Funny listings history

I was doing some research a property through Pricefinder and noticed it had a really strange listings history.

Property has been listed on and off for the past 6 months. In that time it has been through several different agencies. The sales price originally started at a certain level, dropped down substantially (over 100k) then shot back up to be higher than what it originally was advertised for. The variation in the asking price is huge, over 150k. Each price change has also been with a different agency.

Anybody know what might be going on?

Mind linking the property?

Here's one scenario -
1st price - It was rundown and no one was interested. Agent's listed it as is.
2nd price - new agent convinced them it was rundown so have to sell it for less
3rd price - even at the 2nd price no one was still interested , so they did a major reno on it and enlisted another agent to sell it like that.

Matches your description at least. Possibly a bunch of other scenarios. Why don't you ask them?

Last edited:
Anybody know what might be going on?

It could be as DT said, but in the present day, you can't discount the possibility that the vendor has mental health issues, or a drug problem or is emotionally disturbed in some way.

Occasionally, it can be that the vendor's circumstances change - have to sell urgently to buy a house currently on the market that they want & are desperate sellers, for a time. Then if they miss that house or have a relative in their ear about what their house 'should' be worth, and back on the market it goes at a higher price etc.

Then you have REAs selling their own property - and changing circumstances around that.

The possibilities are almost unlimited.

Reminds me a bit of a house I looked at a couple of months ago. This is in a suburb where entry level stuff is selling in days or weeks, nothing lasts over a month. It was listed in December at offers over $450K. There's signs of leaks in 4 rooms, needs a new kitchen & bathroom, there's rot on the back wall from an old, now repaired, leak & you need to be a goat to comfortably use the back yard. In Feb I was told he would take no less than $440K, he'd been offered $430K which he turned down. It now has offers over $470K on it. Good luck with that buddy! Mind you, the suburb's on the move, if he waits long enough he might get it.

Back