Garage has to be set back by a meter rule

You can lodge a DA for whatever you want, provided the land use is permissible under the zoning. Complying development is a very different thing. There is no merit consideration and no appeal. You either apply or you don't.

I work with a lot of architects getting houses that look very different. But most of them don't go down CDC because it is not appropriate for them.

Council has not banned it. They would prefer to see it behind, however the purpose of a DA is to allow for merit consideration. It is banned under CDC for sound design reasons. This just means you have to go through a DA rather than the 10 day approval path.

The fact that other neighbours have it in the front of the house is a positive in terms of the merit assessment process.

Do you really want your tenants living right next to you in that granny flat???

*1:30am Sunday morning.

Oi! Fisher! FISSSHHHHEEERRRRR The dunny is blocked mate. Can you come over and have a squizz?

You get my drift.

If this is a problem I can rent it out via an agency and tell the agent not to disclose that I am a landlord, I can pretend I am a renter too.

Besides we have rental shortage here in Sydney so the tenant who gives me trouble won't stay there for long.

It's not that easy to just boot out a tenant rental shortage or not.

Even agency managed, I would imagine it would be pretty hard to detach yourself from it when it is right infront (behind I guess) you.

There have been a few threads on here from people who did similar things and regretted it later.

Your land, your money though at the end of the day. :D

It's not that easy to just boot out a tenant rental shortage or not.

Even agency managed, I would imagine it would be pretty hard to detach yourself from it when it is right infront (behind I guess) you.

There have been a few threads on here from people who did similar things and regretted it later.

Your land, your money though at the end of the day. :D

Well, most of the granny flats rented out have landlords living next to the tenants. In my case (corner block) the tenants will access their flat via different street and will not have windows overlooking my backyard. So I am better off then most people in this situation.

Please feel free to post those threads, it would be interesting to read and prepare myself for the worst.

In the ideal world I would like an acreage close to Sydney CBD and no granny flats/neighbors around ,but the reality is: I can either do the granny flat and get my new house now or wait 5-7 years in the old one. I prefer the first option.

I can rent it out via an agency and tell the agent not to disclose that I am a landlord

Can you ??

Once again, I think your assumptions are very much normal but in no way reflect reality.

I think you'll find by law you are compelled to disclose to the Tenant in the Lease documentation your name and address. Could be wrong.

Back