Funny guy at the SRO

That's a god point. If you're not receiving cash, it would be a bit silly to withdraw it from your account to carry around.

In my case, (receiving cash as a discount for a job) i couldn't invest it or bank it and it just accumulates. So, spend it.

I think the guy at the SRO maybe didn't want to reveal the true source of his cash. Could be telling porkies.

Unless you regularly get paid cash like in Evand's case why would you withdraw 3.5K from the bank to hold in your wallet instead?

In my case, (receiving cash as a discount for a job) i couldn't invest it or bank it and it just accumulates.

As per Evand I just happen to accumulate cash but its not because I do 'cashies' or anything. I am involved in a hobby where I sell to other hobbyists on a regular basis these transactions are is always cash but all my spending including the hobby is through credit cards or direct transfer and the like.

I find that once you get more than 2k in your wallet you really need to lighten the load:eek::D and have to clear out your wallet so along with all the credit card dockets and the like I will reduce that folding stuff to a less noticeable bulge.

I have 'lost' my wallet about 2 years ago with >2k (close to clean out time:() in it. The contents of the wallet was mailed back to me unfortunately not including the money.

I say lost as my wallet disappeared from a job site where I had momentarily taken it out of my pocket as it was restricting access that I needed. I then forgot about it for about 1/2 hour and by the time I reached for it bye bye baby. I was p****d

Cheers

I would have probed him with more questions. sounds like an interesting guy. People carry cash because they do not have a fear of losing it.

I believe that successful people carry cash for three reasons:
1. Take advantage of opportunities that arise;
2. An affirmation of their success ( better to have a full rather than an empty wallet )
3. Evidence of the notion of abundance.

Personally I would not display wealth. The Germans have as aying which translates roughly as : He who gold never talks about it.

I believe that successful people carry cash for three reasons:
1. Take advantage of opportunities that arise;
2. An affirmation of their success ( better to have a full rather than an empty wallet )
3. Evidence of the notion of abundance.

Personally I would not display wealth. The Germans have as aying which translates roughly as : He who gold never talks about it.

4. Cash only business (legitimate or otherwise)

whether you chose to carry cash or not is one thing, but why would someone feel the need to tell a stranger and then open their wallet and show the notes?
it all seems a little odd?
what sort of reaction were they hoping for, what was the purpose or point?

we have one of those folding pouches for carrying coins which are handy and the design is clever. we sometimes get comments from those who have not seen one before when we open it to pay for purchases.

i think it is an australian design and useful instead of having coins rattling around in your pocket. keeps things tidy. it is practical rather than to flash the cash. in fact it probably looks a little frugal to be searching for small change.
we are all different i suppose.
regards.

but why would someone feel the need to tell a stranger and then open their wallet and show the notes?
it all seems a little odd?
what sort of reaction were they hoping for, what was the purpose or point?

That could be said for everyone on this forum....

Why are most people afraid to carry cash in their pocket?
Even a couple hundred bux get's me "why do you have all that cash?".
They seem either afraid it will get lost/stolen or that they will spend it.
Either way seems to me an insecurity.

A couple of years ago while I was at a body corp meeting it became apparent that I was late with paying my fees and hadn't realised it. The amount was around $800 and so I asked if I could pay cash then and there so that I could still vote. They said yes, but I was told "That's a lot of money to be carrying around." I couldn't think of anything to say so didn't say anything, just smile and nod. I especially didn't tell her it was only 10% of what I had on me at the time.

Cann't speak for anyone but myself. But I rarely carry cash on me - It is too much effort to get it out of the bank for no real purpose. In Canberra you rarely need cash. My DH keeps some coins in the car for parking (which we have to get out specifically for that purpose), but even many of the car parks you can pay with eftpos or credit. The only time I carry large sums of money, is when I am taking it to the bank or from the bank for a specific purpose.

then he remarks to me that he's got $3,500 in his wallet...and to prove it he pulls out his wallet to show me the wedge of green notes!

quote]
Happened to me today at the car auctions,the middle aged Asian man,who was in the line to pay his bill.he has told me many times he came here in a boat in the 70's and now owns 1% of real estate in Darra,"can't be that much money in fast food and butcher shops and asian supermarkets":rolleyes: ,and is at every action i go too for the last ten years,he pulls out 50k in wad of $100 dollar bills and pays his bill,he drives an old car,never seen him in new clothes,the van he drives is full of junk but he carries that level of cash around with him all the time,if you were to go too the truck auctions then you will see people who drop 300k in cash that they carry,i have never had a problem with large amount of money in my back pocket,because i dress worse then my Asian Mate :),and look like i only have 10 cents in my back pocket..
willair..

Maybe so. But maybe they ARE interested in your exact location at an exact date and time. I'd rather keep that as private as possible. Of course I'd divulge that information to authorities if ever necessary, but letting public companies just build up that info over time doesn't sit well with me.

Do you have a mobile phone - if so, then your phone company knows the approximate area where you are at any given moment.

g

then he remarks to me that he's got $3,500 in his wallet...and to prove it he pulls out his wallet to show me the wedge of green notes!

quote]
Happened to me today at the car auctions,the middle aged Asian man,who was in the line to pay his bill.he has told me many times he came here in a boat in the 70's and now owns 1% of real estate in Darra,"can't be that much money in fast food and butcher shops and asian supermarkets":rolleyes: ,and is at every action i go too for the last ten years,he pulls out 50k in wad of $100 dollar bills and pays his bill,he drives an old car,never seen him in new clothes,the van he drives is full of junk but he carries that level of cash around with him all the time,if you were to go too the truck auctions then you will see people who drop 300k in cash that they carry,i have never had a problem with large amount of money in my back pocket,because i dress worse then my Asian Mate :),and look like i only have 10 cents in my back pocket..
willair..

Sounds like "white powder Ma" from that 80's movie whose name I forget but was directed by Michael Cinimo I think.

Do you have a mobile phone - if so, then your phone company knows the approximate area where you are at any given moment.

Yes, so one company has that kind of info. So I guess I should share it around with every other company I come into contact with.

Sounds like "white powder Ma" from that 80's movie whose name I forget but was directed by Michael Cinimo I think.
It's all from real estate:),he is still fighting the BCC about the super market he set up on the main highway at Darra he just built the place without anyone knowing what was going on- all the steel-materials that built that place came from the auctions,anyone that knows Darra would know what i'm talking about,he came here with nothing, that's one item you can learn from Asians they tie every menber of their family into the Business anyone that marries into that family would be laughing,as long as you wanted to work 12 hours a day 7 days a weeks day in day out no in betweens..imho willair..

It's all from real estate:),he is still fighting the BCC about the super market he set up on the main highway at Darra he just built the place without anyone knowing what was going on- all the steel-materials that built that place came from the auctions,anyone that knows Darra would know what i'm talking about,he came here with nothing, that's one item you can learn from Asians they tie every menber of their family into the Business anyone that marries into that family would be laughing,as long as you wanted to work 12 hours a day 7 days a weeks day in day out no in betweens..imho willair..

I'll do a drive by and see. As for White powdre Ma- regrettably Darra is one of the major supply conduits of both heroin and speed as I understand the situation from my discussions with Qld Police service. Darra and Inala just across the way.

PS Property investors - get some office space in Inala and you will have tenants falling over each other- a tough nut to crack though.:D

Back