Funny guy at the SRO

So I'm at the SRO in Melbourne yesterday getting a new trust deed stamped, and I'm chatting to the guy behind the counter about the price ($200 in Vic) to get it stamped, and we're talking about how long it takes to earn $200, etc, then he remarks to me that he's got $3,500 in his wallet...and to prove it he pulls out his wallet to show me the wedge of green notes!

Then, this is the weird thing, he justifies the cash by saying "I do shares", which of course are the one asset that cash is never used for!

He then goes on to tell me that he's only there for the govt super, but he's goingto quit when he gets to $1m.

Some people are too funny!

wierd...

Even in the rare instances I have that much 'cash' on me (who carries that much cash regularly??) I certainly wouldn't be advertising the fact to strangers. :O

Of course. if he was THAT smart and such a great share trader, he wouldn't be walking around with the cash in his wallet. It would be out working for him.
What a clown.

I would have probed him with more questions. sounds like an interesting guy. People carry cash because they do not have a fear of losing it.

I would have probed him with more questions. sounds like an interesting guy. People carry cash because they do not have a fear of losing it.

That may be true of some. But there are many others who carry cash and show it off to others due to their own insecurities.
In my experience, those who carry cash and have no fear of losing it tend to be the ones who don't flash it around to strangers. They tend to be quietly confident and secure in their own skin.

That may be true of some. But there are many others who carry cash and show it off to others due to their own insecurities.
In my experience, those who carry cash and have no fear of losing it tend to be the ones who don't flash it around to strangers. They tend to be quietly confident and secure in their own skin.

Rob I think you hit the nail on the head there, I think it was his insecurity. I was there getting a trust deed stamped and I am the trustee of that particular deed, so perhaps he thought I was wealthy (which is far from the truth) so he was showing off that he's also 'wealthy'.

And as Rugrat pointed out, why on earth would you tell a stranger? Ok I was well dressed in a business suit, but you still never know!

In fact it's just reminded me of a sketch from the Paul Hogan show when Hoges and Strops went to a restaurant and Hoges started to rattler the change in his pocket to show the diners that he had money..I used to love watching that show in the early 80s when I was a little kid, and that was when I was growing up in Ireland with no idea that I'd end up living in Melbourne.

I use cash as much as possible. I know it's leaning toward the paranoid side of things, but I don't particularly want CBA or Visa having a record of every single shop I visit. One ATM visit per week is usually all I need.

Goodness. I haven't used cash (of any denomination) in an awfully long time.

Never use it, never need it and unfortunately never get it :(

My boss pulled his wallet out the other day to pay for his lunch as I was going to the shop and he had a huge wad of cash. Mostly green. I'd be in a panic all day in case I lost my wallet!

I'm not much of a spender Ian, I'm quite sure that no one is interested in my purchases at Woolies or the petrol station!

Because of the various cards/accounts and ease of money transfer between people and banks nowadays it's unusal and unnecessary to carry so much money around.

There really is no need unless you want to do dodgy deals or run a cash business :eek:. My guess is he's a wannabe :rolleyes:.

ps. I bet he drives a convertable and wears bling away from the office.

I'm quite sure that no one is interested in my purchases at Woolies or the petrol station!

Maybe so. But maybe they ARE interested in your exact location at an exact date and time. I'd rather keep that as private as possible. Of course I'd divulge that information to authorities if ever necessary, but letting public companies just build up that info over time doesn't sit well with me.

Maybe so. But maybe they ARE interested in your exact location at an exact date and time. I'd rather keep that as private as possible. Of course I'd divulge that information to authorities if ever necessary, but letting public companies just build up that info over time doesn't sit well with me.

You're not the only one. Someone I know with a net worth in the nine figure range only ever uses the green stuff. Doesn't trust cards and it's not an age thing - he is only in his 40s. I remember when he wanted to buy a $3k present for someone his biggest problem was how to get that much cash out of an ATM as he wouldn't normally spend anywhere near that much at a shop...

You wouldn't know it - drives a Falcon, only a few years ago he actually bought an apartment for himself to live in - always renting before. Hasn't even got around to furnishing it yet - still sleeps on a mattress on the floor! Still works his rear end off every day doing what he loves (in the business). It takes all sorts - he's enjoying it at least...

So I'm at the SRO in Melbourne yesterday getting a new trust deed stamped, and I'm chatting to the guy behind the counter about the price ($200 in Vic) to get it stamped, and we're talking about how long it takes to earn $200, etc, then he remarks to me that he's got $3,500 in his wallet...and to prove it he pulls out his wallet to show me the wedge of green notes!

Then, this is the weird thing, he justifies the cash by saying "I do shares", which of course are the one asset that cash is never used for!

He then goes on to tell me that he's only there for the govt super, but he's goingto quit when he gets to $1m.

Some people are too funny!

He's one of the lucky ones, for the majority "shares do them" ;)

I used to carry around what i called the 'wad' when i was a sparkie doing a lot of cash work. It was up to and over $5000 at times and was about 2 inches rolled up with an elastic band. Was a great feeling.

I had fun watching peoples faces when i pulled it out at shops and peeling off a $50 or $100 note. Used to embarrass my wife no end. :D

It all stopped when i went for govt/commercial contracts and no more cash work. :(

By the way, i don't see the connection between insecurity and carrying cash. ITS GREAT FUN!:)

Rob, i found this one ironic.

"They tend to be quietly confident and secure in their own skin."

"Cash is King", remember?
Most people are just not able to deal with or manage having cash in their pocket. It's those who are insecure that don't carry it.
The only time I would'nt use cash is if it was a biz expense.
Otherwise it's nobody's bizness but mine.

"Cash is King", remember?
Most people are just not able to deal with or manage having cash in their pocket. It's those who are insecure that don't carry it.
The only time I would'nt use cash is if it was a biz expense.
Otherwise it's nobody's bizness but mine.

Is cash in the bank not King?

I think people that can't manage cash don't have much in their wallet or in the bank.

Unless you regularly get paid cash like in Evand's case why would you withdraw 3.5K from the bank to hold in your wallet instead?

Back