out grants offered by government organisations, not for profits, and even large companies (out Emerald way the mines have quite generous community grants programs). It does take some skill to write grant applications in some cases (my partner used to write them, I was too lazy to figure it all out), but the potential payoff for effort put in (a day or 2 at the computer for anywhere from $500 to $20,000) can be many times greater than what you get from a typical fundraiser. All they usually want in return is some recognition (sponsors banner at promo event/s, story in local paper etc.).

So I got hold of the Facebook page. Actually I started a new one.

In two days I have nearly 80 folks onboard.

Quite pleased :)

Back