Gap under shower door

Hello,

We moved into our new PPOR two days ago. Everything is great except one issue with the shower. There is a gap of about an inch under the door which causes a lot of water to leak out. I have been to numerous stores and all the door seals are not wide enough to cover the gap. I think the screen was not fitted properly. Any thoughts short of redoing the entire thing?

Last edited:
Do these help? The first photo is the left side panel and the second is the door.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 897
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 875
Looks like you need a raised "bump" half circle "thingy". We've just had a shower installed and it has a little clear "speed bump" (I'm sure there is a correct name for it :D). Works pretty well. Try a shower screen shop and you could probably install it yourself.

We went to a shower store today and they recommended the seal but it wasn't quite wide enough. Do you have a pic of what you're referring to?

That floor fitting should have some adjustment in it.

The problem may be that the glass was a bit short and they lifted it at the bottom to meet the top hinge.

In any case, I don't think that adjusting the glass will fix your problem as I think it's more a case of the floor not having enough of a slope.

Te speed bump idea would be good as it would act as a dam to give the water time to run to the drain.

Cheers

Here is a photo of the little half round chrome "speed bump" thingy that keeps the water in. We have a sliding door so the water hitting the door is actually about an inch inside this little speed bump. It works well but a bit of water does hit the tiled floor and splash under the door. It doesn't leak or make the floor wet, but it is not perfect.

When I was shopping for prices, other companies had clear ones, but this one is chrome.

If someone dropped a washer over the drain or stood on the drain long enough it would not take long for the water to breach this little thing, but it does the job under normal showering conditions.

Thanks so much :) I'm guessing that'd stop water coming under the door but not the sides, is that right? Could we cut smaller pieces and put them near the side panels? We were recommended to use this silicone wet area sealant but part of the gaps are a bit wide (first pic above) so not sure if it'd work or look good.

I have seen these type of showers in hotels and for the fixed panels they had a stainless steel channel fixed to the tiles and the clear sheet sitting within that.

Perhaps a tiler / plumber can comment but now that it is installed I guess it is a tube of silicon or a piece of stainless steel angle fixed to the tiles for the fixed panels and some sort of barrier on the floor for under the door

I have found one store that stocks the speed bump thingys. For a ~2cm gap, would a 5mm one be fine or should we go for the 20mm size?

Thanks for all the advice so far. It is very helpful :)

Well we've sealed up the gaps under the side panels and this has worked really well. We went with the 5mm speed bump thingy as the 20mm would take 1-2 days to be ready as it takes longer to get cut down. My husband also purchased this flap thing for under the door. Neither of these seem to be doing the job as water is still getting out under the door.

Is it possible to remove the 5mm speed bump after it has been stuck down and replace it with the higher one without ruining the tiles etc? Not sure what else we can do :confused:

Why not send the photos to a shower screen company and ask what they suggest, what it would cost for them to come out and do it properly.

I hadn't realised that the first photo was not the door, but a side wall?

What on earth was the installer thinking leaving that gap???

Perhaps contact an engineer from the Netherlands, they really know how to hold water back lol..."Tenk you ferry muts"

I never want to stop at those windows but I have to stop for the red lights.

*** off topic alert ***. As you were.

A policeman pulls a driver over for running a red light.

Policeman: "Driver didn't you see that red light back there"

Driver: "Red light?, I didn't even see the house!"

Back