Garden or Laundry

Advice anyone?

I have 3k to either renovate laundry / toilet, or put into paving and outdoor living area.

Current laundry is workable but tacky. Backyard has grass and not much privacy.

Which do I pay to have overhauled?

Will try and sort photos.

Til then -
North facing backyard has tree lined rear fence, paling west fence, open east to common driveway (battleaxe sub - front house), old tired Hoist. It's the car park space also so I'm contemplating sealed with roller door, some private decking area for brekky etc.
Laundry is a seventies renovation with those tiny mosaic tiles, old lino, single laundry tub in the corner. Serviceable but hardly attractive.

Ask yourself this..

Where will prospective purchasers spend more time .. in the garden having fun or in the Laundry doing work?

If the house has limited storage .. then possibly spend it on the laundry adding storage.

To answer your question ask a few decision makers (women); they will point you in the right direction.

I dolubt that a laundry makes or breaks a sale on a house or really affects value (except for storage reasons).

cheers

RightValue

Til then -
North facing backyard has tree lined rear fence, paling west fence, open east to common driveway (battleaxe sub - front house), old tired Hoist. It's the car park space also so I'm contemplating sealed with roller door, some private decking area for brekky etc.

So main needs are:

- Parking
- Deck for eating
- Washing line
- Privacy

If hoist is tired and it's taking up room, maybe replace. Or if not, just re-wire?

My own small deck cost about $600 to build, paving might be $1000 depending on area.

Get a few geraniums, stick them in the ground and hope they grow.

Lawn is cheaper but too much work for me.

Laundry is a seventies renovation with those tiny mosaic tiles, old lino, single laundry tub in the corner. Serviceable but hardly attractive.

Would putting in new lino and painting over the tiles (tile paint) and laundry tub (if the white cabinet type) make a difference for not much money?

Why not a split - 80% on the garden and 20% on the laundry.

Julie

I'd spread that money around a bit over both areas. Paint the laundry and add some storage, shelving. Jars of soap powder, brightly coloured pegs etc on open shelving can look really quite good. If toilet is shabby, try a new seat or even new cistern and pan. They are less expensive than you think. Paint the doors and door frames. Add a bright rug to cover up the worse of the floor.

Outside: Lose the clothesline. The ones that hang on your wall are much better and can be folded flat when not used. If you can't afford a 'proper' deck, get rid of an area of grass and pave using the biggest and best pavers you can get your hands on, put pebbles in-between or dichondra (grassy stuff) for a nice look - Use a sail or a freestanding gazebo thing for cover. I saw some nice ones in Bunnings on the weekend - they ranged from $350-750 depending on what they had as a roof. They were all about the same size but I can't remember if they were 3x3 or 5x5 (sorry), later on if you wanted to, they would hold a spa nicely.

Just some ideas to spread the money over both areas which I hope helps you.

All the best

Back