Garage to Secondary Dwelling, Blacktown NSW.

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My friend wants to convert his 10a Garage/Home office with an approved toilet and shower into a detached secondary dwelling. He lives in Blacktown, NSW.

The existing garage building is 76m² and 900mm off the rear boundary and so it won't comply with 10(1)(a) - 3m rear setback and 23(2)(h) - max 60m² in the Affordable Rental Housing SEPP.

The LEP is fairly quiet on detached secondary dwellings, only saying that they are permissible with consent but there is no way to comply with the parking requirements and shared driveway requirements set out in the DCP.

Should he put in an application under the LEP/DCP with a report that triggers SEPP 1 - Development Standards (6) and have the application assessed on merit?

The council have given no indication if they would be lenient with the parking requirements set out in the DCP. Would my friend just be wasting his DA fees.

Are there any others ways to convert a garage/home office into a secondary dwelling?

Cheers

Agentvlin, I would recommend brazen advice for you. The requirements are not so hard to fulfill. I did convert my garage and I'm really happy that I did it that way.

Garage

Hi Donnell2

Well done!

May i know what renos you did in the garage and how much did it cost?

Was the rental good and in which suburb?

tks

Agentvlin, I would recommend brazen advice for you. The requirements are not so hard to fulfill. I did convert my garage and I'm really happy that I did it that way.

+1. Brazen has helped get approval for my 2nd garage conversion now. Very easy and straight forward process.

Was just told by council that you can't do a conversion using the SEPP! They refused to accept the application :confused:

Wow, some Council's really need to learn how to read the Affordable Rental Housing SEPP.

Ive approved scores of garages (or sheds) into granny flats just this year in NSW. I was actually recently flown up to Byron Bay to do one because the Local Council wouldn't do it, so this isn't unusual.

I have an email here from NSW Planning clearly confirming the conversion process. Read these guides if it helps: http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/garage-conversion-guides

You just need to speak with the right people Agentvlin :)

Brazen.

Seriously, just talk to Brazen.

I get enquiries every so often and I just refer then straight to him. Hard to find anyone who knows more about granny flats.

Seriously, just talk to Brazen.

I get enquiries every so often and I just refer then straight to him. Hard to find anyone who knows more about granny flats.

+1 for Brazen. I just finished a garage conversion/extension in Lethbridge Park which was his brainchild. Very happy customer! :D

Hi Agentvlin,

You can indeed convert an existing structure into a granny flat under the 10-day Government SEPP. There are some special requirements which you can read about here: http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/garage-conversion-guides and

here: http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/garage-conversions

Brazen.

Hi Brazen
Just had a quick look at pricing, are these for g/flat? I would expect conversion of garage to g/flat to be much cheaper, as structure in place and if roof height and set backs conform to council requirements??

Cheers
MTR

Hi Brazen
Just had a quick look at pricing, are these for g/flat? I would expect conversion of garage to g/flat to be much cheaper, as structure in place and if roof height and set backs conform to council requirements??

Cheers
MTR

Hi MTR,

RE: Conversion Pricing vs New Granny Flat Pricing

Approving a garage-into-granny flat is more detailed than an approval for a brand new granny flat dwelling. An existing 'shell' or partly completed Class-10a structure (shed/garage) needs to be inspected/certified and all BCA performance criteria must be demonstrated on plan. This includes (and not limited to) existing frame and slab certification, waterproofing, termite proofing, glazing standards, minimum fire separation and minimum insulation to mention just a few.

A structural Engineer also needs to visit your property, inspect the existing structure and provide advice if works are needed to bring the structure up to the relevant Austrtralian Standards + the BCA.

So it is more involved than a new structure. With new construction, everything is perfectly visible as each stage of construction progresses. The approval pricing difference isn't huge - around $900. This money covers the cost for the Engineer's on-site inspections and report etc.

You may also notice that I personally provide a 100% Money-Back Guarantee on my approvals. So, if we don't get you your approval for any reason, you get all your money back. It doesn't get any better than that.

My website lists all of this^ + every task I personally need to perform.
I hope this helps.

Brazen.

Back