Gardening Secrets!!!? (Grass)

With all the recent rains and storms in Queensland grass has been growing heaps...

so got me thinking.. :confused: is there a way to make it so you don't have to mow as much?

I know a lot of you will say nah nothing you can do just have to get it over with. it's a pain but have to do it.

I'm thinking is it possible to cover the grass in a large area with some Bunnings material so nothing grows? then later just uncover the area. and let the grass recover??:confused:

Other extreme ideas are like build a badmington or basketball court over it etc.

also weed more the grass is that nice grass and those don't grow as much?

Do you have any tips or tricks?

Please share your secret tips thanks in advance. :)

Yes.

Roundup is a very powerful grow inhibiter.

By watering it down to different concentrations, you can control the length of time the grass stops growing for.

Yes.

Roundup is a very powerful grow inhibiter.

By watering it down to different concentrations, you can control the length of time the grass stops growing for.

I would just add to this to trial some test patches in some inconspicuous areas prior to doing your whole lawn in case you kill your yard.

pinkboy

Buffalo grass is great for low maintenance. My lawn only needs mowing once a week AT MOST in summer, and NEVER during winter which is Sydney is like end of May to September.

Just fertilise only when the lawn is actually growing, otherwise you're just feeding the weeds.

Buffalo grass is great for low maintenance. My lawn only needs mowing once a week AT MOST in summer, and NEVER during winter which is Sydney is like end of May to September.

Just fertilise only when the lawn is actually growing, otherwise you're just feeding the weeds.

Once a week? wtf.

With all the recent rains and storms in Queensland grass has been growing heaps...

so got me thinking.. :confused: is there a way to make it so you don't have to mow as much

Do you have any tips or tricks?

Please share your secret tips thanks in advance. :)

Move to an apartment

Not sure what you mean. In summer after rain, Kikuyu can need knowing every 2 or 3 days.

I love my kikuyu lawn even though it's fairly unusual here in Canberra. I mow it every week in summer, and never in winter.

Personally I love mowing, and looking after my lawns. I find it satisfying and therapeutic. Maybe I should start a business looking after lawns...?

Investigate some different species. I heard there were some buffalo grasses that don't grow as quickly as others.
My brother lives outside Port Douglas and has a mown 2,000sqm backyard. In the growing season, I think he sleeps on his ride-on mower.

Personally I love mowing, and looking after my lawns. I find it satisfying and therapeutic. Maybe I should start a business looking after lawns...?

Ditto.

Every Saturday I work in the morning then look forward to getting out the Scott Bonnar and getting that MCG pattern into the front lawn.

I have couch, which grows like mad. My Dad has palmetto and mows fortnightly rather than weekly in summer.

Back